Skip to main content
Topic: Sealand toilet leak (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Sealand toilet leak
Yahoo Message Number: 24264
Hi,
 I just got back from a fantastic weekend in Napa Valley.  We saw the Preservation Hall Jazz Band at the Mondavi winery.  They were great.
Thanks to those who made suggestions for camping in Napa.  We ended up at the Skyline Wilderness park which was pretty nice.
 Anyway, while on the trip, I noticed that my new Sealand toilet has a slight leak at the bottom of the bowl.  I checked the supply lines and it does not appear that they are leaking.  It seems to leak when flushing the toilet, so I suspect a leak in either the seal to the black tank or the water supply line inside the toilet mechanism.
Gus Weber, I see that you posted early last year on how to replace the seal.  Has anyone else seen this or any other ideas?  I think I'll probably leave this to my LD warranty to fix this time and will give them a call tomorrow.
 Also, I notice that the outside cap to my electrical shore connection will not latch and stay shut.  Is a replacement the only solution?

thx,

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Sealand toilet leak
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24271
Hello schafir,

Monday, July 07, 2003, 10:38:40 PM, you wrote:

s> Hi,
 s> Anyway, while on the trip, I noticed that my new Sealand toilet has a s> slight leak at the bottom of the bowl. I checked the supply lines s> and it does not appear that they are leaking. It seems to leak when s> flushing the toilet, so I suspect a leak in either the seal to the s> black tank or the water supply line inside the toilet mechanism. s> Gus Weber, I see that you posted early last year on how to replace s> the seal. Has anyone else seen this or any other ideas? I think s> I'll probably leave this to my LD warranty to fix this time and will s> give them a call tomorrow.

s> Mike S. s> 2003 26.5 MB

Mike-
 I've had the same problem.  Steve (LD One), said to tighten the 9/16" bolts around the base of the commode. Wish i could find the e-mail, but it's "Lost in Space"!  If you don't want to wait until you go back to the factory, e-mail Steve.

Can't help with the other problem.
-- Best regards, Dick

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Sealand toilet leak
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24279
I've had the same problem.  Steve (LD One), said to tighten the
9/16"

bolts around the base of the commode. Wish i could find the e-mail, but it's "Lost in Space"!  If you don't want to wait until you go back to the factory, e-mail Steve.
Dick,

Thanks for the advice.  I'll take a look and also get some advice from Steve.

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB

Re: Sealand toilet leak update and other stuff - long
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24336
Just to follow up with the group, I spoke with Steve Newton yesterday regarding my toilet leak.  He was very helpful and guided me through a fairly easy procedure of tightening up the seal around the toilet.
Step one is to remove the plastic cap around the bottom of the toilet by pulling out and unsnapping it from the base of the toilet under the foot pedal (I also removed the pedal to see what I was doing.  It is held on with two phillips screws).  Once the cap is removed, you can see a ring clamp around the toilet seal at the base of the bowl itself.  I just tightened it with a 3/8" wrench.  I also noticed that the bolts holding the toilet to the floor were not very tight, so I tightened them also.  I put it all back together and no leaks so far.
He told me that for large-ass people like myself (no he didn't use those words :)), Sealand will provide some stilts that go between the floor and the top of the seal to keep the toilet from rocking and getting loose.  I may contact them in the future if I have more leaks.

Regarding the cap for my outside shore power connection, Steve is going to personally make and send me a metal piece that can be screwed onto the plug which will allow it to latch.  I believe that this type of service is an excellent demonstration of the length that LD will go to support their customers!  He told me that when they install the plug, they throw away the normal gasket that comes with it because it will it leaks.  Instead, they seal the hell out of it and, as a consequence, there is no way to remove it without breaking it.

I also discussed the persistent drip in my water heater and he indicated that there is a tube inside the heater that sometimes needs to be bent upward to allow more air in the tank.  This is not a customer fixable solution and he offered to do it for me next time I get down to L.A.  He suggested that I not bother taking it to another Atwood service provider as they most likely will not know how to fix it.

Boy, am I happy I have LD as my manufacturer.  Very helpful!

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB