Skip to main content
Topic: Going to order a new LD! (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Going to order a new LD!
Yahoo Message Number: 24362
Well I give up looking for a used LD. How long is it taking to get a new LD? I like the 26.5, rear bed floor plan. Any issues with this floor plan? I would like some feed back on the Diesel Engine-does it get much better gas mileage? Thanks, S.R.

Re: Going to order a new LD!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24364
I also have thought about the diesel motor as I currently own a diesel coach (we are considering moving to a LD).

The new power stroke 6.0 liter diesel is either 225 or 250 HP

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24366
My understanding is that the new 6.0 diesel engine is two hundred pounds lighter than the old 7.3 diesel. The beefy new five-speed transmission it is mounted to also looks like a winner.
 One poster has raised a question about the HP and Torque that will be put out by the 6.0 Power Stroke diesel in the redesigned 2004 E450 chassis. However, the Ford spec on the attached link shows the full 325 HP and 560 ft-lbs of torque being available:
 http://www.fleet.ford.com/products/fleet_showroom/2004fleetshowroom/20 04-eseriescut-specs.asp
 The propane gen-set on the diesel is a drag. However, if the gen-set is not too tall (the foot print seems to be right), there might be an aftermarket solution in the form of a small, lightweight, diesel generator manufactured by Next Generation. See the attached link from Open Roads Forum dated July 1, 2003:

http://www.rv.net/cforum/

My fanciful thought is that after much consternation, Steve Newton might be prevailed upon to supply a diesel coach less generator but pre-wired for generator at an appropriate price reduction. The $3000 to $3500 saved could then be used towards the purchase and installation of the Next Generation unit. As perhaps a further cost and weight saving measure the second 17.5 gal propane tank could also excluded...
 With a diesel engine and generator one would then have a drive train and generator that would have a service life that would last as long as his or her LD Coach!

What do some of you technical guys think?

Mike Bear

Re: Going to order new LD (diesel motor discussion)
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24372
Thanks for the link, it is the first I have seen showing full power rating

Going to order a new LD!
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24363
There is a 26.5 RB floor model available for sale (at least it was available on Tuesday).  It has Bilstein shocks added at no extra charge.

Keith

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 24367
There is a 26.5 RB floor model available for sale (at least it was
available on Tuesday).  It has Bilstein shocks added at no extra charge.

Keith
As you said, the RB floor model was available when my husband and I were at the factory on Monday.  However, "gypsy" is interested in the 26.5 Island Bed and that one had a "sold" sign on it.
 I overheard Ed Newton saying he thinks the diesel motor is a waste of money.  Someone else was asking about it.  He said the gas mileage is not any better than the gasoline engine and that they are very noisy.

Roz the Wannabe

Going to order a new LD!
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 24373
Roz --
 Well, if you were there on Monday, you may have visited mine.  We purchased the 26.5 RK.  We like that floorplan and buying the floor model meant getting the unit a few months earlier (and saving a few bucks)
 In my research into diesel vs gas, I spoke with Ed and he told me that he wasn't a big fan of diesel, etc.  I also spoke with a service manager at the local Ford dealership.  He is a big fan of diesels but suggested a good way to look at the comparison.  Much depends on how many miles you plan to put on the motorhome.  According to him, there is a small difference in mileage (about 2mpg) so that in and of itself would take a long time to pay back the additional cost of the diesel.  According to the guy at Ford, the major savings of the diesel over the gas engine is in the life expectancy.  A diesel should go over 300,000 miles while he wouldn't expect a gas engine to go over 150,000 without significant.  In my case I will likely only put about 10,000 miles per year on the rig for the forseeable future so it would take a long time to reach either number.
 Additional factors in the decision were the greater noise of the diesel engine (right next to you) and the smell of diesel fuel which I personally don't like.
 Good luck with your decision and perhaps we'll run into each other one day.

Keith - the soontobe (mid-November)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 24380
"According to the guy at Ford, the major savings of the diesel over the gas engine is in the life expectancy. A diesel should go over 300,000 miles while he wouldn't expect a gas engine to go over 150,000 without significant."

I can say for certainty that the Ford guy is absolutely WRONG about the gas engine not going more than 150k miles without, what I'm assuming he meant, significant engine work. I spoke to an old friend and former boss a few weeks ago and his families company owns 3 Ford box vans used for delivery of food to diners, restaurants, etc. on smaller routes. These vehicles log about 50k miles/year. They have a '97 v10 with close to 300K miles that has NEVER had any more than normal maintenance done to it other than the recall work for a rear engine bearing on the early v10. They also have a 2000 with just over 150k miles that has only had the routine maintenance done to it. Both vehicles have cost less for them to operate than the diesel version they also have. The v10 and even the older 460 can easily over 300k miles IF properly cared for and maintained! They will require new brake pads and possibly other things and most likely require some suspension parts be replaced but the same goes for the diesel.
 The diesel will outlast the gas engine before an overhaul is required but to say the gas engine won't last more than 150k miles is absolutely false. Often the minimal gain in fuel economy is often eaten up in the higher cost of diesel in many markets of the US. In some markets diesel costs less, mostly due to lower fuel taxes on it in those areas. For many people the $5k more it costs could better be spent on other things. The v10 has plenty of power.

Mike R.