Skip to main content
Topic: Hello from Minn. (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Hello from Minn.
Yahoo Message Number: 24003
Hi all,

Mimi and I are in Hutchinson, Minn for the Escapees Fun Days and 25th Anniversary.  It's been a lot of fun so far.  We ran into the Thesens who picked up their MB in Nov 2001 a couple of months after we picked up our Tortuga and used to be on this list more.  They are the only other LD I've seen here besides us and the friends we came with in their 30'.  An interesting comment on the RB vs MB discussion.  He said that if they get another LD they will get the RB instead of the MB they have now.  His reason was that they bought the MB because they liked the view in the back but that they have discovered that they spend little time in the back except for sleeping and that they are more often in the kitchen and dinette area.  They came in and looked around Tortuga and found that the wrap around view from everywhere in the RB would, for them, be more easily enjoyed than in the MB.

We've seen a few LD on the road but they always seem to be heading the opposite way, we give the secret LD wave anyway.
 We are not sure where we are headed after this, other than a trip to the Spam Museum here in Minn.  After that we may go north to Ely, Minn and they turn west.
 Can't really keep up with the forum as my connections are spotty and slow, hope all is well with everyone.

Hugs,

Jonna & Mimi in Tortuga and Sapo the towed.

Re: Hello from Minn.
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24101
Barry,
 Thanks so much for the tip.  I also haven't had time or bandwidth to read the rv communications group although I usually try to follow it.  I read some of the info and it sounds like something I need to do.  I'm on a fast 2 way satellite connection today, via a friendly escapee who is letting me on their wireless network.  What a joy! Please keep us informed if you get verizon to add it to your account.  Have fun

Verizon Express Network
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24116
Barry, Today I changed my Verizon Wireless service to the America's Choice Family Share Plan, and I asked for the Express Network MOU (Minutes of Use) feature.  The Verizon Wireless store manager hadn't heard of that feature, but he easily found it

Re: Verizon Express Network
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24142
I have had the Express Network for about a year using the PC card.
My  plan charges 0.69 per minute when I use the Quick-2-Net option so you might check that.
David

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 24191
With respect to my earlier message about Verizon Express Network, here is the report I promised.

The Express Network I signed up for seems to work fine, and I just updated the Venturi compression software that comes with Mobile Office and ran a speed test (bandwidthplace.com). Here

Verizon Express Network
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 30289
We recently upgraded our cell phone to support the 1xRTT cell protocols needed for Verizon's Express Network service(actually now called National Access).
 This weekend has been the first chance to really try it out (we don't get a useable cell signal at the house).  We are sitting at the Flying Flags RV Park in Buellton, CA and are getting speeds around 120kbps (measured with online bandwidth tests).  This makes web surfing much less painfull than the 14.4kbps we were used to before (though nothing like the cable service at home).  It will be interesting to see how this holds up as we travel.  We were very surprised at the amount of digital coverage we had in the west this past summer (though not all of it may have been Verizon's native network).  We are using the "Minutes-of-Use" option for billing, with hopes Verizon won't cut that off.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 30292
Art,
 I'm not sure where you do most of your LDing, but while we came from Texas to Florida and up the east coast, I was plesently surprised how often I was able to get on the EN (now NA).   Many of the Extended Network nets are now allowing the QNC (14k) access, but you have to be on the Verizon network itself to get the NA as far as I can tell.
 Enjoy the Verizon NA while we have it. It makes keeping up with this group easier.

Barry 26' RB TX

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 30295
We recently upgraded our cell phone to support the 1xRTT cell
" getting speeds around 120kbps (measured with online bandwidth tests). This makes web surfing much less painfull than the 14.4kbps we were used to before (though nothing like the cable service at home). It will be interesting to see how this holds up as we travel. We were very surprised at the amount of digital coverage we had in the west this past summer (though not all of it may have been Verizon's native network). We are using the "Minutes-of-Use" option for billing, with hopes Verizon won't cut that off."

