Skip to main content
Topic: generator v. solar panel (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] generator v. solar panel
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23750
and State parks.  My DH wants electricity (I do too).  Which is more important to have?
 First of all, most state and national parks have electricity.  If you plan to boondock, and you want A/C, solar panels won't help (at least that's my take).  You need a generator with sufficient power to run the electrical appliances you want to use.  It is my understanding that solar panels are fine for running your 12 volt DC appliances and keeping a charge on your bateries, or even running some AC lights that have their own inverters, but they would not be enough to run your A/C or your microwave.  How important that is to you depends in part on where you will be.  If you are in one of our cooler parks like Yellowstone or the Tetons, you would not really need your A/C.  If you are going to be in the desert, though, you would need it badly.  If you are  going to be in a dry area, your swamp cooler might do the job, and I think the solar with your batteries might be able to handle that.
I did not have a generator until I bought my LD.  As a result, I tended to camp in sites with electricity.  Certainly state parks generally have it, as do national parks.  Some of the "dispersed" site are now available to us, and they are frequently the prettiest of all.  I have always gone north in the summer to avoid the need for A/C.

Good luck, Allen

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23756
Allen,
 While I agree that most state parks have electricity (and some even have full hookups), I have recently been to Crater Lake National Park (Oregon), Shenandoah (Virginia), and Acadia (Maine), and there was no electricity.
Water was available only at the dump stations, and Acadia had their dump station down as a thoughtless camper drove off with the sewer pipe still attached, causing the collapsible pipe (falling into the dump station pipe and clogging it) to render the dump station useless for nearly 10 days as crews had to completely excavate the station.
 My understanding is that national parks generally have no hookups, and I plan accordingly. My 2001 LD Rear Kitchen (now there is a rare bird) with two solar panels has served all of my electrical needs well, except, of course, the microwave, air conditioner, hair dryer and coffee grinder, where the generator steps in. The Onan generator is somewhat loud in and next to the coach, but it is surprising that the sound is pretty much diminished as you move 50 feet away in wooded situations.
 Have not needed air conditioning at any national parks, however, and if I did, couldn't use the generator anyway due to "quiet hour" restrictions.

Ronald Chicago

Re: generator v. solar panel
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 23761
"I just read Andy's post about the Honda. His prices are way less than I've seen in the camping catalogs (which are in the 2500-3500 range). Am I missing something?"
 I assume you're talking about the Onan gensets, like the ones that LD installs in new coaches. The Honda gensets I referred to are less powerful than the Onan models-- 1,000-2,000 watts vs. 3,000-4,000 watts for the Onans. And of course the Onan gensets must be mounted permananently to the vehicle and connected to its gas tank, whereas the Honda units are designed to be portable and self-contained.
Others in this group can probably add to the list of differences.
 Although the Onan gensets are more powerful, the larger Honda's 2,000W output should be sufficient to run most RV air conditioners, and I know many campers who use the inexpensive little 1,000W Honda for all-around non-A/C power.
 As others have mentioned, the chief thing that keeps me from buying one of the 2,000W Honda units, aside from the cost, is the "where do I store it?" question. The best thing I can come up with is a lockable hitch-mounted storage box--but those are not cheap, and that would add not only extra weight but extra length to my rig.
 So far, I've managed to get by OK with my four Fan-Tastic Fans (two in vents, two portable). As long as I can make do with this inexpensive, lightweight solution, I think I'll hold off on buying a genset. (Of course I also have four solar panels and four house batteries, which help keep those fans running ;-!)

Andy Baird :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: generator v. solar panel
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 23769
Although the Onan gensets are more powerful, the larger Honda's
2,000W output

should be sufficient to run most RV air conditioners, Andy Baird :-)
I agree with everything Andy has said, but there is one caveat to running your a/c with the Honda EU2000.  As you may or may not know, engines loose power in altitude, the higher you go, the more power lose.  Generators are no different.  Which means there output power goes down.  The end result is, at some point in altitude, the 2000 watt Honda, will not be able to start your a/c.  You just need to be aware of that limitation before buying one.  Of course, you can always connect two EU2000's in series to generate more power.

-Victor

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 23781
One thought about the generator (if you need to select one or the other):  It is wonderful to be able to run the AC as you go down the road -- and that really requires the generator.  Your dash AC just can't cool that big box and the heat can get pretty intense.
 On the other hand, we were lucky enough to have both generator and solar panels (two...wow) on the previously owned 2000 LD we purchased.  We love the solar panels when camping "off the grid."  No noise except the wind in the trees! Of course, it depends on what demands you feel you must make on the electrical system when boondocking.

Happy camping

Bobbi & Eula 2000 RK

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 23783
Hey Ronald, are RK models really so rare?  Didn't know that.  (or is it just the 2001 RKs?)  We love our 2000 RK.  Its great to have that cozy area in the back for playing cards, eating, reading, etc.  The only down side I have found so far is in winterizing -- either method.  The pump, located under the front closet, is very hard to access.  You need lots of patience and surgeons fingers!

Bobbi

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 23800
Bobbi,
 Don't have any statistics, but also have seen no mention of the RKs in the Group's correspondence.
 In addition to being able to offer guests a couch  to sit in as soon as they board the vehicle, and enjoying the view while preparing and enjoying meals, the RK offers the greatest passenger seat travel (it moves back the furthest of all 26.5 models) for those with longer legs.

