Skip to main content
Topic: Speakers on 13" RCA TV (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Speakers on 13" RCA TV
Yahoo Message Number: 24152
Does anyone know if the 13" RCA TV that comes with late model LD's (without the entertainment center) has one or two speakers inside? My TV seems to only have sound coming out of the left side.  There is no balancing feature in the TV menu options.

I was trying to get better sound out of my hookup to my DVD player, so I went and bought an adapter that lets both left and right audio outputs on the DVD player merge into one input on the RCA TV.  I was surprised that the sound did not improve and that in all cases, even with the normal TV signal, I am only getting sound out of the left side.

If anyone could check on theirs to verify the same function, I'd appreciate it.

thx,

Mike S.
2003 26.5 MB Heading up to Napa Valley for the weekend
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Re: Speakers on 13" RCA TV
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24153
Mike S.
The RCA 13" TV/VCR is a monural TV so it has but 1 speaker and that's also why it has only 1 audio input. I don't know of any brand of AC/DC TV that is stereo. Both audio channels default through the left when you have only a single audio input even if the input device has both a left and right output so that's why you don't hear any difference and the only audio input on the TV/VCR is white color coded.

If you want stereo sound you'll have to hook the DVD to your dash stereo or get some amplified speakers for it. You can get some nice
5.1 and 6.1 amplified PC speaker systems these days that don't take
 up much space or weigh that much.

Mike R.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24154
Mike S.

I should have said I don't know of any CRT based AC/DC TV that is stereo. All LCD TVs actually operate on 12vDC even if pluged into a 120vAC outlet. They all use a AC-DC converter or power supply to power them and that's another reason they make so much sense to be used in motorhomes and RVs. The drawback with them is even the newer wide viewing angle screens still don't look really good both in sharpness and color unless you view them directly straight on at a 90° angle. A CRT is still the best for sharpness and viewing angle.

Mike R.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24161
"I was trying to get better sound out of my hookup to my DVD player, so I went and bought an adapter that lets both left and right audio outputs on the DVD player merge into one input on the RCA TV.  I was surprised that the sound did not improve."
 My two cents worth, Mike: even if the TV had two speakers, the sound would be crappy. We're talking about 1.5"-2" speakers in all likelihood, crammed into a plastic case with zero attempt at acoustic baffling.
 If you want good sound, get yourself a set of amplified speakers such as the Cambridge Soundworks "PCworks" speakers. They're common; I picked up a set in Wal-Mart for $35 and I see that Best Buy is currently listing them for $19.50 (their item #1100001233).
 These speakers consist of two tiny cubes (2.5" on a side) that are easilt mounted using Superlock, and a woofer/amp box that is half the size of a shoebox and can be located almost anywhere (doesn't have to be centered). Runs on 120V or 12V.
 All of this was carefully engineered by the legendary Henry Kloss to get the best possible sound out of physically small speakers, and his work paid off. The sound is stunning--your guests will be looking around for the Klipsch towers! ;-)

Andy Baird :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24162
120vAC outlet. They all use a AC-DC converter or power supply to power them > Mike R.
How would you hook up the LCD TV to the DC power source? They don't have the "cigarette lighter" plug - I don't think.
Brent

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 24166
"If you want good sound, get yourself a set of amplified speakers such as the Cambridge Soundworks "PCworks" speakers."

Mike S.

Andy's suggestion is a good choice for low cost high quality amplified PC speakers if you only want stereo sound but you can get some really nice 5.1 speaker systems for between $50-100 and get true surround sound that the DVD's offer. The Altec Lansing ALC 251 you can pick up "OEM" white box versions that are actually meant for system integrators for $55 and up, Logitech Z-640 speakers from $44 up (some of the low prices are factory refurbished), Cyber Acoustics CA-5001 or CA-5150 from about $60 up and several other brands as well. Many of these have great sound and take up very little space especially if mounted under the overhead cabinets. Some come with RCA type adapters to hook-up directly to a DVD, VCR, TV, game console, etc. Prices depend on where you purchase them but you can check services like:  http://www.pricegrabber.com http://www.froogle.com

And other services or buy them locally at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal*Mart, etc. You could spend a lot more and get some even better speakers but these would all do very well in the small space of the LD or most RVs.

