Skip to main content
Topic: Chevy or Ford? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Chevy or Ford?
Yahoo Message Number: 23982
My son is considering a 1993 to 1995 LD.  Which is more reliable, the Chevy or the Ford powered chasis?  I know some of you have had experience with either or both.  If he were considering a Ford V10, I could discuss it with him with more confidence, but I don't know enough about either the Ford or Chevy V8.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Allen

Re: Chevy or Ford?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23990
My son is considering a 1993 to 1995 LD.  Which is more reliable, the Chevy or the Ford powered chasis?  I know some of you have had experience with either or both.  If he were considering a Ford V10, I could discuss it with him with more confidence, but I don't know enough about either the Ford or Chevy V8.  Can anyone help me?
Expect some problems from either, the differences lie more in using them. Most of the Chevys will be the small block, so better mileage in gentle use, but not as significant as the loss in pulling power - particularly if you tow. If the steering is in good shape, the Chevy chassis is more car-like than the Ford, easier to drive. It has a lower GVWR, but is also lighter by about the same amount. The Ford has the advantage here over the big-block Chevy. The Chevys are 1.5' shorter.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Chevy or Ford?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23992
Expect some problems from either, the differences lie more in using them. Most of the Chevys will be the small block, so better mileage in gentle use, but not as significant as the loss in pulling power - particularly if you tow. If the steering is in good shape, the Chevy chassis is more car-like than the Ford, easier to drive. It has a lower GVWR, but is also lighter by about the same amount. The Ford has the advantage here over the big-block Chevy. The Chevys are 1.5' shorter.
Thanks, Steve.

Allen