Skip to main content
Topic: Tires (Read 32 times) previous topic - next topic
Tires
Yahoo Message Number: 138971
When tires need to be changed do they all need done at same time as on my all wheel drive? If anyone knows of a VW pick-up for sale and good shape let me know think I want to use for a Toad.
Jan/Scottsdale AZ.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Tires
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 138975
"When tires need to be changed do they all need done at same time as on my all wheel drive? If anyone knows of a VW pick-up for sale and good shape let me know think I want to use for a Toad."

Jan
 For most of us, the tires time out before they wear out. Six years is the maximum I will run a set of tires, changing all six at the same time. If necessary, they can be replaced one axle at a time without problems. The rear axle tires should all be replaced at the same time to equalize the loading on each tire.
Many all-wheel drive vehicle have mechanical and electronic restrictions that require tires that all have the same diameter, they are normally replaced as complete sets.

What VW pickup are you looking for? The bus or the Rabbit version?
http://tinyurl.com/ccfy3rp>
http://tinyurl.com/cxsd8ld> VW bus pickups are very rare items and demand top dollar among collectors.
The VW Rabbit, in its various configurations, was not a very durable vehicle and I certainly would not recommend it.  Not sure if the Rabbits can be flat towed.
 A VW bug, in good condition, makes a great, lightweight toad and is a very capable back road vehicle. Realize it isn't a very safe vehicle, if crashed.
VW buses suffer even worse in crashes, with little protection for the driver and passengers. Their overworked and under-cooled engines were not known for their long-term durability. Rebuilding dozens of them did help pay for college, many decades ago.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 138976
"Larry"  wrote: A VW bug, in good condition, makes a great, lightweight toad and is a very capable back road vehicle.
--- Back in the day, I had a 1958 and a 1967 Volkswagen; wish I still did! Brings back a lot of memories!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

VW's - Off Topic
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 138978
"VW buses suffer even worse in crashes, with little protection for the driver and passengers. Their overworked and under-cooled engines were not known for their long-term durability."
 When I was a teenager owned a 61 VW bus. It was great for hauling my surfboard to the beach and back. Was so underpowered. The motor blew up on a trip in the Arizona desert. Left it there and hitch hiked home.
 One of the funniest bumper stickers I ever saw said "Don't ever get stuck behind a VW bus!

Bob

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 138979
If you are referring to the Subaru Forester, then yes - all four tires need to be replaced at the same time.  The all-wheel-drive needs the tires to be the same diameter to work right.

Dale 2005 FL

One finger typed on my iPad, which is responsible for all typos ;-)

Re: VW's - Off Topic
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 138981
In a message dated 5/7/2013 1:11:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  writes:

One of the funniest bumper stickers I ever saw said "Don't  ever get stuck behind a VW bus!

I owned a 1971 Westfalia Camper bus.  I saw another one like mine on  I-15 and it had a bumper sticker:  "Faster than a speeding turtle".   Escondido, CA John, MB 26.5 LD 2003

John in Escondido,  CA

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 138986

"I owned a 1971 Westfalia Camper bus.
CA John, MB 26.5 LD 2003

John
 Interesting coincidence! I also owned a 1971 VW Window Van (Bus). I bought it from a local dealer, special order from the factory while I was stationed at Rein/Main AFB. When my tour was up I had it shipped to the states and drove it until 1981.
 An amusing incident occured while on leave in Germany. The family and I are breezing down the Autobahn when two German Police came along side and made motions for me to go faster. Guess they thought I should drive like all the other Mensch.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 138988
In a message dated 5/7/2013 6:40:20 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

bought it from a local dealer, special order from the factory while I  was stationed at Rein/Main AFB. When my tour was up I had it shipped to the  states and drove it until 1981.>

Hey Steve a coincidence indeed.  I bought my Westphalia Bus in Ipswich, Suffolk, Endgland before returning to the  States after a 4.5 year assignment in Germany and England.  It was shipped  from Germany to England to New Jersey. Picked it up in Bayone, NJ in July 1971.  Drove it across the States to George AFB. Bought a home in Ventura, CA pending  my retirement.  I shuttled in the Bus 120 miles one way on weekends.   In the 10 month the engine was gone driving over them up and down  mountains.  After a year of ownership I traded it for a Pontiac  Catalina.  Escondido,  CA    John

John in Escondido,  CA

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 138990
Our 1971 VW camper was our transition from backpacking to a different lifestyle after we had our kiddo. I knew we could theoretically backpack with a baby, but the idea did not appeal, so we bought a used 1971 VW camper and drove it for years. Then we upgraded to (I think) a 1980 Westphalia, and then to a Lazy Daze.

