Skip to main content
Topic: Tow dollies (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Tow dollies
Yahoo Message Number: 24267
We recently purchased a 1995 LD MB 26.5.  I am now trying to find the best way to bring my 95 Honda Prelude along for the ride (manual trans, 2900 lb).  I have two questions.

1.  I cannot seem to find a base plate for my car, if I chose the tow  bar option.  Have I just not looked in the right places, or is my car  not a normal toad and has no plates for it?  Also this is my fun car  and I do not want to have to "modify" the front of the car too much.

2.  I am leaning toward going with a quality tow dolly instead based
 on price, ease of installation (with surge brakes-hook it to the LD's hitch and wiring harness and go), and flexibility of switching easily to a different toad if needed.  I have seen nothing on this site regarding the use of dollies so would appreciate the pros and cons of this application.  I can see that the big rigs would not want to add a dolly to their already long unit, but with our reasonably sized units, I wouldn't think that this would be a major problem.?

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

Bob

Re: Tow dollies
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24275
" 1.  I cannot seem to find a base plate for my car, if I chose the tow bar option.  Have I just not looked in the right places, or is my car not a normal toad and has no plates for it?  Also this is my fun car and I do not want to have to "modify" the front of the car too much."

Bob, Typically tow bar mfgs only list base plates for late model cars.
They may make them for your '95 Prelude but just don't list them. You should contact them and ask. I couldn't find them for either of our older vehicles but a call to a couple mfgs let me know they made them for both of our vehicles in both standard and hidden or quick disconnect style. The hidden/quick disconnect style will not "modify" the look of your vehicle and the wiring won't be noticed either.

" 2.  I am leaning toward going with a quality tow dolly instead based on price, ease of installation (with surge brakes-hook it to the LD's hitch and wiring harness and go), and flexibility of switching easily to a different toad if needed.  I have seen nothing on this site regarding the use of dollies so would appreciate the pros and cons of this application. "

Tow dollies are normally used only when a car is not towable 4 down for several reasons. Storage of the tow dolly both at home and at the campsite. They aren't any easier to use than a tow bar and supplemental braking system. They actually take longer both to get ready for towing and then to get the toad ready to drive once at your destination. Tow bars are easier to unhook and re-hook and this can be very important if you get into a situation where you must back-up, difficult to do and not recommended with either method of towing a toad. Some states prohibit tow dollies on certain roads, they allow towing either 4 down or 4 up only. Many vehicles can't be towed on motorhomes with a frame extension on a tow dolly due to the added weight, they add about 700lbs. For you this will bring your weight to around 3600lbs or more depending on what you have in the Prelude while towing it. Many people end up putting some cargo in their toad.
There are more tires to replace and more things requiring maintenance with a dolly. Tow dollies with brakes typically cost more than the tow bar with accessories and supplemental braking system. In some states they still require the vehicle on the dolly to have functioning stop and turn lights so wiring can still be an issue.

There are pros and cons to each but in the end most people find the tow bar to be the best method when their vehicle can be towed 4 down.
You can find a lot of info by doing a search on it. There are several threads in the Open Road forums run by Affinity Group.

Mike R.

Tow dollies
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24280
2.  I am leaning toward going with a quality tow dolly instead based on price, ease of installation (with surge brakes-hook it to the LD's hitch and wiring harness and go), and flexibility of switching easily to a different toad if needed.  I have seen nothing on this site regarding the use of dollies so would appreciate the pros and cons of this application.  I can see that the big rigs would not want to add a dolly to their already long unit, but with our reasonably sized units, I wouldn't think that this would be a major problem.?
I have a tow dolly that I use when going on a multi-day river trip.  (My wife and I are kayakers, and we can run our own shuttle with a toad.)  My "RV" is an Infiniti G20 with racks on top, so I cannot tow four-wheels-down.
It is easy to tow with the dolly, but it is a hassle when you need to back into a camping place.  You don't back with the dolly!  But I guess you don't back with a four-wheel-down tow either.  If you need to back into a space, you must first back the toad off, and then remove the dolly.  Really a bit of a hassle. I have considered getting a different toad and investing in he propper equipment for towing four-down, but I haven't had sufficient need, yet.  I suspect that brakes on a dolly are not as effective (I do have brakes on my dolly.) as those on a four-down system, but the dolly system is less expensive and more flexible.

Good luck, Allen