Skip to main content
Topic: Tires & Shocks (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Tires & Shocks
Yahoo Message Number: 41
I need advise. The shocks on my '90 are original, and I need new tires too. I'm in the San Fernando Valley area this week. Do's and Don'ts? Good and Bad? What do you think?

Thanks in advance, Jay

**Far From The Maddening Crowds **

Tires & Shocks
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 42
Jay- I would look at Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks...they will keep the 'sway' down to a minimum...you will probably feel a bit more of the roads imperfections, though. Dial in your tire pressure(not too much pressure) to make up for road feel.
As far as tires go, RV tires should be changed every 6 years if your rig will sit for any length of time between trips. When I bought my used '85 LD (now owned by Mr. ld671), the tires had no tread wear at all...but I had 2 of the Michelin tires separate on me on my first 2 trips.
Michelins don't have a very good reputation with RVers.
Tires rot when they sit idle. I replced them with the house brand from Pep Boys...inexpensive and they did fine considering the expense of changing them every six years. Make sure the load rating is correct.**Maybe Greg can chime in here with the tires he may have replaced since.** My new 2000 LD came stock with Firestone 'Steeltex Radial R45'. Hopefully, you got the LD owner's manual...the section on tires should be helpful.
If you don't have it...I will scan and send that section from mine to your email, or copy and snail-mail to you.
Have fun in your new rig! Rob

Tires & Shocks
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 43
Thanks Rob, I have heard Bilstein shocks recommended before. Are they that much better than Monroe? Are they expensive? So "load rated radials" is the criteria for the tires, and stay away from Michelin...got it.
I do have an owners manual, Thanks.
I do plan to have fun. That's the whole point, isn't it? Going out right away to Death Valley, then on down into the Sonoran Desert for Monsoon Season.
Jay

Tires & Shocks
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 44
I agree with Rob on the Bilstein's. I've heard nothing but praise for them on the RV forums. When LD671 is ready for a new set, she'll get Bilstein's. As far as tires...the (4) Pep Boys brand that Rob replaced the rear wheels with continue to work fine. I replaced the front tires with General Ameri 550's. They also seem to be working fine, but the real test will be an 1800 mile trip planned for this summer.

If you've got deep pockets and want the best, I understand Bridgestone's are the preferred tire. Have a great trip, Jay! Greg
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Tires & Shocks
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 45
I don't know the comparison of Monroe vs Bilstein, but expect to pay around $70-90 each...shop around.
...Glad to hear the Pep Boys tires still rollin' on Greg's LD671. They were only about $45-60 each, I think...Greg has the receipt. Hell, they're made by Kelly Springfield, one of the largest makers of private label tires.
I had to get 'em on a Sunday on the way to Lake Powell...sounded like a machine gun going off under my 6 yr old daughter's butt at midnight when the inside rear dually experienced tread separation! I cut the flapping rubber off and we limped into Vegas.
Michelin=$120 each.
Bridgestone are up there, too.
Monsoon season will be a good test to see if you have any leaks! Lazy Daze says their sealants are good for 8-10 years, so you are probably ready to start on some maintenance if the original owner didn't do any. Check for the roof sealant to be yellowed, hard and cracked. If so, time to scrape it off and replace...alot of work...I did it on Greg's the fall before 'El Nino'...glad I did! If the roof sealant is still somewhat plyable and soft, you should be OK...check the windows and compartments...if the gummy sealant is oozing out, time to re-seal.
I bought our '85 in 1996, and I enjoyed the maintenance projects. You will get to appreciate the LD quality, too...most other rigs over 5 years old aren't worth messin' with if they have been stored outside...Lazy Daze doesn't skimp on the sealant, though.
This is a good forum to get tips...most used LD owners buy their rig at least 10 years old...newer used ones are very hard to find.

Rock on...

Rob