Mike R.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 24167
"How would you hook up the LCD TV to the DC power source? They don't> have the "cigarette lighter" plug - I don't think."

Brent, I don't know of any of the mfgs making "car adapters" for their LCD TVs but there are a few ways to hook them up to 12vDC power in your RV or car. It really depends on brand of TV and the type of power connector they have from the AC adapter to the TV. Many of the mfgs tech support people can and will help you with their models though some won't. Some suggest a DC-DC adapter such as the Targus Universal car adapters to insure proper voltage and amperage while others say to wire directly to the 12vDC or use the "cigarette lighter" power source. Most manuals show which contact on the adapter connector is the positive and negative connection.

Mike R.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 24171
"you can get some really nice 5.1 speaker systems for between $50-100 and get true surround sound that the DVD's offer."
 Absolutely! In addition to the brands Mike mentioned, Cambridge SoundWorks offers five-speaker versions of the three-speaker PCWorks system I described.
 Given that these are so inexpensive, I think it makes sense to stay with well- engineered brands like Cambridge Soundworks or Altec Lansing rather than buy "white box"  speakers.

Andy Baird

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 24172
"How would you hook up the LCD TV to the DC power source? They don't have the 'cigarette lighter' plug..."
 My normal procedure is to find a nearby light fixture, remove its mounting screws (usually just two) and drop it. The connections are obvious--all you have to do is take off the wire nuts on the two wires, add whatever wires you want and then screw the wire nuts back on. Remount the fixture and you're done. If necessary, I use small plastic wiremold to run wires from the fixture to wherever I need the juice.
 If you have an inverter in a cupboard, the job should be a cinch: tap into the inverter's 12V power feed as described. Even if it's hardwired, you can just cut the leads (one at a time, please!), add your own connections, and put 'em back together with wire nuts.
All this assumes you have basic wiring skills, of course.

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 24174
--- Many of the mfgs

tech support people can and will help you with their models though some won't. Some suggest a DC-DC adapter such as the Targus Universal car adapters
Mike I can't find any Targus adapters set up for TVs am I just not looking in the right spot? Brent

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 24177
"How would you hook up the LCD TV to the DC power source? They don't have the 'cigarette lighter' plug..."
 My normal procedure is to find a nearby light fixture, remove its mounting screws (usually just two) and drop it. The connections are obvious--all you have to do is take off the wire nuts on the two wires, add whatever wires you want and then screw the wire nuts back on. Remount the fixture and you're done. If necessary, I use small plastic wiremold to run wires from the fixture to wherever I need the juice.
I just thought I would drop a note of caution here. When you are working with 12V you need to be very careful with voltage drops across the supply line.
If Lazy Daze gives you a nice thick wire you  probably will be all right, but if not you  may run into some trouble. When you get done wiring this I would recommend you place a voltmeter across the supply as close to your load (TV) as you can. With everything turned off measure the voltage. (unloaded it should be battery voltage) Turn on the TV and measure the Voltage again. Turn on the rest of the loads in the circuit (the light) and measure the voltage again. If all your voltage readings are essentially the same or there is only a small drop in voltage between loaded and unloaded (say a 1/10 volt) then you are probably good.

I have been looking at the LCD TV's and they seem to want on the order of 2-4 amps. According to LD's manual the florescent light only needs 1.9 amps.
If the wire is only  designed for 2 amps you may run into trouble. It may be designed for  8 amps though. The manual claims the 12V wall receptacle for the TV is rated at 8 amps.

Randy Judd

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 24179
---

I just thought I would drop a note of caution here. When you are working with 12V you need to be very careful with voltage drops across the supply line.
If Lazy Daze gives you a nice thick wire you  probably will be all right, but if not you  may run into some trouble.
Randy Judd
Randy Thanks that sounds like good advice. I will definately pay attention, I don't want to create a problem while trying to solve one.
Brent

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 24238
"I can't find any Targus adapters set up for TVs am I just not looking in the right spot?"

