Skip to main content
Topic: Headin' for lil'rock Arkansas (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Headin' for lil'rock Arkansas
Yahoo Message Number: 23292
We are going for a long road trip from SoCalifornia to Little Rock, Arkansas the first week of July. I'll be taking the I-40 all the way to Arkansas. I need good tips on places to see, eat, stay, and areas to avoid. From California, I'll be passing Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, lil' bit of Texas and Arkansas. At this time, this will be the longest trip my LD will do.
Thanks for a great tip...

Edd
2003 Mid Bath

Re: Headin' for lil'rock Arkansas
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23295
We are going for a long road trip from SoCalifornia to Little Rock
Edd, There is a lot to see along I-40 if you have the time to venture off the interstate.  We love Az and NM's history, culture and food.
Sedona is a favorite.
Haven't traveled that area in the LD yet so not any help on campgrounds.
Beware of road construction on I-40 and I-30 in Arkansas.  The segmented concrete surface has been horrible for a car and I can imagine what it's like in the LD.  Check out www dot arkansasinterstates dot com for an update.

Malcolm
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23298
  Beware of road construction on I-40 and I-30 in Arkansas.  The segmented concrete surface has been horrible for a car and I can imagine what it's like in the LD.  Check out www dot arkansasinterstates dot com for an update.

Malcolm,
Thanks so much, thats a good link... perhaps mouth guards will be in order. Hope my Copilot 2003 copes with those eventualities. edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 23303
"We are going for a long road trip from SoCalifornia to Little Rock, Arkansas ...I need good tips on places to see, eat, stay, and areas to avoid."
 I'll let others cover the southwestern part of the trip, but let me mention my favorite place in Arkansas: the little-known Terra Studios ( www.terrastudios.com>). It's somewhere between an artists' colony and a sculpture garden, with a new, clean, inexpensive RV campground  ($15/day with full hookups) on the premises.
 More than that, it's a simply magical place, bursting with creativity and whimsy. Rather than attempt to describe it further, I'll refer you to my "Travels with Gertie" website (http://www.andybaird.com/travels/first/first10.htm#terra> ), which has a detailed description and photos.
 Terra Studios is outside of Fayetteville, Arkansas, about 20 miles north of Rt.
40 in the northwestern corner of the state--so it's only a little bit out of your way. If you're looking for a place to stay (or just visit) on the way to or from Little Rock, I highly recommend  it!

Andy Baird :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 23309
Andy, Thanks for the info about Terra Studios and the web site.  Somehow I missed that a few months ago when I was reading about your trip home with Gertie.  My brother-in-law lives in Fayetteville and he helped me drive our new LD home from the factory the end of April, so I spent one night at a campground in Fayetteville on the way home.  It was ok, but nothing special, and it was $25.  We're planning a trip back to Fayetteville to visit before fall, and Terra sounds like a really neat place to stay.

I love to visit these kind of hands on craft places, especially when you can watch them do some of the work.
We used to visit Hot Springs Ark regularly, and one place we always stopped was at a local pottery place.
We would always take the tour and watch the folks turning clay on the pottery wheel and making bowls, vases, etc.  Fascinating.  And then of course we would hit the shop and buy something.  In fact, all of the cereal bowls we use today came from that pottery shop about 15 years ago.

Thanks for the info and the link,

Charles.

...let me mention my favorite place in Arkansas: the little-known Terra Studios ( > www.terrastudios.com>). It's somewhere between an artists' colony
and a

sculpture garden, with a new, clean, inexpensive RV campground
($15/day

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 23311
Edd, We just drove I-40 all the way from CA to Memphis, TN the end of April, first of May on our trip home from the factory with our new 26.5 MB.  We made a quick trip out of it and spent a couple of nights

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 23313
More than that, it's a simply magical place, bursting with
creativity and

whimsy. > Andy Baird,
Looks like a great place I'm sure my kids will love it too...
I enjoy reading your travelog.
Thanks! edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 23317
In places

we couldn't drive anywhere near the speed limit because it would have jarred all of the fillings out of my teeth.
Ark has sections that are almost as bad, and lots of construction zones.

Charles,
I'll make sure that I pay attention to road signs and condition, really appreciate the heads up.
Congrats to your new born! edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 23320
If you like Bar-B- Que, be sure to stop at Jiggs in Clinton, Ok.
Right off I-40 . They are only open from 9am to 4pm.
Brian

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 23332
Hi Edd,

I can't help you with campgrounds for RVs, but Sarah Blackwood can certainly inform you about Sedona.  She just spent some time there.
 As for sightseeing, the Grand Canyon is an obvious choice - it is 60 miles north of I-40, exiting at Williams.  The Trailer Village at the South Rim is really awful looking: a bunch of concrete pads with hookups.  Yukh!

