Skip to main content
Topic: Short Oil Use was sales tax (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Short Oil Use was sales tax
Yahoo Message Number: 2254
Have a look at the break-in instructions for new engines at www.paceparts.com ==>GM Performance ==>Crate Engines.

They recommend priming the engine oiling system by spinning the oil pump, running the engine for just 1/2 hour to knock the burrs off of the cam lobes and seat the piston rings. Then, the tell you to stop the engine, drain and replace the warm oil, change the filter. Replace the filter and oil and continue the break-in with mild engine loads and varying road speed.

This may be a little paranoid or reflect the realities of dirty (micron-sized dust) conditions in the average "shade-tree" hot rod shop.

OEM engine assemblies are very clean places, and the new parts probably do not spit chips into the oil.
Piston rings must seat instantly and last for 100,000 miles these days. I don't think it makes any sense at all to drive a new rig for 1/2 hour and do an oil change.

bob phillips

oil
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2259
I don't have a LD yet, but in my 79 Delta class C

22ft. I have a chev. 400 eng., and I use 4qts. of

Synthetic oil and one qt. of Marvel Mystery oil, and the engine runs very quiet. Two yrs. ago on a trip out west I got 11 miles a gallon, from mich.to colorado.