Skip to main content
Topic: RK Owners?? (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
RK Owners??
Yahoo Message Number: 2304
As the order date nears, the quesions mount.
Still looking for input on the "ideal" floorplan.
We're "only" a couple looking for a design which would support a very occasional visitor. Have reviewed posts in detail but see very little on the Rear Kitchen 26.5'.
Are we missing something.
Seems like the open area of the RB but with an optional (dinette) sleeping area the RB doesn't have??

Thanks.

RK Owners??
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2313
I ordered the 26.5RB and expect to pick it up in late august or september. My memory of the RK when we visited the factory is that because the bath is still in the middle of the RV, it cuts the living space into two parts. I found that made it seem smaller. There is a dinette that folds down for sleeping in the RB, it is across from the stove in the middle of the RV.
The downside would be if you had guests everyone would be sleeping in the same area and there would be less privacy. If you don't expect that to happen often (as we don't) that wouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps.

JH

RK Owners??
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2314
I ordered the 26.5RB and expect to pick it up in late august or september. My memory of the RK when we visited the factory is that because the bath is still in the middle of the RV, it cuts the living space into two parts. I found that made it seem smaller. There is a dinette that folds down for sleeping in the RB, it is across from the stove in the middle of the RV.
The downside would be if you had guests everyone would be sleeping in the same area and there would be less privacy. If you don't expect that to happen often (as we don't) that wouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps.

JH

RK Owners??
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2315
The 26 1/2 Rear Bath also has a dinnet that makes into a small bed. The rear kitchen is ideal if one person stays up late and or the other one gets up early.
You can have privicy and not destrib one another.
Bill

RK Owners??
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2316
This club includes owners of 100's of rigs from the late 70s to 2000. The RK floor plan was introduced new in 2000, so there just aren't very many of us out there.

My wife and I reached the same conclusion you're leaning towards. I think the RK works really well if you're sleeping in the cabover. If I were sleeping down below, I'd lean towards an MB rear lounge plan since it gives you the option of not doing the bed to sofa conversion if you're not expecting company.

Anyway, I like the RK, feel free to post specific questions. /noel/

RK Owners??
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2318
We ordered an RK to be picked up in late September. The RK seemed very practical to us because we like lots of light in the kitchen since we like to cook. 90%+ of the time there will only be two of us using the rig and we don't mind making a bed out of the two facing sofas in the lounge. Ed Newton of LD told us that with practice, we could get our bed ready in less than a minute. We are having an entertainment center put in over the cab instead of using that as a bed. If you don't have many places to sleep in your LD, maybe you won't be bothered with people wanting to stay over with you. The dinette makes into a small bed that is just right for our small grand children. The facing sofas give an excellent opportunity for storage compartments accessible from the outside.
We are newbees at RVing so you will probably want to get the take on the RK from someone more experienced than we are.

RK Owners??
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2320
Thanks for the reply. Like you, we are also novices. Similar to your likes for the RK light, we also liked the spacious, uncluttered lounge in the RB. But then got to thinking the "what if" should we decide to take on a relative or two for a trip or two. The RK at least gives us a small private area for someone whereas the RB gives nothing.

In researching the data sheet, I also note some statistical advantages of the RK including holding tank sizes, storage, hangar space, etc.

We'll take a real hard look at the RK again on the March trip. Thanks again.

RK Owners??
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2321
I am not sure it's true on all units, but if you order a sofa and twin barrel chairs, you give up valuable storage space. I have twin sofa's in my RK and it has a nice large, outside storage area on the curbside for folding chairs, tables etc. Twin barrel chairs do not give you that option.

Pete

RK Owners??
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2322
I am not sure it's true on all units, but if you order a sofa and twin barrel chairs, you give up valuable storage space. I have twin sofa's in my RK and it has a nice large, outside storage area on the curbside for folding chairs, tables etc. Twin barrel chairs do not give you that option.

Pete

RK Owners??
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 2323

Pete

RK Owners??
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 2326
Thanks Pete. While on a factory visit last March, Ed Newton did tell us the twin sofa option of the RB did allow an additional outside compartment. Like you, I can't speak for the other models with that option.

RK Owners??
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 2327
Does anyone know if one gets the entertainment option for the 261/2 RK do you lose one of the three standard roof vents.  My understanding is that the front escape hatch is lost.

Bobbie

RK Owners??
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 2328
I notice that a whole lot of questions being asked could easily be answered by picking up the phone and calling Lazy Daze directly at 909-627-1219 or 800-578-1103 outside CA. They have been nothing but helpful with the answers to any questions I have had about their product. If the phone doesn't meet your needs just send them an e-mail at  and you will receive a prompt reply; I have. My experience with them from Ed Newton on down has been a good one.

We ordered the entertainment system with our 26.5RK.
I would imagine if that space is filled with your TV and storage cabinets, you would naturally lose the escape hatch. How would you even be able to get to that hatch if was even there?

RK Owners??
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 2331
The entertainment is optional and you do lose the escape hatch.
We just ordered a rear kitchen with barrel chairs, entertainment center, satellite dish, evap. cooler, blue exterior stripe, teal interior. You can see the different models at Lazy Daze web site, LAZY DAZE .com This will be our 4th Lazy Daze. We have a 22' Rear Lounge, 1986/87 in absolutely excellent condition and are the original owners. Will sell for$16000 or any reasonable offer near that price

RK Owners??
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 2333
614, with 4 LDs under your belt, please share with us your reasoning for selecting a RK and any specific options. Really interested in your actual experiences on the road and camping for wanting a RK and desired options after having other floor plans. Thankyou so much.

Regards, Straf14
2001 Rear Bath

RK Owners??
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 2335
Hi, Yes the cabover escape hatch is lost.  Also the two side windows in the Cabover bed aarea are gone.  You gain several cabinets around the TV for stowage.

Bill

RK Owners??
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 2336
Hi, Yes the cabover escape hatch is lost.  Also the two side windows in the Cabover bed aarea are gone.  You gain several cabinets around the TV for stowage.

Bill

RK Owners??
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 2338
We have had 1 rear dinette--19 ft. We like the rear view, especially when backed up to a beautiful view. Next was a 22' rear lounge with the same view.
Next was another 22' rear lounge with the view. This is also nice if you have sleep over guests. One has more privacy with those two arrangements.
We liked the arrangement of the RK because no matter if the camping situation is a pull in or back in spot, the view is still there to enjoy. Also, when entertaining the dishes and cooking utensils can be shut off from view.
We selected the entertainment option because of our age and climbing up and down into bed. We selected the two chairs as opposed to two sofas because we felt it presented a more homey living room effect. The LD units have plenty of storage space so we didn't feel we would miss the extra outside space. We've had some very wonderful times in our LD rigs and have always been quite comfortable. They hold up so well and look elegant, even after many years of happy traveling. Original owners take very good care of their units. Hope this answers some of your questions.

RK Owners??
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 2340
Would you please provide more information about your LD that is being offered for sale? The usual kind of things such as miles, color schemes, special equipment such as a generator, solar panels, etc.
Also, where is your LD located? I see a pretty large number of 1980s LDs for sale for prices ranging from around $7,000 to about $12,000 located primarily in the southern part of California, but I can believe your LD may be in much better condition.