Skip to main content
Topic: Diesel (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Diesel
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 141894
Expensive, steals weight with out adding any payload. Can't use the inter cooler on the van bodys. Oh yes the Ford Diesel's for several years have a very short life and are very expensive to fix then break quickly again. And Ford is the only company still producing a chassis suitable for a heavier class C. May be the only cut away that even offers a diesel. If you think I am blowing diesel fumes here is a start...
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0907dp_6_0l_ford_power_stroke_engine/viewall.html
 The 6.0 was bad...... I know a couple that replaced their tow vehicle for a trip to the High School finals with a 6.0 pickup and made it less than 100 miles down the road. And it didn't make it they had to make other arrangements...  And yes a few people have has a 6.0 that held up....

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 141899
"Would someone refresh my memory why LD stopped using diesel's?"
 The short answer is that they were only selling one or two a year, and that tiny market didn't justify the major engineering changes required.
 The long answer? Well, you'll find a document in our Files > Frequently Asked Questions folder called "Should I buy a diesel LD?" that lays out the pros and cons in detail. It was written by Eudoro Lemos, a very experienced diesel truck operator. His conclusion: it doesn't make sense for a Lazy Daze. Read the file, and I think you'll agree. And Eudoro's analysis was written before diesel fuel prices shot up to their current levels--way above gasoline prices. A diesel Lazy Daze would make even less sense now.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 141911
Give me Lazy Daze quality with the Dodge Cummins base and I'd be a happy camper. Scotty did it! Granted from what I can tell the quality doesn't measure up to LD but I could be wrong.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 141912
Well, let's look at the reality of Ford's diesel engine of today instead of the engines no longer sold.  Ford developed and built the new 6.7 Scorpion diesel engine due to the problems of the IH & Navistar supplied diesel engines.  Why won't LD use the diesel engine?   It does not fit

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 141914
I owned a 2000 MB w/ the Powerstroke 7.3 diesel and loved it. Ed offered it for a short time when there was a delay