Skip to main content
Topic: Overdrive/underdrive ??? (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Overdrive/underdrive ???
Yahoo Message Number: 24321
Hi all,
 I found this ads in rvtraderonline.  What's overdrive/underdrive?  Is it a Lazy Daze feature?  Also what's a wheel simulator?

Thanks, Sam

1984 LAZY DAZE, 22', like brand new inside, new tires, overdrive/underdrive vendor, wheel simulators, runs & drives like new, you won't be dessapointed, $8950, call Gaynor's Imports, 714-899- 6050

Overdrive/underdrive ???
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24323
Sam,

There are a few different over/underdrive systems on the market.
The most popular is the GearVendors Under/Overdrive.  It is basically a gear splitter that attaches to the end of the transmission.  The drive axle has to be shortened to install these units.  For each gear, you also have a 1/2 gear.  Lets say I'm climbing a hill in 3rd gear, and my rpm's are dropping, if I put it in 2nd, my rpm's might be to high.  With a gear splitter, I can choose 2nd-over, which is like 2 and half.  I have a GearVendors installed on my LD and it makes climbing mountains a breeze.  It allows you to keep your rpm's in the power band of the motor.

Wheel simulators are those chrome hub cap like things that are on every LD.  It makes the plain looking steel wheels look a lot better.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Overdrive/underdrive ???
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24328
Victor,

Thanks for the explanation.  Learning something new everyday!

It's a neat idea that should have never been implemented.  What I mean is that if the transmission was designed properly

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Overdrive/underdrive ???
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24330
Sam,

Your welcome.  Well, the auto industry is a strange beast.  Most people are happy with 3 or 4 speeds, so that's what they do.  Some class A's come with a GearVendors installed at the factory.  Also, some high performance cars have a similar system installed at the factory as well.  I know Corvettes used to have a splitter in there C4 models, don't know about the C5's.  I think as a whole, the auto industry is realizing the public wants better performance.  6 sp trannies are common know on performance cars and so are 5sp auto's.  I believe the new Allison used on the GM/GMC trucks is a 5 sp.

Well, more gears are almost always better.  Think about riding a bike up a hill.  Is it easier to do with a 3 sp bike or a 21 sp bike? Depending on the hill, you may never reach the top in a 3 sp. :-)  If you don't mind spending $2700 for one, it's a nice thing to have.  Is it the best bang for the buck?  I know I would have done something else before spending that kind of money.  Banks system or Thorley headers/exhaust system comes to mind.

-Victor