Skip to main content
Topic: Escape Hatch (Read 64 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Escape Hatch
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105572
Is there a "how to" for removing and installing an entire new escape vent on my 1985 LD?
Is the frame damaged? The crank unit and the hatch lid are available as replacement parts at most RV parts suppliers. The screen can be re-screened.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105638
Is there a "how to" for removing and installing an entire new escape vent on my 1985 LD?

Is the frame damaged? The crank unit and the hatch lid are available as replacement parts at most RV parts suppliers. The screen can be re-screened.

Steve
I already purchased the entire unit as mine is the original with pop riveted lid.  Also, mine is damaged and I want a new one

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105643
I already purchased the entire unit as mine is the original with pop riveted lid.  Also, mine is damaged and I want a new one
The lid is pop-riveted to the hinge, but the hinge slides apart. A new lid comes with the hinge half already attached. I don't know if anyone has removed the original frame, though I suspect a few have had it done if there was wood rot in the area.
 I have replaced 2 lids and one crank in the 16 yrs we've had our '83. The lid cracking is a common problem, and it is best to prime and paint it for protection after installation.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105644
"I already purchased the entire unit as mine is the original with pop riveted lid."
 Here's a thought. OK, you bought the entire hatch unit. But... if the only thing wrong with your current one is that the lid is cracked, then it might be smart to remove *just the lid* from the new assembly (by sliding the hinge apart as Steve described) and put that on your coach, saving the rest of the new assembly (assuming you have a place where you can store it, of course) for possible future use.
 This way you'd fix what needed fixing, but with far less labor than removing the old hatch assembly, putting in a new one, resealing, etc. And you'd still have the new assembly on hand, in case anything else goes wrong with the old one.

As I said, just a thought. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"