Skip to main content
Topic: Water Tank 26 RB (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Water Tank 26 RB
Yahoo Message Number: 23403
I've seen it, I've touched it, and I'm still here to tell you about it. It all started when I got tired of tugging on the couch twice a day when helping to make up the bed. The "tugging" was due to the rough plywood surface between the underside of the couch/bed and the top plywood surface of the box frame it passed over. So I decided to sand, stain and varathane the crude plywood surfaces thus creating less friction. It's not difficult to disassemble these pieces as they're held together with small brass screws. Just look closely and take a few notes or make a drawing if you're concerned about the reassembly. Back to the water tank. When I removed the top panel under the left side of the couch - nearest the dinette - there it was. It appears to be a one piece sealed unit. Next to it, going forward, was the top of the outside bin. This is where the fresh water valve is located. Since I had the top off of the outside bin I decided to place a piece of foil covered Styrofoam insulation in the bin top. Very easy to do in the exposed state. The water tank is best left not insulatlated because one wants the heat from the inside to easily reach it. I have photos, which I've had intentions of posting, but frankly I don't know the procedure.
I would be remiss if I didn't tell the rest of the story. I'm fortunate in that "Merlot" can be parked in front of our house garage. This enabled me to refinish all the pieces inside at my leisure. ( no mess or smell in the RV ) Since it was raining - which happens once in awhile here in Washington State. I had plenty of time to put on as many layers of Varathane as I wanted. Somehow I managed to put on a lot. It looked great! Once reassembled it moved like butter on a hot piece of toast. In fact it was so easy that the couch wanted to show off it's movements whenever it had a chance. However needing to show some discipline to the rest of the furniture, I installed a pin which holds the couch in place when on the road.
Bill Atkins 2002 26 RB "Merlot"

Re: Water Tank 26 RB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23412
  I've seen it, I've touched it, and I'm still here to tell you about it. It all started when I got tired of tugging on the couch twice a day when helping to make up the bed. The "tugging" was due to the rough plywood surface between the underside of the couch/bed and the top plywood surface of the box frame it passed over. So I decided to sand, stain and varathane the crude plywood surfaces thus creating less friction. It's not difficult to disassemble these pieces as they're held together with small brass screws. Just look closely and take a few notes or make a drawing if you're concerned about the reassembly. Back to the water tank. When I removed the top panel under the left side of the couch - nearest the dinette - there it was. It appears to be a one piece sealed unit. Next to it, going forward, was the top of the outside bin. This is where the fresh water valve is located. Since I had the top off of the outside bin I decided to place a piece of foil covered Styrofoam insulation in the bin top. Very easy to do in the exposed state. The water tank is best left not insulatlated because one wants the heat from the inside to easily reach it. I have photos, which I've had intentions of
posting,

but frankly I don't know the procedure.
I would be remiss if I didn't tell the rest of the story. I'm fortunate in that "Merlot" can be parked in front of our house garage. This enabled me to refinish all the pieces inside at my leisure. ( no mess or smell in the RV ) Since it was raining - which happens once in awhile here in Washington State. I had plenty of time to put on as many layers of Varathane as I wanted. Somehow I managed to put on a lot. It looked great! Once reassembled it moved like butter on a hot piece of toast. In fact it was so easy that the couch wanted to show off it's movements whenever it had a chance. However needing to show some discipline to the rest of the furniture, I installed a pin which holds the couch in place when on the road.
Bill Atkins 2002 26 RB "Merlot"
Bill, Thank you for the detailed response to my question. When I took the couch/bed off the box frame, I could see the top of the water tank.
When I pulled the couch out about 2 feet and got down on my hands and knees I could see the water tank clearly. When the 1/3 amber light on the monitor panel is lit you have 1/3 of a tank of water. It will be interesting to see how much water I have when the red light comes on.
So, when the red light on the moniter panel comes on, I will repeat this exercise and know how much water is in the tank. When we go on trips we try to keep weight of the RV minimum. Again, I thank you for your input.

Oscar (2003 26.5 RB)