Art

You are going to like Express Network, now National Access.
We drove up the Coast from LA to B.C. last summer and then came down I-5 and cut over the Morro Bay. We had Express Network coverage almost everywhere we camped, except in B.C. Even on the San Juan Islands had a strong digital signal in most places.
Verizon may not have complete coverage but they have the best digital and overall coverage.

Using Verizon's America's Choice unlimited nights and weekends, it didn't cost anymore than it does when we stay at home. (Except for Canadian calls). We do our elective calling in the evening, after dinner or on weekends.

Let's hope Verizon keeps billing it this way.
Your download speeds are similar to what we experienced.  It isn't DSL or cable but it still is noticeably faster than dial-up.
I have problems with Verizon dropping the signal when connected to EN, usually in weaker areas. I'm looking for a roof mounted cellular antennas to provide a stronger signal for marginal signals.
Are you using an external antenna?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 30297
Larry" getting speeds around 120kbps (measured with online bandwidth tests). This makes web surfing much less painfull than the 14.4kbps we were used to before (though nothing like the cable service at home). It will be interesting to see how this holds up as we travel. We were very surprised at the amount of digital coverage we had in the west this past summer (though not all of it may have been Verizon's native network). We are using the "Minutes-of-Use" option for billing, with hopes Verizon won't cut that off."

Art
 We drove up the Coast from LA to B.C. last summer and then came down I-5 and cut over the Morro Bay.  We had Express Network coverage almost everywhere we camped, except in B.C. Even on the San Juan Islands had a strong digital signal in most places.
Verizon may not have complete coverage but they have the best digital and overall coverage.

Using Verizon's America's Choice unlimited nights and weekends, it didn't cost anymore than it does when we stay at home. (Except for Canadian calls). We try to make our elective calls in the evening, after dinner or on weekends.

Let's hope Verizon keeps billing it this way.
Your download speeds are similar to what we experienced.   It isn't DSL or cable but it still is noticeably faster than dial-up.
I have problems with Verizon dropping the signal when connected to EN, usually in weaker areas. I'm looking for a roof mounted cellular antennas to provide a stronger signal for marginal signals.

Larry
Larry

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Verizon Express Network
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 30298
We had Express Network coverage almost everywhere we camped, except in B.C.
 Larry, What happened in B.C.?  Were you able to connect with Verizon but just with a slower connection?  I'm trying to anticipate conditions for our Alaskan trip next year.

Thanks,

Ed Mertz

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Verizon Express Network
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 30299
"What happened in B.C.? Were you able to connect with Verizon but just with a slower connection? I'm trying to anticipate conditions for our Alaskan trip next year."

Ed

I lost Verizon right at the border. In B.C., the phone connected through a local cell phone provider. at a cost of almost a buck a minute.
There may be a way of adding Canada to your cell account, to reduce the cost.

Larry
Larry

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 30300
I lost Verizon right at the border. In B.C., the phone connected through a local cell phone provider. at a cost of almost a buck a minute.

Larry
If you take Verizon's National Plan you can add Canada for $10/mo.
This works for voice.I'm not sure about data.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 30303
We have a roof mounted (mag-mount on metal plate) cell antenna.  We often use it in weak reception areas, but have a strong signal here at Flying Flags, so I haven't connected to it.  It does add 1-2 bars on the signal indicator.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 30304
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, lw5315us

We roamed on Canadian cell networks this past summer.  We often had Q2N service if we had a digital signal.  We looked into Canada roaming before we left.  At that time we could NOT add Canada to our existing NSR plan.  We would have had to sign up for a new NSR+CAN plan and lose our 3500 min. of weekend time.  This wasn't something we were willing to do for a couple weeks in Canada, so we were careful with our minutes and swallowed the roaming charges.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 30305
Linda, Larry,

Thanks for the info!

Ed

If you take Verizon's National Plan you can add Canada for $10/mo.
This works for voice.I'm not sure about data.

Re: Verizon Express Network-Question for Art
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 30309
We have a roof mounted (mag-mount on metal plate) cell antenna.  We often use it in weak reception areas, but have a strong signal
here at

Flying Flags, so I haven't connected to it.  It does add 1-2 bars on the signal indicator.

