Skip to main content
Topic: LD Color? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
LD Color?
Yahoo Message Number: 23597
I have on order a 2003 26.5/RB/FL in blue(purchase order # 8002).  My question is, does anyone have experience with the silver color (paint) that LD offers?  I went to the factory with a preference for the blue and placed my order with that color. However, when I returned the next day to take a few pictures I saw a silver 26.5 on the lot ready for delivery.  To my wife and I it was impressive! However, while touring the factory, I was told that the silver color was subject to oxidizing and therefore would either not last as long and/or would require more maintenance.  I am thinking about changing my order to silver, but do not want to be looking at what the factory indicated would be a faded out LD in a few years.  I have seen silver colored automobiles on the road that had obviously suffered from such oxidization.

Ron

Re: LD Color?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23911
My

question is, does anyone have experience with the silver color (paint) that LD offers?   I was told that the silver color was subject to oxidizing and therefore would either not last as long and/or would require more maintenance.  > Ron
Ron, A silver LD came into our park today! It was beautiful, looked brand new. It was 10 years old!!! The man had obviously taken great care of it, keeping it in storage, but he had never waxed it! OF course the inside looked just about as good. When my husband saw it, he thought it was new too. He said they used aircraft paint, and some sort of two part process.(I know nothing about!)It really looked better than the newer, blue ones that have been here. I can't get over how great the paint looked.

Kathi

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23932
"...It really looked better than the newer, blue ones that have been
here. I can't get over how great the paint looked."

Kathi
Kathi:

Thanks so much for the reply.  Linda and I did in fact change our minds on the color and sent a letter off to Steve on friday. We are going to order a 2003 Honda Element (also in silver) as a toad.
Presently we have a Ford F250 with Elkhorn 8S camper that we use to tow a 26 foot pontoon boat.  One more trip to the Ozarks for bass fishing at Table Rock, then on to Canada for more fishing.  Then the truck and camper will be seriously on the market.

Ron & Linda Order #8002

Was: LD Color? Now: Ozarks
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 23962
Ron and Linda wrote: . . . One more trip to the Ozarks for bass fishing at Table Rock . . .
 Ron & Linda: Years ago when we lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma, my husband and I loved to camp in NW Arkansas and SW Missouri. I remember staying at Table Rock one summer, and the Ranger came by and told us there was a $100 reward if we found a mosquito. The point was that there weren't any. And, THERE WEREN'T. What a beautiful part of the country that is.
 Happy Trails, Sarah, Mz. Daisy the Elder, and the Toad still in Seattle

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Was: LD Color? Now: Ozarks
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 23968
Ron and Linda wrote: . . . One more trip to the Ozarks for bass fishing at Table Rock . . .

Ron & Linda: Years ago when we lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma, my husband and I loved to camp in NW Arkansas and SW Missouri.
Sarah:  So true!  And, what a small world.  Linda and I both were raised in Tulsa, OK - she a Will Rogers Graduate and I Tulsa Central.  Then University of Oklahoma and Central State University.
Have settled in Colorado after thirty years in the military but can't stay long away from our old stomping/camping grounds.  We were going to Silver Dollar City when it was nothing but the cave, flour mill and swinging bridge.  What a change!  And Branson was a couple of motels and the Bald Knobers.  How time does change all.

Stay safe and have fun,

R&L

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 26032
We too are seriously considering a Honda Element for a toad.  I assume you have researched it and it definitely can be towed? thanks for the input.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 26035
We too are seriously considering a Honda Element for a toad.  I assume you have researched it and it definitely can be towed? thanks for the input.
Am going by Motor Home magazines "Towable Suvs & Pickups" list dated January 2003.  Have sold the F250 and just tonight sold the Elkhorn Camper.  So, tomorrow I start serious dinghy search.  So far I really like the element as a toad.  Will let you know as the week progresses.

R&L

LD color
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 23644
Ron was asking about the silver color and thinking about changing the order he placed for a blue unit. Ron, I just picked up a silver LD and can't tell you how thrilled I am with the appearance and the quality of the paint job LD did. Yes, they tell almost everyone about the oxidation problem, but I also asked the group the same question that you did. The folks who have older silver/gray units seemed to think their coaches held up just fine! I worked in the auto industry, and years ago, the silver and gray cars did oxidize, but so did red and some of the blue colors, but that problem has mostly vanished.
The worst surfaces were the horizontal ones, you know, the roof, hood and trunk. On the LD, the silver and gray are only on the side and would not get that much direct exposure anyway. I would encourage you to get whatever color you want. Don't have regrets later. And YES gang, the new LD made it back to Ohio, nearly 2400 miles in 3.5 days, and I will give you the entire "delivery report" soon. IT IS GREAT! Steve K (sunny but soggy Ohio)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

LD color
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 23650
Steve, Congratulations on your new LD. Glad to hear you made it back to finally sunny Ohio. I would be very interested in your complete process of what you shipped to LD to the walk thru to the route you drove home. We live in sunny (today) but still soggy southeast Ohio. We also ordered a silver/gray 26.5' MB which is due probably late November to early December.

Steve V