I had no idea how many folks here had started with a Volkswagen!

Sonsie

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 138995
I also transitioned from backpacking to Tent Camping in a 1974 VW Thing.  This was late 70s and I have to say this was the most fun car I have ever owned.   I could take it anywhere and was able to do quite a few of the repairs. Big conversation piece on every trip.   My Father-n-Law did not like the car being a WW II Vet/ prisoner of war.  I did not have reverse for the first two years.  I got really good at finding a sloped driveway to turn around.   Drove off on our honeymoon in the VW Thing in 1982.  No one noticed me pushing the car back a few feet for clearance.
 Ralph Nader succeeded in having the VW Thing taken off the market as they were only imported 1973 and 1974.  A gas tank up front I'd hate to think what would happen on  a front end collision.  Sold to brother and someone hit him from behind.  He bounced off the convertible top and he claims the car saved his life.   I remember racing another VW Thing on Freeway hovering around 58 miles per hour max speed it was a tie.  Now I see them reconditioned on E-Bay for $15,000 (I paid $600 VGC with no reverse)
 The twin girls came along and then there was 15 years of the 1988 VW Vanagon full camper.  We had great vacations with this camper.   My bumper sticker read "0 to 60 in 5 minutes" which was not far off.   The last 5 years we only used for camping.  It was getting expensive to maintain to just use 2 weeks a year.   Based on costs we were paying over $100 a night to camp so it was time to sell.
 Then the mid life crisis sports car.   Not much fun as it does not invlove the whole family.   Sold to buy the Lazy Daze.
 We're now a new Lazy Daze Owner and we cannot wait to take on first vacation trip next month.  Yes, a big step up but would not trade the VW camping trips and memories for anything.

Larry D
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 138996
Steve Says:

"An amusing incident occured while on leave in Germany. The family and I are breezing down the Autobahn when two German Police came along side and made motions for me to go faster. Guess they thought I should drive like all the other Mensch."

I installed a complete 1960 Corvair 80 hp drivetrain w/Powerglide in my 1959 VW Microbus and it would cruise nicely at 70 mph!

Glen w/no VWs currently

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 139007
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "jctaylor1941" wrote.

Back in the day, I had a 1958 and a 1967 Volkswagen; wish I still did! Brings back a lot of memories!  ;-)
Hey Joan -since '58, I've had a '56 21window with a sun roof, '69 Westy, then a '71 VW Adventurewagon conversion, my everyday ride.  Back window sticker say "0 to 60 in 11 minutes."

Barb
1992 22' TK

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 139022

In a message dated 5/7/2013 6:40:20 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

"...a coincidence indeed... Drove it across the States to Ventura, CA... I shuttled in the Bus... After a year of ownership I traded it for a Pontiac  Catalina.
Escondido,  CA    John

Wow, that's an amazing parallel except I sold my VW Bus in Concord, CA and bought a Ford E-350 Window Van to replace it. That was followed by another '94 Ford E-350 Super Duty Window Van, which was then followed by my '04 E-450 Lazy Daze.
 I also once dated a girl from Escondido when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs USMC/USAF Ret.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Tires
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 144477
Hi Andy,

Well after a lot of research on tires from the cheapest to the most expensive I have decided to go with your recommendation Andy. I am going to buy Michelin. Now, I want to ask your opinion on the type of Michelin tire and size I should purchase. First, in your opinion what is the best tire for my LD, the Michelin LTX M/S 2 or the XPS Rib. My 2003 Ford E-450 23.5' LD/FL OEM tire size was LT225/75 R 16. Since I just bought it last year, I don't know what the name of the original tire brand was that came with the 2003 Ford E-450 Cutaway Chassis. The second owner of Red Sky had(me being the third owner) bought Concours Tires(or as I refer to them, Chinese May Pops). They are were purchased at Les Schwabs Tire Center some where near Sacramento, California. They are LT225/75 R 16 and these tires only have approximately 20,000 miles on them. However they were purchased in March of 2008. I know the tires have to be older than that because they were made in China and were probably sitting in a warehouse in China for a period of time before making their way to the U. S. by a cattle boat. So as I read on your Lazy Daze Companion articles, tires should be changed not by the mileage but buy the year they were made. Six years being the optimum time buy new tires.
 Second, I am thinking about going to a 215/85 R 16 if it will fit in my wheel well. The LT215 tire will raise my MH about 6" overall. I know the width of the tire is not as wide as the LT225 and thus gives the tires more room to dissipate the heat built up by the tires and tailpipe. The Lt215 tire supposedly gives one better gas mileage too. I know with the LT215 your actual speed is approximately 2.5 mph faster at a reading of 65 mph on the LD's speedometer. I also know with LT215 the tire rolls less revolutions per mile then the LT225 and it changes the gear ratio.
Money is not the issue here. What is the issue is my safety and those of my friends as we go exploring America' National Parks and different state parks this year. I don't plan on going off the beaten path but you never know what kind of roads one will encounter. So since your the expert in all things Lazy Daze, what is best tire for my situation. Thank you Andy for all your help.

Steve Darrow / Red Sky

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 144479
Steve, you're very kind, but I'm not the expert in all things--especially tires. I'll leave it to the real experts in this area to answer your questions, as I'm sure they will.

In the meantime, I suggest reading Joan Taylor's excellent article on tires in our Files > Maintenance & Repairs section:

"About Your Tires!.odthttp://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v2/4DbSUsYmsnqaI4VpBX0Bck3lAeZHf3ZB2C_0IhttocP-jTV0KnneKcuVc7pYZnk_Qg7BRQCx91_pAXOV-w4Vy1nqpyq_lh-t8DztRhe0YUjW757SP7zW8b-8ZWxPOC7bsJrFhW4mZ0gZ5f9pCBYnWzuBiCyY4DsDr7RqWHwMpisr/About%20Your%20Tires%21.odt"

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 144480
Steve as far as the date of the tire it is on the side wall in the form of xxxx  after the DOT and letters of where built. The first 2 numbers are the week of  the year; the second 2 numbers are the year. 1008 would be the 10th week of  2008.
Your MH should have had 215x85x16 tires because that is the standard  tire on MH with 16" tires. As far as MS (MUD & SNOW) or XPS-RIB that is for  you to decide. Most go with the MS because they offer the best traction for all  round use. Summer and winter. The Rib tire is a summer tire and very poor in  snow and mud if off highway. Off highway would be if camped in grass area for  dry camping.
 The 215 tire is only 1/10 of an inch less in width than the  225.   8.9" and 9"  The 215 will not raise you MH 6 inch.  The 215 has a dia of  30.5 and the 225 a dia of 29.4. The mounted radius on the ground for the 215 is  14.2 inch and the 225 is 13.7 inch. So the tire will only raise the MH 1/2  inch
 My 2005 24 LD came with 215x85x16 M&S OEM and that is what I  went back with.
When I replaced the OEM tires they had 50,000 miles and still  were good for another 10,000 but I was not going to take the MH to Alaska and  Canada with a tire that would have been warn out when I got home. I put 10500  miles on that trip. Alaska would not have been the place to go hunting for new  tires.

Go with the 215x85x16 MS tires

All tire demensions are from Michelin tire chart for the Rib tire.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 144481
Thank you Spambox41,

I guess not all of my information was right. Thank you so very much for correcting my errors. I will be ordering the Michelin LT215/85R16 LRE  LTX MS 2 right after I receive my next retirement check. I live in the L.A. Area and I will go to America's Tire for the purchase and installation. I will also inform the manger that I want fresh tires that were made no more than six months ago. Then I will check the DOT date to make sure he isn't playing rope a dope with me. I also purchased a TPMS not long ago and will be using the system on the new tires. Thanks again Spambox41 for all your help.

See you down the road,

Steve Darrow / Red Sky

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 144483
"My 2005 24 LD came with 215x85x16 M&S OEM" --- OEM tires for the Ford E450 are LT225/75R16E, so if the above size was on your rig when you got it, the tires were not original issue.

