Skip to main content
Topic: Ford V10 mileage report for "our find" (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Ford V10 mileage report for "our find"
Yahoo Message Number: 277
For those asking about mpg on the Ford V10, here are the numbers we got on the 1999 30' we just bought and drove from Las Vegas to central Texas this weekend:

9.2 60-65 mph, Henderson, LV to Flagstaff, AZ (HILLS)  with a jaunt up to the Grand Canyon, running the  generator full time for the coach AC even when parked at  Hoover Dam.

9.4 60-68 mph, Flagstaff to Santa  Rosa, NM (lots of hill climbing), generator running for  a couple of hours to charge the batteries in the  laptop.

9.5 60-68 mph, Santa Rosa to Childress, TX, no
 generator use.

We don't have the numbers from Childress to cen. Tex yet. It was much flatter than the other portions of the trip, but we hit delays on I-35 due to torrential downpours yesterday evening.

The V10 had plenty of power - we never really dropped speed on the hills and held our own with the rest of the traffic. The 2000 V10 is supposed to have more HP and a slightly better gas mileage figure. I haven't heard what the design improvement was (computer chip, intake, exhaust, etc.)

It handled really well. I had to make a couple of sudden slow-downs and felt solidly in control. Passing trucks weren't noticeable. We will be replacing the stock Ford shocks with Bilsteins and the steering stabilizer with the heavy duty Saf-T unit to help on rough and uneven highways (like I-40 through New Mexico - UGH!).

Overall, we are very impressed with our Lazy Daze!

Michelle & Steve

Ford V10 mileage report for
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 279
Monte,

I agree - we are still amazed that we found it!

We originally considered the diesel a good thing, but - it does put a lot more weight on the front axel, the additional cost is probably in the $4K range, while fuel costs may be lower per gallon, we're hearing the mpg isn't that much better than the V10, so it will take a long time to recoup the additional cost of the engine, and a friend has the new PS diesel in her truck and maintenance costs seem to be higher than for the V10 gas.

I think it comes down to whether you're used to a diesel or not. If not, as with us, we decided it wasn't for us and would have gone with gas even if we'd ordered new. But, if you're "tried and true" on driving a diesel pickup, you might be more comfortable with that engine.

Michelle

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 283
Michele, I was told by Lazy Daze that owners are seeing 11 mpg with the diesel. I was really surprised to here that it was that low. So I am still waffling on the D option at $4950.00.
Yes Diesels do require more maintenance on oil and filter changes. I am not real familiar with the power stroke. I burned up a chevy 6.5 turbo diesel pulling a fifth wheel up a grade in Wyoming. That will ruin your day! So maybe I'll stick to the gas! Thanks Monte

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 284
Michele, I was told by Lazy Daze that owners are seeing 11 mpg with the diesel. I was really surprised to here that it was that low. So I am still waffling on the D option at $4950.00.
Yes Diesels do require more maintenance on oil and filter changes. I am not real familiar with the power stroke. I burned up a chevy 6.5 turbo diesel pulling a fifth wheel up a grade in Wyoming. That will ruin your day! So maybe I'll stick to the gas! Thanks Monte

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 285