Skip to main content
Topic: Foam Fire Extinguishers (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Foam Fire Extinguishers
Yahoo Message Number: 24127
The Kidde 466620 shows up on a consumer group rating list, and on the Kidde website, but neither had retail sales. Many sites that sell extinguishers had no foam extinguishers. Are there other distributors?  Is there a reference number for the smaller "Hawk" fire suppressants?                  Ron and 'Bluebelle" a '99 23.5 TKB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Foam Fire Extinguishers
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24138
"The Kidde 466620 shows up on a consumer group rating list, and on the Kidde website, but neither had retail sales."
 A Froogle search on 'Kidde 466620' turned up two online vendors: Ace Hardware Outlet and Live Easy Products. Both were selling the large Kidde foam unit for just under $50. I saw signs for this extinguisher at Home Depot, but it wasn't on the shelves--though other Kidde products were. If you asked, they could no doubt get it for you.
 Incidentally, for those who haven't used Froogle, I recommend it highly as a useful way to locate almost any product online and price-shop. It's an offshoot of Google.
 "Is there a reference number for the smaller 'Hawk' fire suppressants?"
 Hawk makes many sizes of extinguishers, but their most popular is the "Big Shot" fire suppressant. A Froogle search on 'hawk fire extinguisher' will turn up many pages of vendors. The going price seems to be about $15. Note that unlike most extinguishers, these come without brackets. Aluminum brackets are available separately.
 For the record, I bought my Kidde and Hawk foam extinguishers from Mac McCoy, who works in conjunction with RVAA. (RVAA is a large RV insurance form, so they have an obvious interest in preventing RV fires!) At the SKP Escapade I attended last fall, Mac offered an $85 bundle price on one large Kidde extinguisher and three Hawk "Big Shot" suppressants. I bought two bundles--one for Gertie and one for my apartment. Mac's phone number is listed on my website, or you can send email to .

Andy Baird :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24145
Thanks for the reminder about Fire Extinguishers.
Several months ago, before our pickup, I read Andy's description of the fire safety seminar he attended.
Then I started trying to find some of the Kidde Foam extinguishers locally, without any luck.  We've been so busy since out pickup the end of April that I haven't even thought about it again.  After reading this thread of messages, I was in the local Home Depot this morning and decided to check.  Yep, they had the Kidde 466620 model, and it was only $29.86. I just picked up one today, but I suspect I'll wind up getting a couple more of these in the next few weeks.

Ron and Andy, thanks for the reminder,

Charles

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Foam Fire Extinguishers
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24147
We bought two of the foam extinguishers at the Spring Escapade last year after watching a demo.  I use one in the motorhome and have one in my main garage at home (Its near the kitchen).  Foam is a wonderful extinguishing agent for gas/oil fires and works fine on other types...not supposed to use in on electrical fires but I expect I would anyway.  I did firefighting school twice in the Navy and all we used were water fog and foam.  Jack in Reno
 Charles charleshennesy@...> wrote:Thanks for the reminder about Fire Extinguishers.
Several months ago, before our pickup, I read Andy's description of the fire safety seminar he attended.
Then I started trying to find some of the Kidde Foam extinguishers locally, without any luck.  We've been so busy since out pickup the end of April that I haven't even thought about it again.  After reading this thread of messages, I was in the local Home Depot this morning and decided to check.  Yep, they had the Kidde 466620 model, and it was only $29.86. I just picked up one today, but I suspect I'll wind up getting a couple more of these in the next few weeks.

Ron and Andy, thanks for the reminder,

Charles

I saw signs for this extinguisher at Home Depot, but it wasn't on the shelves--though other Kidde products were. If you asked, they could no doubt get it for you.

">lifewithalazydazerv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24160
"...not supposed to use [foam] on electrical fires but I expect I would anyway."
 For 12V fires it should be fine. On a 120V fire, I'm not sure. But as you mentioned, "I did firefighting school twice in the Navy and all we used were water fog and foam," so if it's good enough for them... ;-)

Andy Baird

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 24181
I have been trying to find a replacement for the dry chemical extinguisher that is near the door of the 26MB. In aircraft we never used them anywhere near electrical circuits as they would be ruined.
This due to the small particle size and conductivity of the sodium bicarbonate used as an extinguiishing agent. I am sure it would raise hell with the converter.
 I understand they make a replacement for the old Halon extinguishers that are now banned. The new agent is called, "Halene". I believe it appropriate for all class A, B, and C fires. Correct me if that isn't quite correct, smoke eaters.

Jim Flint

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 24184
"I am sure it would raise hell with the converter. I understand they make a replacement for the old Halon extinguishers that are now banned. The new agent is called, 'Halene'."
 Google turned up no references to "Halene." There are plenty of references to Halon substitutes, but there seem to be no really good answers.
 For example, a paper summarizing last year's 12th Halon Options Technical Working Conference points that that the reason HFCs like Halon are good as extinguishing agents is exactly the reason they damage the ozone layer--the mechanisms are the same. In other words, say the authors, if you find something that works like Halon on fires, it will likely have the same deleterious effects on the upper atmosphere. They end up recommending a combined chemical/water fog system using small amounts of a lower-toxicity Halon (1301) combined with large amounts of water for use on US Navy ships.
 Independent of that, the HFC agents are not as safe as is widely believed. Quoting one report, "When halocarbons are used to extinguish fires they break down into some very toxic by-products. The most common by-product is hydrogen fluoride, one of the most aggressive acids known. Other by-products are also produced, depending on the chemical makeup of the extinguishing agent. Halon 1211 and the newer hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) also produce phosgene, a gas used in early chemical weapons."
 The impression I got from my poking around online (and admittedly I'm not a chemist) was that you really don't want to mess with Halon *or* its putative successors. They are very expensive, and fairly dangerous both to you (due to the phosgene) and your equipment (due to the hydrofluoric acid).
 Let's keep things in perspective. Converters cost a couple hundred bucks. Your Lazy Daze cost tens of thousands of dollars...and your life is priceless. Therefore, if the rig catches fire, put it out as fast as you can, any way you can (and most authorities now agree that aqueous foam is the best way)...and don't worry about the converter! ;-)

That's my two cents' worth, anyway.

Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 24186
Quote from: Andy Baird"

(snip)... (and admittedly I'm not a chemist)

Aw come on Andy, we all believe you are! The words you just used in your message are not exactly ones I use as every day conversation! Is your nickname Einstein?

Linda in Victorville with living plants