Skip to main content
Topic: Tires (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
Tires
Yahoo Message Number: 24391
This is a question about passenger vehicle tires.  I thought I'd take advantage of all the good expertise on this site and get some opinions.  Am about to by new shoes for my 2000 Honda Accord.  We've used Michelin without problems for years, but maybe there is something better and/or excellent but more economical.  Right now the Honda is wearing Mich X Radial XSE, 205/65R15.    We need good winter traction here in Santa Fe,  and we would like the tires to be more quiet than the ones we have now.  Am thinking about replacing with same tire or with Mich X One (quieter, supposedly).  So...what's your favorite??? So...why???

Thanks, in advance

Bobbi and Eula (RVW46AB) 2000 RK

Re: Tires
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24395
Dunlop SP Sport A2

"stickiest" a/s tire I ever ran on my '93 Mitsu Diamante (ran Bridgestones, Yokohamas, and Michelins on it).  Fabulous traction! We put them on our Saturn toad recently and that car feels like it's running on rails.

One of the quiestest

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24396
This is a question about passenger vehicle tires.  I thought I'd take advantage of all the good expertise on this site and get some
opinions.  Am about to

by new shoes for my 2000 Honda Accord.  We've used Michelin without problems for years, but maybe there is something better and/or excellent but more economical.  Right now the Honda is wearing Mich X Radial XSE,
205/65R15.    We need

good winter traction here in Santa Fe,  and we would like the tires
to be

more quiet than the ones we have now.  Am thinking about replacing
with same tire

or with Mich X One (quieter, supposedly).  So...what's your
favorite???

So...why???
Kumho Ecsta 706 are cheap and are supposed to have particularly good snow traction. We have them on our Mercedes, which needs all the winter help it can get. They seem to be quiet and smooth riding dry, and handle better than the Mich MXV's previously. It will take next winter to see if the snow performance is better.

On our '90 Accord, I have Yokohama touring tires which are great in the dry, and good enough in the snow. The fwd does fine with just about any tires when traction is an issue. These also replaced MXV's.

I qualify the improved handling of these tires by noting the sizes are more aggressive than the Michelins, and in the case of the Honda, so are the wheels.

I have heard good winter reports also on the Dunlop Sport A2, I believe it is called. For a good set of tests and comparative reviews, visit:

http://www.tirerack.com

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24533
Am thinking about replacing with same tire

or with Mich X One (quieter, supposedly).  So...what's your
favorite???

So...why???

Thanks, in advance

Bobbi and Eula (RVW46AB) 2000 RK
Folks, I just replaced the factory installed Michelins on our 2000 Chrysler T&C with Mich X Ones, primarily because I have had good success with Michs on our 4 different Hondas and the Mich One was very highly rated.  On its 1st trip from Denver to KCity and back, they performed very well and were definitly quieter than the orginal Michs (don't remember the model #).  Go to www.consumersearch dot com for tire reviews and comparisons.  As for winter traction, seems to me your winter snows melt off as fast in Santa Fe as they do here in Denver; however, mountain driving is another issue.

Chris Horst
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 30796
Quote from: dkm7162002"

Looking to purchase new tires.  What are the opinions out there about what brand?  Presently leaning toward Michelins.
 You might look at the Goodyear G133 Unisteel and/or the G647 RSA.  I have had good luck with Bridgestone and Yokohama in the past, but I can't find a listing on either of their web sites for the 225/75Rx16 (E load range) tires.

JC
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 30799
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/

Try the above and search by size and then look thru the various brands/styles and the Sizes & Specifications for each.  Bridgestone R187 has an E rating.  There may be others.

Steve T

...but I can't find a listing on either of their web sites for the
225/75Rx16 (E load range) tires.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 30801
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/

Try the above and search by size and then look thru the various brands/styles and the Sizes & Specifications for each.
Bridgestone R187 has an E rating.  There may be others.

Steve T

...but I can't find a listing on either of their web sites for the 225/75Rx16 (E load range) tires.
JC
Thanks, Steve.  The tire size -- 225/75Rx16 -- is not listed on the drop-down list from the "Size" tab.  The R187 *does* appear on the list reached by the "Product" and "Category" tabs, but you'd either have to know the name of the tire in the first place or look through a lot of tire listings/charts to find this particular one.  At any rate, the R 187 appears to be an option.

JC
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 30803
...but I can't find a listing on either of their web sites for the 225/75Rx16 (E load range) tires.
JC

Thanks, Steve.  The tire size -- 225/75Rx16 -- is not listed
You're right, but assuming you're looking to replace the LD tires you would be looking for LT225/75R16 which is listed.  That's the Light Truck designation.  Sorry I didn't mention that the first time around.

Steve T

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Live Oak Newbie Initiation
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 30808
OK MacPat, JC, Mike Schafir, Terry Burnes, and all you other Bay Area newbies -- let's go get initiated at the Live Oak Caravan Club GTG!

It's my understanding we will be greeted with great fan fare.  And according to the Wagon Mistress, there's a whole bunch of fun activities to keep us out of trouble:   wine tasting, hiking, a craft show, attitude adjustments, potlucks, initiation ceremonies, and best of all:  the opportunity to meet old timers (oops!  I *meant* to say "long time members") of this group who have helped us all with the many, many choices we've had to make.  Besides, I've just completed Phase I of my Finish Firsting and want to see if Mike can tell which part hasn't been done yet!  Don't cha want to oooh and aaaah at Terry's Alcoas, and Pat and JC's just-off -the-line coaches and meet Sara's new fella?  Let's decorate our Lazy Dazes with chili lights (or not!) and show 'em our 2003s.
 How 'bout it folks?  Can you swing it?  Wed, Dec. 3 through Sun, Dec.
7.  JC and Pat you are SO new you may not have received an official
 announcement/invitation yet.  Therefore, checkout the website: http://www.escapees.com/website/ for more info or, like me, pester Rosemary Webb for more details.  She is a true blue Wonder Woman (and gentle with newbies too!)
 I was hoping to leave early AM on the 3rd. via 101 -- can meet in San Jose, Gilroy, Salinas -- whatever.

Lorna and Sambo the Snoring Scaredy Cat
2003 RB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 30810
OOPS!  THANK you Steve -- I really do have an angel watching over me! Can't blame it on too much turkey -- just on trying to do too many things at once (all two of 'em)!

OK folks, see Steve's (Hpaycmpr02489) message for the correct LD caravan club URL.

Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 30823
OK MacPat, JC, Mike Schafir, Terry Burnes, and all you other Bay Area newbies -- let's go get initiated at the Live Oak Caravan Club GTG!
Lorna,
 We may very well do this. We seem to have gotten into a pattern of going somewhere in the LD every free weekend. Next weekend is free and Live Oak Camp looks nice.
We'd be leaving Thursday afternoon or evening, staying somewhere along 101 that night and getting to Live Oak Friday. Our plans are still tenative, so we wouldn't be in a positon to caravan with anyone. Perhaps we will see you there.

Terry

2003 26.5'RB
Palo Alto, CA
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Re: Live Oak Newbie Initiation
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 30827
Quote from: lorna dunham

(snip) OK MacPat, JC, Mike Schafir, Terry Burnes, and all you other Bay Area newbies -- let's go get initiated at the Live Oak Caravan Club GTG!
 I did get the "Caravan Newsletter" in the mail, and wish that I were able to go to this. But, I have a meeting Thursday night and am expected for a family get-together Friday through Sunday.  Maybe next time!

JC
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 30836
Sarah, that Happy Camper guy from one-hill Ohio already set me straight -- you gotta start getting up earlier! Hugs back to you, Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 30857
Terry, I sure hope so ... there's soo much about your rig I want to see and explore!
 By any chance is yours a silver RB?  And by any chance were you headed South on 880/17 last Wed about 3ish?  Well, if not you, who?

Lorna and Sambo the hissing when he's not snoring scaredy cat.
2003 RB

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 30864
Terry . . . By any chance is yours a silver RB?  And by any chance were you headed South on 880/17 last Wed about 3ish?
Lorna,

Ours is indeed a silver/gray RB, but that wasn't us.

Terry

2003 26.5'RB
Palo Alto, CA
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 30899
Lorna,

It looks like I may be able to make it to the Live Oak event this weekend, but I cannot leave until Friday.  Are reservations required to attend or can we just show up?

thx,

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 30903
Mike, that's so wonderful...I can't wait to meet you!  No reservations are required according to Rosemary Webb, the gracious, patient wonder woman in charge -- just show up.  She also told me that although there may be 150 or so LDs, we will be broken up into smaller-sized (15 or so) 'Dazers with a group host -- so it won't be as intimidating as I thought!  (Boy, they think of everything don't they?)  Also, according to a previous post, Terry Burnes might attend as well but if so, can't leave until late Thursday from Palo Alto so you wouldn't be the only "late comer."

I'm so excited I'll finally get to meet so many of you!

Lorna and Sambo the squeamish scaredy cat in rainy Santa Cruz.
2003 RB

Tires
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 31315
We just returned from a 500-mi roundtrip to the Tire Man in Ridgecrest for new tires, front stems, and modification of the rear stems.

I don't know what Ford is mounting on their E-450s nowadays. We had Firestone Steeltex R4S LT225/75R16E on our 2000 LD. It is a $100 tire which I would classify as "good enough."
 Our new tires are Goodyear G159. These are $200 premium grade tires.
 Yes, I drove past 50 Goodyear dealers and I could have given any one of them my business.
 Yes, I paid with cash and I could have shopped elsewhere and charged it or written a check.

Yes, I could have saved a nickel by shopping around.

Yes, there are far superior tires to the Goodyear G159. It is a terrible tire and will undoubtedly be recalled shortly. ;-)

You know what? We have never been happier about our tires and valve stems since we drove off the LD lot 3 1/2 yrs ago.

Best regards, Bob (with no financial interest in the Tire Man)

Tires
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 31440
I'll have to walk out and take a look this weekend to see what tires Gertie (1985 Chevy 30 chassis) is wearing now--I know they're Michelins, but not the size. But assuming I were to get a new set from Camping World, what they sell is Goodyear. Period.
 If Gertie's tires are like those on the newer Ford chassis, it sounds from earlier posts as if I'd bee looking at 225/75Rx16 (E load range) tires. Camping World carries Goodyear G647 RSA tires in that size and load range. Anybody have experience with these? Any good?

--Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Tires
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 42208
Been following the recent posts about tires.

Also in the market for new tires for my 2000MB. Only 27,000 miles (Firestone Steeltex) but setting out on a 10,000+- mile trip next Spring. Like the good Scout, I'm going to be prepared with a new set of tires.

1) What tires are they putting on the 2004 models?  
2) After considerable, and frequently conflicting , research, I've
 about narrowed the choices down to either the Michelin XPS rib, the Goodyear G647 RSA or the Goodyear G133 Unisteel LT.
 Very interested in any informed opinions or personal experience with any of these, or completly new ideas.

Checked my Consumers Report on-line research. They don't have any ratings for the LT type tires but do give most automotive type Michelins an average+ to good rating.

Thank you.

Ed Ft. Pierce, FL

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 42211
1) What tires are they putting on the 2004 models?

Michelins are on Elsie, picked up in March this year.
I have LT 225/75 R16 tires. They say LTX M/S, Load range E, M+S.

Judy
23.5 FD