Skip to main content
Topic: Air Conditioner noise in cab (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Air Conditioner noise in cab
Yahoo Message Number: 24178
When we are driving along and turn on the A/C to keep us cooler, we hear a chirping noise approximately every 15 seconds. We shut the A/C off and the noise goes away. What is the problem? The A/C works but the chirping noise is a nuisance.

Oscar (2003,26.5 RB)

Re: Air Conditioner noise in cab
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24180
Perhaps we have the same issue.  My noise is more like a ticking noise and seems to be coming from the left front A/C vent...and it is driving me crazy.

Hope someone has a solution.

2003, 26.5, RB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24182
When we are driving along and turn on the A/C to keep us cooler, we hear a chirping noise approximately every 15 seconds. We shut the
A/C

off and the noise goes away. What is the problem? The A/C works but the chirping noise is a nuisance.

Oscar (2003,26.5 RB)
Two possibilities that would require attention - slipping (loose) A/C compressor drive belt or failing bearing in blower fan motor. Lots of other causes that are probably not so serious.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24192
When we are driving along and turn on the A/C to keep us cooler, we hear a chirping noise approximately every 15 seconds. We shut the A/C off and the noise goes away. What is the problem? The A/C works but the chirping noise is a nuisance.

Oscar (2003,26.5 RB)

Two possibilities that would require attention - slipping (loose)
A/C

compressor drive belt or failing bearing in blower fan motor. Lots of other causes that are probably not so serious.

Steve
I have the same noise - sort of like a weak chirp from smoke alarm when the battery is dead - or my 2002 30'.  Did not associated it with the a/c.  Will monitor on return trip to see if it only happens with dash a/c on.  If anyone else has this noise, please share info.

Chris Horst
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Air Conditioner noise in cab
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24291
I'm with Steve on this.  I know when I have my a/c on, I can hear the compressor clutch engage and disengage.  I suppose the newer ones can make a slightly different noise that sounds like a chirp.

I would pop the hood and listen while it is running to see if you can pin point the location of the noise.  An old mechanics trick is to put a piece of pipe (long enough to put down the engine compartment), to your ear and listen for the noise.  You will know when you find the source.  Of course, be careful of moving parts.  It's a cheap way of making a mechanics stethoscope, which are available at your local car parts store and is very useful in locating problems.

-Victor

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Air Conditioner noise in cab
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 24355
   I'm with Steve on this.  I know when I have my a/c on, I can hear the compressor clutch engage and disengage.  I suppose the newer
ones can

make a slightly different noise that sounds like a chirp.

I would pop the hood and listen while it is running to see if you can pin point the location of the noise.  An old mechanics trick is
to put a

piece of pipe (long enough to put down the engine compartment), to
your ear

and listen for the noise.  You will know when you find the source.
Of course, be careful of moving parts.  It's a cheap way of making a mechanics stethoscope, which are available at your local car parts store and
is very

useful in locating problems.

-Victor
Victor, I took the LD in to the Ford Dealer, Mission Valley of San Jose, and they checked the a/c system and have no idea what the problem is that causes the "chirping" noise. The compressor clutch assembly is ok.
We noticed the noise goes away when we are at a stop light / sign. I suggested the drive belt or bearings defective, no problems found. reference message 24192. So, would one or more of you LD mechnical wizzards please solve the problem? ? ? ? ?

Thank you, Oscar (26.5RB 2003)