Skip to main content
Topic: Circuit checker (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Circuit checker
Yahoo Message Number: 24201
I was parked next to a friend with her 1-2 year old Lazy Daze several weeks ago. She's not on the list, so I'm posting this question for her.
 I had checked the polarity at the electrical posts and it showed 'correct'.
Inside her rig, it showed 'hot/neutral reverse' in every 110 outlet. She has not had any problems with anything she has plugged into them.

Is there a danger? If there is, what does she need to do? Why would this happen? Do you guys check the polarity when you get your new rigs?

TIA, Sarah

Re: Circuit checker
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24205
I had checked the polarity at the electrical posts and it showed 'correct'.
Inside her rig, it showed 'hot/neutral reverse' in every 110 outlet. She has not had any problems with anything she has plugged into them.
Sarah,
 I would first double check this. Recheck the polarity at the electrical pedestal. If it's OK, plug in the "umbilical" cord and check the polarity again in the motorhome. If it is bad I would try plugging your motorhome into the same electrical post using your cord and verify you get a different result, i.e. correct polarity. If yours is OK, then your friend would indeed seem to have a problem. You might try plugging your friend's LD into a different pedastal that checks OK, just to be sure the problem persists.
 Be sure that there isn't something about the umbilical cord and plugs causing this.
For instance, is there a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter involved that could be improperly wired?
 You might also disconnect from the post and start the generator and then check the 110 outlets in the motorhome. If they are OK in that mode, then it sounds like it the problem would be somewhere between the umbilical cord and the point in the chassis where the power branches into various circuits.
 The 110 volt wiring consists of three wires: hot, neutral and ground. Someone may have just reversed hot and neutral at the termination of the umbilical cord or somewhere else along the way. The umbilical itself could be miswired on the male end. If the problem remains when the umbilical is disconnected and the generator operated, then this is probably more complex. Has your friend had any electrical work done since delivery? A new umbellical cord, some work on the converter, etc. That might provide some clues.
 A lot of electrical/electronic equipment is not bothered by this, but other equipment is. It is hard to know which, so it needs to be fixed. Unless your fried has electrical experience, though, this is probably best left to a professional, after a call to LD.

Terry

Palo Alto, CA
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Re: Circuit checker
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24207
"A lot of electrical/electronic equipment is not bothered by this [hot/neutral reversal], but other equipment is."

Aside from which, this can kill you.
 For example, suppose you touch an elderly toaster oven with one hand and the sink with another...120 VAC goes right through your heart, and you're dead.
 If indeed there's a wiring reversal problem (and Terry's diagnotics are the way to find out), this should be fixed soonest!
 That's why I carry an outlet checker mounted just inside the entrance door...so I can grab it on the way out and check the pedestal wiring before hooking up (on those rare occasions when I do hook up).

Andy Baird :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Circuit checker
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24221
Andy wrote: (snip) . . . That's why I carry an outlet checker mounted just inside the entrance door...so I can grab it on the way out and check the pedestal wiring before hooking up (on those
rare occasions when I do hook up). . . .
 Ditto for me too, Andy. It¹s just a part of hooking up (like you, it¹s the rare occasion). I always check the post. In this situation, the pedestal read correct, so it must be something in her coach or as Terry suggested, something she has had done since she bought the LD. I¹m not anywhere near this lady, so will be forwarding all these answers on to her.

Sarah

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Circuit checker
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24222
Terry wrote: (snip) . . . I would first double check this. Recheck the polarity at the electrical pedestal. If it's OK, plug in the "umbilical" cord and check the polarity again in the motorhome. . .
 Terry, at the time, this is what I did. It was OK at the pedestal but not OK in the coach. She¹s not anywhere near where I am, so I¹m going to send this response on to her. It seems like it¹s a great diagnostic tool.
 . . . If it is bad I would try plugging your motorhome into the same electrical post using your cord and verify you get a different result, . . .
 I wish I had thought of that at the time, but didn¹t. I¹m sure she¹ll take this seriously ­ I know I sure would.

Thanks so much for your very through post. I even understood it!
Sarah

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]