Brent, I know Targus doesn't show any "power tips" for their Universal Auto/Air adapters made for LCD TVs but they may have ones that work with many of the brands of LCD TVs or TV/Monitors on the market. If you know the size and type of the connector from the TV power supply to the LCD panel and the configuration and any other specs you can contact them and see if they have one. Many of the power connectors used are simple "barrel" connectors with 2 contacts for positive and negative. You need to know the correct size and which contact is positive & negative and any other specs you can give to the Targus support or customer service and they can tell you if they have a match that will work. Most likely they do have one but it just isn't listed as such. Targus has "power tips" that work with many more items than they show. You can get that info from most LCD TV/monitor manufacturers either on their website or by contacting them for it without actually having the TV/monitor.

Mike R.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 24242
"I have been looking at the LCD TV's and they seem to want on the order of 2-4 amps. According to LD's manual the florescent light only needs 1.9 amps. If the wire is only  designed for 2 amps you may run into trouble. It may be designed for  8 amps though. The manual claims the 12V wall receptacle for the TV is rated at 8 amps."

Randy,
 I haven't physically looked at all the wiring in my LD but I do know the wiring to the fluorescent lights that the leads from the light are connected to and that going to the 12vDC TV receptacle are the same type and gauge wire. The only difference is the color of the wires. All the wiring I've tapped into so far has been the same type wire also. The 12vDC wires from the converter 12v/120v power panel to the various circuits are all the same type and gauge also, with the exception of the LPG detector wire, only with different color-coding for hook-up purpose. The only heavier gauge wire to the 12vDC side is the battery positive and negative connections. The TV circuit and a few other items are on 10A circuits and all the light circuits and refrigerator are 20A circuits.

With that in mind I still think the warning and info you gave regarding checking the voltage drop with all items on the circuit turned on is a good idea to insure you have the proper voltage when tapping into any circuit. They should also check to make sure they haven't overloaded the circuit if all items are turned on at the same time. Often you can overload a circuit by tapping into it and that's a fire hazard. It also happens to be a major reason why there are so many 12vDC caused fires in RVs! You should check the amperage draw of all items on a circuit to determine if the circuit can handle it first. If not you should run a new circuit from one of the vacant circuits on the power panel, if you have any.

Mike R.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 24243
"I think it makes sense to stay with well-engineered brands like Cambridge Soundworks or Altec Lansing rather than buy "white box" speakers."

Andy,

If your reference to "white box" is means generic clone brand speakers I completely agree with you! However my reference to "white box" speakers or any other "white box" computer products is to products made by well known name brand companies like Altec Lansing, Creative Labs (Cambridge SoundWorks), and others that package and sell products intended for OEM system integrators and VARs (value added resellers). It's the industry term for such products because they are packaged in plain white, brown, or "vanilla" packaging rather than the colorful retail boxes you get at retail stores. Most of the name brand companies have these products for the OEM market at reduced costs to system integrators and VARs intended to be bundled with computers. Many of the system integrators and VARs will sell the speakers and other products separately or "stand alone" at a reduced price because they purchase them at a reduced price. Some of the very big names in speakers have OEM "white box" products identical in every way to their retail counterparts. That includes Altec Lansing, Creative Labs (Cambridge SoundWorks), Logitech, and others including Polk Audio.
 The MegaWorks 550 THX system from Creative/Cambridge is a nice set of speakers but they are quite a bit more expensive than those I mentioned.

Mike R.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 24245
"The RCA 13" TV/VCR is a monural TV"

Sorry for the spelling here, that should have been monaural. I must not have hit the "a" key hard enough and didn't proof read my post.

did see that there is a special rebate price on some Logitech Z-640 speakers going on through today (7/7/2003) at CompUSA. They have a $15 instant rebate and a $15 mail-in rebate making them $49.99 after rebates. Not a bad deal for what are very good and highly rated speakers.

On another note, these and most other systems like them have the AC/DC adapter built into the subwoofer with only an AC power cord coming from it. That's great for home use since it eliminates the separate adapter but it would require an inverter to run them when boondocking or without an electric hook-up. For use in RVs especially for those that boondock often it would almost be better to get the Cyber Acoustics CA-5001 or CA-5150 system since they have a separate power adapter with a 15v output. You can easily use a universal auto/air adapter in its place and that results in less loss of power to a conversion from 12vDC to 120vAC and then back to the DC voltage required for the speaker amplifier. For those that boondock this is more efficient. Even though the power loss in the multiple conversions is not all that great to run these speakers conserving power is always a good idea and some inverters may cause the speakers to hum where using a DC adapter typically won't do that. The last thing you want is for the speakers to hum!

Mike R.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 24261
"what gauge is this wire to the flourescents ?  Curious to whether it will support a halogen lamp 25 watt bulb."

Bill,

I don't remember off hand the gauge of the wire but it will easily handle a 25w halogen bulb. If you do the math the 25w bulb only uses
2.1 amps at 12vDC and the wire has to be able to handle 20 amps since
 it's the same gauge wire as that hooked into the power panel to a 20A circuit, at least in my LD. Many of the lights are daisy chained on the same circuit so take a look at your power panel and check to see which are on which circuit in your LD. Just keep the total draw with all items turned on that are on the circuit to at below the fuse rating on the circuit and you'll be fine.

Mike R.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 24283
"these [Logitech Z-640 speakers] and most other systems like them have the AC/DC adapter built into the subwoofer with only an AC power cord coming from it."
 The Cambridge Soundworks/Creative Labs "PCWorks" speakers I mentioned have a separate (external) power supply, so you can feed 12 VDC directly into the speakers from a 12V cord (not supplied, but easy to make).

Andy Baird

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 24284
"what gauge is this wire to the flourescents? Curious to whether it will support a halogen lamp 25 watt bulb."
 Dunno what gauge it is, Bill, but I added a 20W halogen lamp two years ago, pigglybacked off the rear lounge fluorescent fixture, and have had zero problems-- and the wires don't get hot! ;-) See http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/ improv_lounge.htm#halogen> for photos and details. I use it a lot--the light is great for reading.

Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 24285
"pigglybacked"? What the heck was I thinking? ;-)

Andy Baird

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 24301
"The Cambridge Soundworks/Creative Labs "PCWorks" speakers I mentioned have a separate (external) power supply, so you can feed 12 VDC directly into the speakers from a 12V cord (not supplied, but easy to make)."

Andy,
 The fact that the PCWorks speakers and a few other quality 3pc stereo speaker systems w/subwoofer have 12v external power supplies make them a good choice. The sound quality will far exceed the 13" TV and even the LD installed stereo speakers and the price isn't bad either.
If anyone wanted to move to a 5.1 speaker system they all require more power than 12v and other than the Cyber Acoustics models most brands have internal 120vAC power supplies. You could modify them to work off the 12v system without an inverter but it would void the warranty on them to do that. I don't know that anyone except those familiar with electronics work would want to bother.

I personally wouldn't want to go to anything much higher in price than $100 on a speaker system, unless I was fulltiming. In that case the 13" TV would also have to go and at a minimum a 17" LCD would have to take it's place.

Right now we use our notebooks that both have 15" screens to watch DVD movies. My wife and I could watch something different than our daughter though to date that hasn't happened yet. Both the picture and the sound are much better even without external speakers and with them it's even better yet. If we ever want ot watch something different than our daughter we can have her use headphones.