Art
Art, what brand antenna are you using and is it permanently mounted, and if so, how did you mount it and run the cable into the coach?  I am using the Wilson dual band magnetic mount in the cabin (on a pie tin) and it has improved reception greatly.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Verizon Express Network-Question for Art
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 30328
Art, what brand antenna are you using and is it permanently mounted, and if so, how did you mount it and run the cable into the coach?  I am using the Wilson dual band magnetic mount in the cabin (on a pie tin) and it has improved reception greatly.
Chris,

It sounds like the same antenna.  18-20" tall with a helix shaped section in the middle?  I glued a small galvanized steel place behind the fridge vent on our MB and ran the coax down the same path I used for our XM antenna.  I had to add a coax extension cable to reach the dinette where we usually use it.  When not in use, the coax is curled up and stuck under the driver's seat.

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 30431
Art and Larry - What kind of phone are you using that will allow you to be plugged into the antenna and the computer at the same time?

Sarah

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 30435
"What kind of phone are you using that will allow you to be plugged into the antenna and the computer at the same time?"

Sarah
 I have a Motorola V120E, the cheapo phone. I did check before we got them if they had connector cables and software available for Verizon's Mobile Office. This is what you need to access their Express Network.
Some connector cables will allow you to plug in the battery charger at the same time.

Many phones have antenna plugs. This one has a small rubber plug at the base of the phone's antenna. Once again, check before buying to make sure that an antenna adaptor is available.

As much as you like boondocking and using your telephone/computer, Verizon's coverage would be a good choice.
The digital network does not work well with weaker signals so you need to add a good external antenna to your new home to optimize the connection.
Now there is a whole other subject.

Larry
Larry

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 30438
Art and Larry - What kind of phone are you using that will allow you to be plugged into the antenna and the computer at the same time?
We've got an LG VX4400.  The phone has an antenna connector behind a rubber plug next to the antenna.  You can even plug it into the home battery charger and still plug in the data cable and antenna.  Since the home charger actually runs off 12VDC, via a standard coax power plug from a small power module, I'll probably build up a cable to plug into the 12V outlets.  I've done this successfully with other small battery chargers.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 30439
Larry wrote: . . . As much as you like boondocking and using your telephone/computer, Verizon's coverage would be a good choice. The digital network does not work well with weaker signals so you need to add a good external antenna to your new home to optimize the connection . . .
 I have Verizon, and Mobile office. My Motorola StarTAC Trimode doesn't have enough 'outlets' to allow me to connect to 1. the computer, 2. an external antenna, and 3. the charger all at the same time.
 I'm not so concerned about charging the phone while I'm connected. My wish is to be able to use a good external antenna and be connected to the computer, at the same time. I guess I need to make another visit to the Verizon store and see what they have these days.

Thanks Larry - by the way, are you guys going to be at the Live Oak Caravan? Pete and I are planning on being there. Yee-hah!! Now he'll get to meet lots of the people I've been yammering about.

Re: Verizon Express Network & all wires
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 30442
We've got an LG VX4400. The phone has an antenna connector behind a rubber plug next to the antenna.

Art - thanks! Hope you bring all this stuff to the Live Oak Caravan GTG. It helps me when I can see it all put together.
 I also want to be sure that I know all the different kinds of cables that I need before I drill through the roof to run wires. So far, phone antenna & XM Radio antenna. What else should I be planning on?

Sarah

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 30451
I have Verizon, and Mobile office. My Motorola StarTAC Trimode doesn't have enough 'outlets' to allow me to connect to 1. the computer, 2. an external antenna, and 3. the charger all at the same time.
Sarah,
 We used to use a StarTac 7868W.  We have a Motorola SYN7822A antenna adapter cable.  This connect to the bottom of the phone and has a short coax cable to connect to the external antenna lead.  It also has a "piggyback" connector slot into which you can plug a data cable.
Since we have moved to the VX4400, the adapter could be available "real cheap" (assuming you are going to stick with the StarTac).

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog