Skip to main content
Topic: A cover for your Lazy Daze?- A Question (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
A cover for your Lazy Daze?- A Question
Yahoo Message Number: 2299
For those of you who have used covers. What has the experience been like? Is it hard to put on and take off? What kind of problems have you had. Does it really keep your motorhome cleaner? And my big question, How hot does it get sitting in the sunshine in the middle of August? Is it warmer or cooler inside and how is the ventilation ? My 83 LD's paint died about 10 years ago. If I buy a new one, it would be nice to keep the paint in good shape a little longer.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

A cover for your Lazy Daze?- A Quest
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2301
The last time I was at LD I bought some polymer sealant by Finish Kare Products for the exterior painted surfaces. It ain't cheap, $23.50 for a 31-ounce bottle. But supposedly if you use it once a month or every three months, depending on the sun, it will help keep your paint finish in good shape.

-Bob, 2000 26.5' MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2302
Hi iw5315us: I used a cover for some time . It was just one of those hardward blue tarps. They doe keep it in good shape . Watch out for wind though the metle gromets will damage the paint. They have form fitting covers now but get one with a door zipper .
Bill

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2303
I purchased a custom made Sumbrella and it does a great job of protecting my unit from the FL sun.
Protects the paint as well as all caulking. Also keeps the inside cooler.

It is a two person job to install but well worth it.

Also protects the paint from bird droppings which will eat through any finish.

Becarefull of the blue tarps as they have a tendency to trap moisture.

Glenn

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2310
I've covered our LD with a blue plastic tarp for the last three winters.

They don't last long.
The sun ruins the material which then tears. Two winters per tarp.

I used a tarp that was 20-ft wide and about 12-feet longer than the rig. One guy can put it in place if its not too windy. Unroll it down the center of the rig and fold it out over the sides.

To tie down, I used the provided grommets. Tied the tarp under the belly of the rig and the ends to the ladder and rear bumper/hitch in badk and to a (ALCAN Highway)brush guard in front.

Getting in during the non-use periods required removing a couple of the belly-bands and squirming in the coach door.

In hot, sunny weather the tarp didn't raise the inside temp much compared to the white roof.

One problem: moisture attack of the shock abosrber rods when the rig is parked on damp ground.

bob phillips Oxford, MI

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2311
About the only thing that them blue tarps are good for is keeping your wood pile dry!!!!! If you use them for a RV cover, you will be amazed at just how quickly they will remove paint and decals with just a little breeze. If you should choose to go that route, good-luck. Even the wood pile suffers with them things.

Mick

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2312
Blue tarps are not all bad. I've spent time in Southeast Alaska and I know that blue tarps are a "legal" building material. It seem that every third house has their roof covered with one. I have never seen so many of them. I confess that I have used them on kayak trips on the North Coast several times. They are cheap.
And it sure rains a lot in Sitka. I'm just so happy it never rains here in Southern California. Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze