Skip to main content
Topic: SWAMP COOLER (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
SWAMP COOLER
Yahoo Message Number: 2428
Can some of you members fill me in on what exactly a swamp cooler is, and how it works. I ordered a 2001 30' IB in November, to be picked up in June. If this is a viable option we may add it on.
Thanks, Andy & Char Karafa, South Bend, IN

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2430
You may be too late to add a swamp cooler (or have it cost a bundle) because a water line has to be added through the walls. A swamp cooler is an evaporative cooler - water is flung over a thick filter and a fan directs air through it. The evaporation causes the air to cool. It runs on 12V and on high speed only uses 5 amps, so it is great as a boondock air conditioner. In very dry desert air, it works very well - almost as well as the 120V roof air conditioner. But as humidity goes up, it becomes less efficient so at about 70% humidity it does nothing for cooling. Hence if you live and travel East of the Rockies, it may not be right for you. It also acts as an intake or exhaust fan without the water turned on. It used to be standard on the Lazy Daze but some customers complained that they were paying for it and not using it, so about 1999 it became an option. For us, living in the West, I would not be without it. Hope this helps. Gus Weber

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2431
Andy, swamp cooler is a device that sits up on your roof like a roof A/C. It has a reversible fan and a control for adding water for a cooling effect. The water is drawn from your fresh water tank. The cooling effect is derived from air flow(fan) and additional humidity(water). Bottom line is that its a very effective system in dry heat conditions, like the California desert, and worthless in high humidity heat(like Houston). I believe the L.D. materials state that the swamp cooler is recomended west but not east of the Mississippi. Many of the L.D's that remain in Calif were ordered with swamp coolers only(no roof A/C) and were fine for that area. Of less help to we Texans. So, what are the summers like where you will be doing most of your camping?

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2432
"The cooling effect is derived from air flow(fan) and additional humidity(water)."

Actually, the cooling effect takes place because it takes energy (heat) to evaporate water. As you push air through the water-soaked foam pad, it evaporates more quickly than it would on its own, 'sucking' heat out of the air as it does, and thus cooling that air. The humidity is an unfortunate side effect and hinderance to efficiency. As stated, effectiveness falls off as humidity increases.

We find ours most useful for short stops in the desert enroute, to keep the inside comfortable. For extended dry camping, it will deplete the water rather rapidly, and the battery drain is higher than a Fantastic Fan.

Maintenance is also greater than for air conditioning. The pad gets dirty and can build up mold and mildew, so must be serviced regularly. Operating in the high-humidity created, components are subject to rust and corrosion over time.

But in balance, we are glad we have ours.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2435
We have a swamp cooler and would not be without one. We use it for short stops and to keep our Labrador cool while we are in a restaurant or whatever. We have also had it on along with the A/C in Las Vegas when the temp. is 110 and we are hooked up. The power failed several times and the cooler cotinued to run on battery, saving our pet. We realize that they are not compatable, butit is better than nothing in hot weather Something to think about.

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2436
This is another example of the value of this club. The swamp cooler is not on Lazy Daze list of available options. Buyers who don't have benefit of prior knowledge, such as this group, don't even know that swamp coolers are still available as an option!

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2437
In my 1985, I have no choice but to use the swamp cooler as I don't have a roof AC. One negative aspect of the evaporative cooler is that it's not very effective while going down the road. Water tends to spill out either on the roof or through the grill and into the motor home.

I too would not be without it.
If you plan to do any boondocking at all, I think the ultimate setup is having an AC unit, a swamp cooler, and a Fantastic Fan.

~Greg

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2440
A Swamp Cooler uses evaporating water to cool air drawn in to the coach. Water is sprayed on an open-mesh filter through which the air passes. Water is pumped to the roof-top cooler from the coach's domestic water.

The system works most effectively when the air is dry enough to take up a lot of water. Thus, they work best in dry climates. East of the Rockies, a conventional air conditioner is more effective.

The cooler is relatively economical to use --only a 12-volt blower to run --no high power consuming A/C compressor or 110-volt power required.

bob phillips

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2441
There is a good reason why you don't know what a "Swamp Cooler" is. No one uses them for cooling east of the Rockies. The West, for the most part, has low humidity. Unless you plan on moving out here or traveling here extensively, save the money and extra weight by not ordering it. Very few people camps in the desert in the summertime unless they can plug their a/c' s in. The swamp cooler never works as well as the a/c in most conditions. I think the major reason why Lazy Daze had them in the past was due to their philosophy of self contained camping without hook ups or generators. Now, there are more campgrounds with hook ups and all LD's come with generators, so the company's vision has slighty changed. Rooftop a/c was an option in the past.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 2475
The swamp cooler thread answered something I was wondering about. I was wondering why Lazy Daze RVs come with an oversized water tank compared to other class C's. I thought LD might be going after the survivalist market. The extra capacity for a evaporative cooler makes sense.

Bigakar, we are probably one of the few planning a trip to the South Bend area sometime this summer. Maybe we will run across each another. Didn't get the swamp cooler, but we did get the extra holding tank insulation for those cold weather trips to your part of the country.

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 2476
The swamp cooler thread answered something I was wondering about. I was wondering why Lazy Daze RVs come with an oversized water tank compared to other class C's. I thought LD might be going after the survivalist market. The extra capacity for a evaporative cooler makes sense.

Bigakar, we are probably one of the few planning a trip to the South Bend area sometime this summer. Maybe we will run across each another. Didn't get the swamp cooler, but we did get the extra holding tank insulation for those cold weather trips to your part of the country.

SWAMP COOLER
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 2477