Skip to main content
Topic: How To? 3-Expensive bikes outside (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
How To? 3-Expensive bikes outside
Yahoo Message Number: 2087
With all of the creative design being reported by our club members; I would like to prompt some creative thought.

I build and race bicycles (and kayak). These toys must travel with us when we travel in our LD. They are too expensive to use for bumper guards, and too dirty to bring inside (the new rig).

Please save me from some silly basement/slide-out thang by figuring out how to hide these critters. (The yak stores on the roof ok.)

bob phillips

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2117
How do you get the kayak on the roof? If you can store it on top, why not build a bike rack on top. Take the wheels off and hoist the bike on a light rope. Not real easy but it's out of the way.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2118
How do you get the kayak on the roof? If you can store it on top, why not build a bike rack on top. Take the wheels off and hoist the bike on a light rope. Not real easy but it's out of the way.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2119
thanks for the thoughts.

The kayak is a fiberglass-over-wood 15'-8" sea kayak that weighs only about 40-lb. I haul it up the rear ladder. With one hand for the boat and one for the ladder. Not too hard once over the bumper.

The 'yak is bunked down on fore and aft mounts that I glued to the aluminum roof skin with construction adhesive. The boat is held down with straps to eye-bolts that pass through the roof joists. ( I found the joists by looking at the nails in interior ceiling.) This is NOT approved by Ed Newton, but it has been going along for 6-year now without developing any leaks (hopefully the new owner of the rig is having no problems).

I talked with Steve Newton about putting a plastic box on the roof --with predictable results. He advises against mounting such an obnoxious thing to the roof because there is no blocking in the roof to support it and because of the possiblity of drilling through a wiring bundle.

He also reminded me that the low, aerodynamic form of the LD would be violated by the box. I did a quick back-of-the-envelope drag calculation and agree with Steve that the box would cost about .6-MPG at 70-MPH cruise.

The box would pretty easily contain the three bikes with front wheels off, handlebars turned 90-deg (flat to the floor of the box).

On the rear bath, it looks like fore/aft space between the Fantastic Fan and the A/C limits box space. Also, the factory solar panel takes up the left hand side of the roof --where the 'yak wants to be on the new rig.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

bob phillips

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2120
thanks for the thoughts.

The kayak is a fiberglass-over-wood 15'-8" sea kayak that weighs only about 40-lb. I haul it up the rear ladder. With one hand for the boat and one for the ladder. Not too hard once over the bumper.

The 'yak is bunked down on fore and aft mounts that I glued to the aluminum roof skin with construction adhesive. The boat is held down with straps to eye-bolts that pass through the roof joists. ( I found the joists by looking at the nails in interior ceiling.) This is NOT approved by Ed Newton, but it has been going along for 6-year now without developing any leaks (hopefully the new owner of the rig is having no problems).

I talked with Steve Newton about putting a plastic box on the roof --with predictable results. He advises against mounting such an obnoxious thing to the roof because there is no blocking in the roof to support it and because of the possiblity of drilling through a wiring bundle.

He also reminded me that the low, aerodynamic form of the LD would be violated by the box. I did a quick back-of-the-envelope drag calculation and agree with Steve that the box would cost about .6-MPG at 70-MPH cruise.

The box would pretty easily contain the three bikes with front wheels off, handlebars turned 90-deg (flat to the floor of the box).

On the rear bath, it looks like fore/aft space between the Fantastic Fan and the A/C limits box space. Also, the factory solar panel takes up the left hand side of the roof --where the 'yak wants to be on the new rig.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

bob phillips