When replacing tires, I strongly suggest sticking with the *original size*, i.e., LT225/75R16E.  If one doesn't want the Michelin M+S2, the current OEM tire, and wants to stay with an 'all-weather' tire with a M+S or similar tread pattern, one might want to look at other brands in the appropriate size, e.g., Toyo, Kumho, B.F. Goodrich, etc.  *Be sure that the tire carries and 'E' load rating*.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 144484
Considering you live in CA you should never have though of a Rib tire. When I bought my tires from Direct Tire Denver CO. they did not have the tires in the store but had them the next day. All 6 tires had the same DATE CODE of 1312. The tires were less than 6 weeks old.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 144485
I'm wondering why LD used the LT215/85 R16 tires on your 2005, while using the much more common LT225/75 R16 on most of the other LD's.

Another interesting difference between the MS and XPS Rib: the Rib weighs 11 pounds more per tire! I imagine the ride would be harsher.

Eric Greenwell
  wrote, On 1/11/2014 11:10 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 144488
When ever I go to one of the RV shows all I see are the 215x85x16 tires. I do not recall seeing 225x75 on a MH. The 215 has 1/2" more ground clearance and this is one thing we need for getting into gas stations and camping areas.
I just checked the LD web sight and was surprised that they do not say the manufacture of the tire any more or the size. The few times that I went there they always stated Michelin

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 144497
"What is the issue is my safety and those of my friends as we go exploring America' National Parks and different state parks this year. I don't plan on going off the beaten path but you never know what kind of roads one will encounter"

Steve

If you survey the long term members here you will find dozens who have embarked on the same type of journeys, running the stock 225/75-R16 tires. Many have worked their way slowly down bad roads and survived to tell the tail. I suggest a new set of tires, good shocks, a clean bill of health from the front end alignment shop and you should be set to go. The E450 is a rugged chassis, I worry more about what is attached to it.
Having the same year and model as yours, additionally penalized pulling a Jeep for many years, I have been impressed where it will go. I'm conservative with it having stuck a few large vehicles and knowing the difficulty of extracting them. That said, it has been down a lot of forest service and desert roads, just beware of deep dips. Sand and fresh snow have been handled without too much drama, the rear duals provide a lot of traction. Most, if all the drama, on bad roads, is inside the LD. No matter how well  things are packed, the noise drive many to distraction, worried that whole rig is coming apart. Think the road into Chaco Canyon.

The dump valves are your models most vulnerable item. You can disasasseble the dump valve junction and rebuild and strap it so it sits higher. Trim the fiberglass around the outlet if necessary. The valves are the first thing that will get hit followed by the folding coach steps. Bent steps can be straighten but ripped off dump valves can be a game changer. I carry some repair parts in case the valve gets hit.

If the rear end sits too low, consider a set of run-flat air bags, using them on rough roads where an inch or two of additional lift would beneficial. The E450 is a primitive suspension with limited travel that works well for most applications. Where it does not excel is on washboard, for which there is no cure other than driving very slowly. We minimize the hassles of dirt roads by finding a suitable base-camp, leaving the Jeep for exploring the back-country. This is a lot easier on the LD and us.
 Figure out the tow attachment points for the front and rear. If you get stuck, pulling on the wrong point can cause serious, expensive damage to the vehicle.

For tires, I like the extra traction of the Michelin LTX M/S, compared to the Rib.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 144498
We used to believe that, so drove slowly (less than 10 mph) down washboarded roads in E350 chassis SOB, gritting our teeth the whole time. One day, we were were told to drive 25 mph or even faster, if we could do so safely. Wow, what a difference! Past a certain speed, the ride smoothed out, even became quieter. It was like a miracle to ride more comfortably, more quietly, and go more rapidly than ever before.
 Now, that was the motorhome by itself, on a flat but washboarded road.
Towing trailer or a toad - I don't know if going faster like that is a good idea, and I would be reluctant to try it.

Eric Greenwell
  wrote, On 1/12/2014 8:59 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 144500
This is a paragraph taken from an RV guide that is by Michelin. I seen this some years ago. That Michelin is the only tire manufacture that says that they tire have a life of 10 years and not the 6 years that other tire manufactures say.