Skip to main content
Topic: Drive I-1 and 101 (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Drive I-1 and 101
Yahoo Message Number: 2099
Greg, yes I'm sure folks have driven up and down the Calif. Coast Hwy. I bought my 1987 22' LD in San Diego last Spring, and drove it all the way up the California and Orgeon coast Hwy by myself. Boondocked all the way, too. Beautiful. White knuckles? Sure, a few times, especially around Gorda, Big Sur, etc. But you just go re-e-e-a-a-a-l-l-l slow. At least going North, you're not hanging out on the cliff lane. Can be done, even by a newbee, which I was/am. It gives you good reason to pull out in the view places to just walk around, breath and enjoy the trip.
Sarah in Seattle

Drive I-1 and 101
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2102
Sarah, did you see many 38ft pushers driving along PCH(1)? Also, where are the best places to boondock? We're taking a trip out there next month and may drive that route from LA to SFO.

Drive I-1 and 101
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2103
Not Sarah, but....
With a 38 foot pusher the only area I would really be concerned about would be the stretch from Morro Bay to Carmel/Monterey. I would take 101 for that stretch. Also gives you a reason to be in San Luis Obispo, a favorite of a bunch of folks as you can see from the postings. Try and hit there on Thursday night which is Farmer's Market and the main street is blocked off. When you reach Monterey, there is a large downtown parking lot near the pier, and you can walk to Abolonetti's for the best squid anywhere!

FWIW-

Gary

Sacramento

Drive I-1 and 101
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2105
tbfisher, no didn't see any 38' anythings there, but actually, the traffic was light. I saw a Greyhound bus that had come down from the North as far as just north of Big Sur. Don't know if he went on down.

HOWEVER, I read an earlier post on this listserv or another one that I'm on that talked about taking a huge RV up and down PCH several times, and preferred going South because he didn't have to worry about knocking off his mirrors on the cliff wall, like might happen when you're driving north. He also said that big busses do it all the time.

At this point in my life, I guess I'd just call the CHIPS, and ask their opinion. If they said it's do-able, I'd go for it. I bet it's OK.

I wish I had kept notes about where I stayed. I can't remember where they were except for the one in Morro Bay. It's in a big parking lot just across the street from the 'big rock'. It says no overnight parking there, but I did it anyway, and no one chased me off. Other nights I just started looking in mid afternoon, 'cause I wanted some daylight everywhere I stopped. Sometimes it was a Safeway grocery store lot. Another time it was right by the Ocean. What a trip. Have fun, Sarah

Drive I-1 and 101
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2106
I have driven parts of this in a car and also on a bicycle but don't recall the cliff wall being that close to the edge of the road. I have driven the rig around the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia and some some folks warned about the same thing. Actually the road is excellent and there was plenty of room for even the widest rig. The view was just as spectacular if not more and I highly recommend it especially Cape Smoky. Just be very sure that your brakes and/or retarders are in good shape AND you know how to use them.