Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator in Lazy Daze intermittently working (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator in Lazy Daze intermittently working
Yahoo Message Number: 24306
We just bought a 1987 LazyDaze and are having some problems with the refrigerator.  It works intermittently.  We couldn't get it to work the first 2 days,(while hooked up at home) then suddenly it began working last night (while hooked up here at our home), my husband disconnected the extension cord last night, plugged it in again this morning and once again it will not work.  As we are new to this, we are not sure if we are doing something wrong, or if there could be a problem. Even the simplest suggestion would be helpful as we really are clueless here :)

Re: Refrigerator in Lazy Daze intermittently working
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24309
I have had to replace two control panels in seven years of very
occasional use.  Each spring I have to blow out the debris around the burner or it won't stay lit.  I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem.  If I were manufacturing a budget RV for weekenders, I would just put a good igloo ice box in it.  Dometics are pretty temperamental.
Steve F.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24314
I have an '83 and this is how I think they are meant to work: Make sure it is level BEFORE you turn it on.
It first checks for 120V AC and uses that if available.
If that is not available then use 12V or propane. I think there is a a screwy logic that turns off propane for 20 minutes when it thinks you are at a gastation. This is detected by turning the ignition off (I think).
 When it runs off propane the light goes to green first as it attempts to light the fire and then it will keep trying for a few minutes. If unsuccessful the light turns red.
 It takes a loooong time to cool down on propane. It takes a long time on AC. The 12v is disconnected so I do know about that. It will defrost real fast. No ice cream allowed.

I heard thtat some refers need to be replaced by removing a window.
The window can be easily damaged and re-installed incorrectly.

Here is a trouble shooting page:
 http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/stndrdD.htm

Here is a rebuilders page:
 http://www.atcoamerica.com/index.htm

This winter you will probably ask about the furnace. It can be just as hair pulling trying to figure out it's logic. It has a "three strikes your out" on lighting the flame. If it does not light, the blower will continue to run cooling everything down. Then turn it off and then back again.

Dave

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24317
Since I don't work on these things myself my suggestion would be to bring the unit to a competent repair facility and have it checked out. Dometic requires the refrigerator be serviced annually when new for the warranty to remain in effect, though they don't really enforce that and many people fail to do it. That's a big mistake in my opinion and one of the biggest reasons people experience problems with them. You must remember that RV refrigerators (and many other appliances and parts in them) are subjected to some very harsh conditions and that takes a toll on them and the electronics that control them.

When you do have it done they check everything and clean the burner and the chimney of rust particles so it works on propane properly. If you only blow or vacuum out the rust particles that fall from the chimney onto the burner the first time you hit the road more will fall from the chimney onto it. When they service them they run a round wire chimney brush up and down in the chimney to clean it as well as clean the burner after doing that. They clean and check all terminal connections, ground connections, inspect and test door seals, inspect and tighten LP lines, and do the gas safety shutdown in 45 seconds test. They also check the thermocouple, thermister, electrode gap, DC and AC voltages, and delay between modes to make sure they are within spec. If anything is not within spec they can then repair it before it becomes a problem most times. The cost depends on the facility doing it but in my opinion it is well worth the money! I've never had problems with RV refrigerators on RV's I've owned nor did my parents and I feel that is because the annual service was always done by factory authorized and trained techs.

My guess is you have a problem with the thermocouple or thermister.
It could also be a bad control board or corrosion. With the older refrigerators you also need to make sure you are quite level or they won't operate correctly. Newer ones are more forgiving but still operate best when level, the same goes for regular home units.

Mike R.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Refrigerator in Lazy Daze intermitte
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24318
We just bought a 1990 LD and had the same problem. We found out there is a built in delay on the older models (we had a 2001 and this was not the case for that age fridge). It is to be a safety thing for when you stop at a gas station - anyway - this is what we found. We never run it on the automatic mode. Anytime we stop, we turn off the fridge for 20 seconds, then restart either on AC if we are hooked up to that or gas if we are not hooked up. It is a bit of a pain but this overrides the 25 minute delay. We found that some trips if we stopped for gas and then the grocery and then the camp - the fridge would be off for an hour and a half and would be warm and ice drippy. I hope this helps.
Melissa

Refrigerator in Lazy Daze intermitte
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 24307
When I am hooked up to electric my light flashed red.  I had made a wrong assumption that flashing red indicated a problem.  It was doing exactly what the manual said, green on propane and red flashing on electric.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 24308
When I am hooked up to electric my light flashed red.  I had made a
wrong assumption that flashing red indicated a problem.  It was doing exactly what the manual said, green on propane and red flashing on electric.

Thanks Ron, that's a big help as my hubby did think the same thing you originally did.  :)  Unfortunately, regardless of the color light, it is really misbehaving!  Now only the freezer is working---AUGH!  Any other words of wisdom? Are we hooking up something wrong, pushing a wrong button, etc...  our first "trip" is  tomorrow, all the way across our small town to a regional park--we thought we would not venture too far from home the first time out!  But...it sure would be nice to have a refrigerator!  :)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 24313
originally did.  :)  Unfortunately, regardless of the color light, it is really misbehaving!  Now only the freezer is working---AUGH!  Any other words of wisdom? Are we hooking up something wrong, pushing a wrong button, etc...  our first "trip" is  tomorrow, all the way
You need to let us know make and model of fridge. Many have been used over the years, and of course many have been replaced anyway.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Refrigerator in Lazy Daze interm
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 24325
Mike R.,

Excellent point, and well articulated.
 Yearly maintenance at authorized servicers lengthens the lives of RV operating systems, and nearly eliminates major problems on the road.
 I follow the same philosophy for my automobiles and the Ford portion of the RV, and while I am new to RVing, have never had a road problem with the RV, or any of my automobiles over a few decades.
 It costs a little to regularly maintain automobiles and the RV, but this can be budgeted, and you reduce the potential for problems on the road, and the possibility of excessive costs for repair, towing and lodging when you do break down.

Ronald Chicago 2001 Red RK