Skip to main content
Topic: FAULTY WATER GUAGE (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
FAULTY WATER GUAGE
Yahoo Message Number: 23731
Just finished up a 2,000 mile trek from Corpus Christi, Texas to an old farm in northwestern Pennsylvania.  When I started out in my '87 LD, all the guages on the control panel were working accurately.  But about half way here, the guage monitoring the amount of water in my clean water tank registered empty.  I filled the tank up -- and it still registered empty, and continues to do so.  All the other guages continue to reflect accurately the water levels.  Any suggestions where I might start to look for the problems.

Thanks, Lyle

Re: FAULTY WATER GUAGE
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23733
continue to reflect accurately the water levels.  Any suggestions where I might start to look for the problems.

Thanks, Lyle
At the tank. The sensors are nothing more than some sealed bolts run through holes in the tank at the correct levels. the bolts have solder tabs to which are soldered the sensor wires. Likely there was a leak at the ground tab bolt, and it has corroded and the solder tab fallen off. Repair, if this is the case, would requie a little more detail on what you find. Post your model and year, and someone may be able to give you specifics on where to access the sensors.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23737
Appreciate the information, Steve.

I've got an '87 22 ft. LD with a rear lounge.  I've only had the motorhome a few months and so am not familiar with the location of the various tanks.  I'll take a look

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 23738
Appreciate the information, Steve.

I've got an '87 22 ft. LD with a rear lounge.  I've only had the motorhome a few months and so am not familiar with the location of the various tanks.  I'll take a look in the obvious place, right below the filler tube
Below the filler, above the drain, above the floorline, likely under a couch, and often accessible from an outside compartment. That too can be the problem - exposed wires can accidentally be snagged when loading or unloading, ripping them off the sensor atachments.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 23759
Looked for the soddered connection between the filler tube and the drain.  In my '87 rear lounge, that is directly under the sink area.
Sure enough, found a broken wire, in the bottom drawer unit behind which the pump is also housed.  I filled the water tank to full so I would know exactly what the control panel guage should register -- and oddly the control panel registered a full tank even before I reconnnected the broken wire.  Anyway, thanks for helping me nail the problem.

Lyle

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 23810
Just finished up a 2,000 mile trek from Corpus Christi, Texas to an old farm in northwestern Pennsylvania.
Say hi to Jack and Nancy for us! Karen and George

FAULTY WATER GUAGE
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 23742
Had a similar problem.  I could have SWORN the H20 guages were right when I picked up the (new to us) rig.  Anyway, when we discovered we had a problem, we first called Steve at LD.  He suggested it could be a loose ground.  As it turns out, the leads from the tank to the monitor were reversed:  1/3 was on full, full was on 1/3.  Thus, as H20 got lower (in reality) it appeared to be getting fuller!  Sounds like loaves and fishes, right?  It was relatively easy to fix.  Good luck.

Bobbi (2000 RK)