I let my local RV service shop do the winterizing.

Glad you are enjoying the "rare bird."

Ronald

Re: generator
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 23894
" Although the Onan gensets are more powerful, the larger Honda's 2,000W output should be sufficient to run most RV air conditioners, Andy Baird "

"I agree with everything Andy has said, but there is one caveat to running your a/c with the Honda EU2000.  As you may or may not know, engines loose power in altitude, the higher you go, the more power lose.  Generators are no different."

Victor,
 Although the EU2000 seems like it would be capable of running most RV A/C units if you look at the Honda recommendations they don't recommend anything smaller than their EU3000 for that. You must remember that the wattage rating is the maximum, not typical rating, and at only 16.7A! The typical is only 1600w at 13.3A and that isn't enough to run the A/C. The EU3000 on the other hand has a typical rating of 2800w at 23.3A and that is sufficient.
 http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.htm http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/eu2000.htm http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/eu3000.htm

If you look at the A/C specs and manual Dometic and many other manufacturers recommend a 4000w generator as the MINIMUM and that's one reason why it's the standard size in most RVs. If you decide to use an EU2000 you could cause problems with your A/C.

Mike R.

Re: generators
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 23903
"Although the EU2000 seems like it would be capable of running most RV A/C units if you look at the Honda recommendations they don't recommend anything smaller than their EU3000 for that."

I should have qualified my suggestion by emphasizing what is common sense: you must match the genset's output power to your air conditioner's requirements. My 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach high-efficiency A/C unit draws only 10.1A (1,200W), so the EU2000's 1,600W steady output should easily handle it.  If you have a larger or less efficient A/C, this may not work for you, and you'd have to stuep up to Honda's EU3000 model, or one of the still more expensive Onan 4,000W gensets.
 My apologies for posting incomplete information. I sometimes forget that most things in Gertie are optimized for high efficiency, since I have a single 15A circuit to run everything on...so I can get away with tricks that not everyone else can.

Andy Baird :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: generators
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 23925
"My 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach high-efficiency A/C unit draws only 10.1A (1,200W), so the EU2000's 1,600W steady output should easily handle it."

Andy, Based on the specs you gave I assume you have the Mach 3 Plus Power Saver model either 7633 or 8633. The spec sheet for the 7633 on the website shows 10.2A total at high fan speed and 1160-1350 watts at 115vAC depending on ambient temp. The numbers for wattage don't seem to work out using the specs they give.
http://www.rvcomfort.com/7633data. PDF

I've seen specs from Coleman for the Mach 3 Plus Power Saver model 8633 at 10.5A approximate running amps at full load and running watts cooling rated at between 1147-1355w at 115vAC in their ads and that's what the spec sheet shows also.
http://www.rvcomfort.com/8633data. PDF
 I don't think you have the other Mach 3 Plus model 8333A since those specs are higher and the EU2000 would not be a good choice for it.
http://www.rvcomfort.com/8333data. PDF

At any rate a EU2000 should certainly power either Coleman Mach 3 Plus Power Saver model. At least at sea level where Honda rates the output. In a high elevation area it may or may not be able to power it as Victor pointed out. The Coleman spec sheets also point this out as well as the affect the ambient temperature has on the generator output. Provided that's all you power with the generator at least during compressor start-up you should be fine with the EU2000 and either Mach 3 Plus Power Saver model. If you plan to run other items concurrently it may not be big enough for you.

I was really just trying to get the same point you made across.
People need to look at the total power usage they will be expecting to use from the generator at peak levels of use and size the generator larger than that to account for any lower output it may have in certain operating conditions. It's always better to have too much power than not enough power!

In any case your apology is graciously accepted!

Mike R.

Re: generator
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 23994
Victor,

Although the EU2000 seems like it would be capable of running most RV A/C units if you look at the Honda recommendations they don't recommend anything smaller than their EU3000 for that. You must remember that the wattage rating is the maximum, not typical
rating,

and at only 16.7A! The typical is only 1600w at 13.3A and that
isn't

enough to run the A/C. The EU3000 on the other hand has a typical rating of 2800w at 23.3A and that is sufficient.

Mike R.
Mike,
 Can't get anything past you. :-)  I, like Andy, should appologize for leaving info out.  I knew what Andy was saying and didn't bother to clarify my point as well.
 I'm well aware that the EU2000 is not capable of running most A/C's.
But it can run some under the right conditions.  I myself, would not attempt it.

Thanks for keeping us honest.

-Victor

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 24009
Bobbi
 There will be another when our order #8029  26.5 RK TS is delivered in January!  We decided on the RK for many of the reasons commented on in the various posts.

Bill/Marilynn

Any more RKs out there?

Bobbi 2000 RK

">lifewithalazydazerv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 24010
We will add one more to the road in mid-November when our 26.5 RK hits the road.  Our main reason for the RK choice was enjoying the view when backed up to the ocean or lake or Wal-Mart.  We also like the idea of having a separate sleep area for our dogs (as if they would allow that).

Keith

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 24013
Bobbi,

Elated to hear you are going the RK way.
 Will be anxious to hear what changes the Newtons have made in the 2004 RK model.

Ronald Chicago 2001 Red RK

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 24058
Congratulations on your fine taste : - ) and on the purchase of a great rig.
See you down the road!

Bobbi 2000 Blue RK