Skip to main content
Topic: Unknown e-mail messages (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Unknown e-mail messages
Yahoo Message Number: 2268
I admire your resolution about not opening e-mails from people you don't know but.........
You should REALLY be running an Antivirus program like Norton or Macafee. I worked in the PC Support Industry for the last 10 years and if those programs are kept updated 2/mo for Norton you have an efffective virus preventr.

Have you never opened a message from someone when you thought you knew who sent it and it turned out that it was from someone else?

There are two kinda people out there those who hav experienced and delt with a virus and those who are gonna.

What makes you think everyone that you get a message from (even the ones you know) are virus free?

Unknown e-mail messages
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2269
Amen to using a virus detection program. Just this afternoon my program detected a virus in an attachment from an old friend. She was amazed because she has the Norton program, but it turns out she did not configure it for checking E-mail.

This incident was maybe the tenth I've received. Another problem is being hacked. Until I installed a firewall, I had no idea how common hacking was, but now I get several alerts on EVERY internet session. I think the hackers decode the mailbox addresses, then automatically try to access any user asking for mail. This gives them access to your computer, including all non-password files. I think what they do this for is to get to YOUR ISP and then send thousands of spam messages in your name. Just read some of the Spammer ads - "Ten thousand E-mails with your message in them for $100". One last problem is spyware, where just accessing sites lets them put cookies on your machine that then reads and reports what sites you are visiting, and sells it to spammers who can tailor spam to your interests. Free spyware programs are available to periodically clean your cookie files.

Sorry for the OT, but this should be of interest to all.

Gus Weber

Unknown e-mail messages
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2271
If you want a real good, free firewall for your computer, you can't do much better than the one at Gibson Research ([url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://grc.com/default.htm). You can test your computer stealth there as well. I use BlackIce Defender which is also an excellent firewall. The Norton utilities package with virus protection is excellent for optimizing your computer and great virus protection. You must check often for software updates or virus protection is only in your dreams.

Kent