Mike R.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 24316
"I personally wouldn't want to go to anything much higher in price than $100 on a speaker system, unless I was fulltiming."
 I agree--the best of today's low-priced systems are so good that there's really no need!
 "In that case the 13" TV would also have to go and at a minimum a 17" LCD would have to take it's place. Right now we use our notebooks that both have 15" screens to watch DVD movies"
 Yes, that works very well. And a 15" screen sitting on the dinette table a couple of feet in front of you actually looks larger than a larger screen up on the wall, six or eight feet away. I actually prefer it this way.
 I recently got a 17" Apple PowerBook as barter payment for a consulting job, and when I set that thing on the table in front of me, I'd swear I was home watching my 53" Sony rear-projection set--the picture is that big! The PowerBook's wide screen is a perfect fit for DVD movies--no black bars!--and the picture is clearer than anything I've ever seen on a TV set, because it has double the resolution. I plug it into Gertie's lounge sound system (two sets of PCWorks speakers--I have a third set in the cab) and it's full-blown home theater. :-)
 Mind, I don't go camping just to watch movies...but in a rainy night when I don't feel like doing much of anything, it can be quite enjoyable, so I always bring along a few DVDs.
 Getting back to what you were saying, there are USB-connected TV tuners on the market for a hundred bucks or so, so if you wanted to use your laptop not only for movies but for TV as well, you could dispense with the TV set altogether an dus ethe laptop for everything. I haven't tried these because I don't watch TV, but they're small and affordable, and would save you the bulk and weight of a conventional TV.

Andy Baird

Re: was Speakers on 13" RCA TV
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 24320
"there are USB-connected TV tuners on the market for a hundred bucks or so, so if you wanted to use your laptop not only for movies but for TV as well, you could dispense with the TV set altogether and use the laptop for everything. I haven't tried these because I don't watch TV, but they're small and affordable, and would save you the bulk and weight of a conventional TV."

Andy,
 Being in the computer business I'm well aware of these and have seen a couple of them. I'm wasn't really impressed with the picture quality with them but that is dependent on the LCD you hook them to.
Some LCDs screens just don't have wide enough viewing angles and responce times for good action video. I don't think I'll get rid of the TV/VCR just yet anyway. Remember we have a 6yr old and a lot more Disney and other movies for her on tape than DVD right now so I'll stick with the 13" set for now anyway. She watches more than we do and often while we travel she's watching a movie. We watch very little TV when camping often just a movie with our daughter before bed, but not always, and if the weather isn't very nice like you mentioned.
 I have seen a few 17" LCD TVs both in normal and wide screen versions that are quite nice and prices are falling. The nicest looking picture I've seen so far on a LCD is from a Planar Systems model# XP17WSA-01, the brightness and contrast are great and it has a full 3yr warranty. They cost about $800 right now. Planar Systems makes a lot of monitors for medical equipment and many of their LCD screens have exceptional brightness and contrast.
http://www.planar.com/products/lcd_tv17.asp

I saw a Sceptre X7SV-NAGA at Sam's last week for under $500 (eCost also has them under $500 with a rebate offer) but they didn't have it turned on so I couldn't compare it to the other sets they had. The specs look good but you really need to see them and not just go by specs. It only has a 1yr warranty like the Sharp Aquos TVs, many others carry 3yr warranties like Samsung and others.
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x7svnaga.htm

For you these are all moot since you have a 17" wide screen Powerbook, it must be nice, but for others in the group interested in upgrading to a LCD TV they may be interested in looking at these or others.

Mike R.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 24402
"How would you hook up the LCD TV to the DC power source? They
don't have the

'cigarette lighter' plug..."

My normal procedure is to find a nearby light fixture, remove its
mounting screws

(usually just two) and drop it. The connections are obvious--all
you have to do is

take off the wire nuts on the two wires, add whatever wires you
want and then screw

the wire nuts back on.

Andy,
 When I was at the mother ship, Steve showed me how he had gotten the manufacture of the clearance lights to provide a tighter connection for the bulb so it wouldn't vibrate loose.  He then showed me how they removed the provided spade connectors and soldered them to prevent corrosion and loose connections.  He said they solder all the wiring connections.

It may be that the newer models will not have wire nuts and the connections would have to be soldered to keep with LD standards.  I guess you could always use some of the plastic splices.

Jerry

CO wanna be
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646