Skip to main content
Topic: Fresh Water Tank (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Fresh Water Tank
Yahoo Message Number: 23340
How many gallons of water must be in the Fresh Water Tank before the red light on the control panel turns to amber color?

Thank You, Oscar

Re: Fresh Water Tank
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23348
How many gallons of water must be in the Fresh Water Tank before the red light on the control panel turns to amber color?
Oscar, I doubt if anyone has actually done this measurement, but without knowing which model and year you have, there is no answer.
Further, depending on sample variation, I doubt if yours would be similar to anyone elses to any high degree of accuracy.

Our water tank will indicate 1/4 full anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the acual capacity of the tank, roughly. My wife LOVES to tell me I have just used 1/4 tank of water for my shower, even if the actual level fell from just above the 1/2 full sensor to just below it. But, by opening a side compartment, I can easily SEE the side of the tank, and if parked level, with a ruler I can actually calculate how much water is still in the tank, knowing its capacity, to a high degree of accuracy. This is what I recommend you do.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23365

Oscar, I doubt if anyone has actually done this measurement, but without knowing which model and year you have, there is no answer.
Further, depending on sample variation, I doubt if yours would be similar to anyone elses to any high degree of accuracy.

Our water tank will indicate 1/4 full anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the acual capacity of the tank, roughly. My wife LOVES to tell me I have just used 1/4 tank of water for my shower, even if the actual level fell from just above the 1/2 full sensor to just below it. But, by opening a side compartment, I can easily SEE the side of the tank, and if parked level, with a ruler I can actually calculate how much water is still in the tank, knowing its capacity, to a high degree of accuracy. This is what I recommend you do.

Steve
Steve Thank's for the info, we have a 26.5 RB, 2003 LD; and Is there a way which I could see the water tank?

Thank you, Oscar

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 23383
Thank's for the info, we have a 26.5 RB, 2003 LD; and Is there a way which I could see the water tank?
Perhaps someone else can give specifics. Likely the tank is under the couch - any outside or inside compartment access that area?

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Fresh Water Tank
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 26163
Duh!!!  Where's my fresh water tank?  On a 2002 23.5" front dinette I have been unable to find my fresh water tank.  My LD will be setting up for 2 to 3 months and I wanted to drain the tank.  It took me sometime to post this message as I know there will be laughs but I really can't find it.  I have been under the LD--front to back and side to side--a puzzle to me.  I have also looked inside except under the dinette or sofa cushions, but even if the tank is there it would certainly have a drain coming out the bottom--wouldn't it?  I saw no drain when I was under the LD.  The factory won't be back until 9-2- 03 so I thought possible someone on this group might know the tanks location.  Your help please.

JK

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 26212
Duh!!!  Where's my fresh water tank?  On a 2002 23.5" front dinette I have been unable to find my fresh water tank.  My LD will be setting up for 2 to 3 months and I wanted to drain the tank.  It took me sometime to post this message as I know there will be laughs but I really can't find it.  I have been under the LD--front to back and side to side--a puzzle to me.  I have also looked inside except under the dinette or sofa cushions, but even if the tank is there it would certainly have a drain coming out the bottom--wouldn't it?  I saw no drain when I was under the LD.  The factory won't be back until 9-2- 03 so I thought possible someone on this group might know the tanks location.  Your help please.

JK
JK, The location of your fresh water tank and instructions on how to drain it is as close as your Lazy Daze Manual.  If you have not read through it about five times by now, I suggest it get on your reading list.
 The manual contains much data that will enhance your enjoyment of and the longevity of your LD.

Don McG

Fresh Water Tank
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 37067
Group

More newbie questions

I going to move the LD into storage for a week or two.
 I need to drain the fresh water tank as the water is old....should I sanitize the tank now or wait till I next use the unit and then add the bleach solution and flush?
 Do I fire up the hot water heater or just open the hot water valves?
 Once sanitized and drained dry do I need to re-sanitize the tank and systm before refilling and using?

Also, what black tank treatments / additives are being used?

Thanks

Jerry Thompson

Re: black water treatments
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 37068
"what black tank treatments / additives are being used?"
 Recommended: enzyme, bacterial or nutrient treatments--e.g., Odorlos (probably the easiest to find), Pure Power, Eco-Save, Thetford Aqua-Zyme, et al.
 Avoid anything with formaldehyde, paraformaldehyde or similar toxic substances (e.g., Thetford Aqua-Kem).
 It's also probably a good idea to avoid Thetford's SupremeGreen (Thetford doesn't say what's in it on their website, and most of their other stuff is highly toxic) and Campa- Chem (comes in two varieties, one formaldehyde-based and the other unknown-- probably a dilute SupremeGreen, from the description).
 For detailed information on this and other tank-related questions, see phred Tinseth's "Poop Sheet" on "Macerators and Other Sewage Stuff" ( phrannie.org/macerator.html>).
 For information on freshwater tank procedures and treatments, see phred's Poop Sheet on "Water Treatment." An index of all the Poop Sheets is at http:// phrannie.org/phredex.html. As a beginner, I learned a tremendous amount from reading these, and I still reread them periodically. Highly recommended!

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 37464
If it weren't for Barry replying to this post I may well have overlooked it altogether, Thanks for replying to it, Barry!

"I need to drain the fresh water tank as the water is old....should I sanitize the tank now or wait till I next use the unit and then add the bleach solution and flush?"

There's no need to sanitize the fresh water tank prior to storage.
You really only need to sanitize it after it's been in storage. The reason is that no matter what you do you'll never get every bit of the water out of the system and have it become completely dry. This makes for a good breeding ground for bacteria, mold, mildew, etc.
Things you really don't want in your water system! When you take it out of storage you should then sanitize the system before use to rid it of any of those things that may potentially find their way into the system and could possibly make you sick.

"Do I fire up the hot water heater or just open the hot water valves?"

No need to re-heat any water that was in the tank, just drain it out. If you don't you may not like the look or smell of what comes out of it next time you use it! You could very well find gelatinous goo oozing from the faucets when you turn on the hot water. Any chlorine that may have been in the water before it was heated would be long gone and lots of awful things will often start to grow in that tank. The conditions are just perfect for lots of nasty things to grow in them after the water has been heated and allowed to cool.
The smell of water coming out from it even after a good sanitizing may also remind you of rotten eggs or worse! Not only that but the tank will deteriorate far faster and you could end up with a leaky one. Always drain the hot water tank

"Once sanitized and drained dry do I need to re-sanitize the tank and systm before refilling and using?"

Re-read my answer to your first question if this isn't yet clear.

"Also, what black tank treatments / additives are being used?"

I've used a several over the years but have found that Seazyme, Digest-It, and even the generic stuff sold at Camper's Choice along and a couple of other similar products work best. I've also had good luck with Odorlos but don't like the fact that they now use dyes in the product. I even sent them a letter once when they first started adding the dye because I felt it reduced the value of their product.
Dyes actually adversely affect these products and are also bad news for the environment and people so I stay away from products that use them. The reply I got from the maker of Odorlos was that they had many requests from people wanting a dye to make it easier to see and they intended to continue using the dye. It used to be basically a milky color and easily seen in their containers so I don't quite understand that! They also stated that the dry type didn't have dyes but I prefer liquid types. At any rate I won't use their product anymore and have had great luck with the others. There are lots of non-formaldehyde products on the market and ones without dyes in them and most do a good job.

A particularly important thing to look for since space required and weight should be a deciding factor for RVs and boats is a product that uses a smaller amount of product to treat the tank. Also, those using 2oz/ 40gls of waste typically end up being cheaper even when the cost per container appears to be higher because many use 4oz or more. That just means they're "watered" down.

John M