Skip to main content
Topic: tire skirts (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
tire skirts
Yahoo Message Number: 24156
does anyone have any problems with the tire skirts coming loose while driving? On my 93 LD every once in a while I will look in the rear view mirror and see them flapping around, luckily I haven't had any damage to them yet,I always tighten the wing nuts as much as I can, but they always seem to come loose, does anyone have any ideas on how to make them a little more secure?

Re: tire skirts
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24168
does anyone have any problems with the tire skirts coming loose
while driving?

Mine have come loose twice while driving in the past 4 years; each time due to not tightening the wing nuts properly.  Now, that's on my check list prior to leaving on a trip.

Other than that, no other issues with them loosening and no repeats in several years ...

... Wayne

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: tire skirts
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24169
If you find this is a problem, I would try the Loctite brand screw locking material....I think the red grade(removable fasteners). Wallmart or C$W or any auto store will have it.   It takes just a little on a couple of used threads to do the job and if you need to open the skirts the wing nuts will be able to break it loose.  FWIW: Jack

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24176
does anyone have any problems with the tire skirts coming loose while driving? On my 93 LD every once in a while I will look in the rear view mirror and see them flapping around, luckily I haven't had any damage to them yet,I always tighten the wing nuts as much as I can, but they always seem to come loose, does anyone have any ideas on how to make them a little more secure?
My solution to this problem was quick, easy, and has proven to be quite satisfactory for four years.  I bought 8 rubber washers of the same size as originals, glued them to the original washers with contact cement, and when dry simply put it back together- with rubber contacting the skirt on both top and bottom, then the wing nut.  The added friction solved this problem, and the skirts are still easy to lift for tire access.

Bill Burcham Seattle '98 30'

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 25028
I had this problem for a couple of years.  Loctite was out of the question because I lift the covers each time I wash the coach to scrub the tires.  I finally added lock washers and that seemed to take care of it.

While visiting the factory, I mentioned to Steve that they ought to come with lock washers.  He indicated they now use a new method, screw caps that attach to horizontal bolts.  I had this type installed at the factory and have had no problems with them, and they are a heck of a lor easier to open the flaps.

Sorry for the delay in posting - I am getting caught up on reading these posts after a long vacation.

Gus Weber