Just west of Amarillo, Tx, is the delightful "Cadillac Ranch" - an art work (of sorts) featuring 10 old Cadillac cars buried nose-first in the middle of a wheat field.  The cars are covered with graffiti, but that seems to enhance the whole thing.  It is one of those "only in America" kinds of places. It is right along I-40 - on your right heading east.

Just south of Amarillo about 40 miles is Palo Duro Canyon State Park.  It is very beautiful.  There is a campground there, plus hiking, scenic drives and an outdoor musical production (large cast, etc. - I haven't seen it) called, appropriately: "Texas".

If you like pottery factories, there is a place just west of Tulsa, OK, called Frankoma Pottery in the town of Sapulpa.  I have not been there, but it sounded interesting.

In Claremore, TX, is the wonderful Will Rogers Memorial Museum.  It has mementos from his life and he is buried there.  My mother used to tell me about Rogers and how delightful he was, so my husband and I visited the museum.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.

There are so many great spots to visit along your route (tourist traps and genuinely wonderful places).  Sometimes the tourist traps can be a lot of fun.  Enjoy and drive safely.

Roz, the Wannabe

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 23335
In Claremore, TX, is the wonderful Will Rogers Memorial Museum.
Oops!  I meant to say Claremore, OK.  Please don't look for it in Texas!

Roz

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 23341
Andy,

You might want to add Terra to the "Parks, Roads, Bridges, Sites " database under AK.

Barry 2001 26.5' RB Red Texas

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 23363
If you like Bar-B- Que, be sure to stop at Jiggs in Clinton, Ok.
Right off I-40 . They are only open from 9am to 4pm.
Brian, We love BBQ's...
Thanks edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 23366
if you want to park at my curb in Albuquerque

NM with a 15 amp cord hookup and a fresh water re-fill toss me an email.

Dan,
Thanks for the hospitality, barring unforseen eventuality I might stop by. edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 23368
My mother used to

tell me about Rogers and how delightful he was, so my husband and I visited the museum.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.
Roz, Thanks for the tips, Mr. W. Rogers has a nice museum here too(SoCal).
I love Sedona and Grand Canyon, we were there last April. edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 23374
I drove I-40 two week ago from Little Rock to the turn off for Fayetteville in my 22ft Lazy Daze.  The worst area for rough road was from Conway to Little Rock.  There is some construction but I had no trouble.  Don't know where you plan to stay in Little Rock, but check out Maumelle Park.  It is a Corp of Engineers park on the Arkansas River just outside of Little Rock and a great place to stay.

On another subject, does anyone on this list own the 26ft tan and white Lazy Daze at Blue Mountain in Bella Vista?

Jo

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 23399
Don't know where you plan to stay in Little Rock,

but check out Maumelle Park.  It is a Corp of Engineers park on the Arkansas River just outside of Little Rock and a great place to
stay.

Jo, My daughters will compete in pre-teen America(a scholarship competition), which will be held in Peabody Hotel in Little Rock.
According to Woodalls directory, the closest campgrounds are in Burns Park and Koa little rock north. Is Maumelle Park close to the Hotel? Any suggestion? Has anyone stayed in a Koa Campground? their rate seems expensive...
I appreciate your reply, edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 23401
I can't recommend it (at least at that time of the year) however because the deer flies were so bad that we had to stay in the LD most of the  time.

Barry, I have to bring several cans of bug spray too. edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 23407
Maumelle is a little further out than the KOA and Burns Park but I think you would like it.  Check it out on http://www.reserveamerica.com  It is off Arkansas Highway 10 which is a straight shot in to the Peabody.  I do recommend making reservation as it is a very popular place to camp.  I would go out there on the weekends when I lived in Little Rock.  It was about 8 miles from my house, but once I got there it felt like I was a long way from the cares of town.

Jo

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 23655
Jo, My daughters will compete in pre-teen America(a scholarship competition), which will be held in Peabody Hotel in Little Rock.
According to Woodalls directory, the closest campgrounds are in Burns Park and Koa little rock north. Is Maumelle Park close to the
Hotel?

Any suggestion? Has anyone stayed in a Koa Campground? their rate seems
expensive...

I appreciate your reply, edd
We stayed at the Little Rock KOA on our trip home to NH last fall after having picked up our new RB from the factory.  We got into the KOA after dark and were well-treated, but (unbeknownst to us) they put us in a site which had had problems with the sewer connection.
When we attempted to dump our tanks in the am, it was a very unpleasant sight watching the black tank waste back up onto the ground before we could get to close the valve!  We had to move (gingerly) to the adjacent site to properly dump.   Needless to say, it would not be our first choice location in the Little Rock area, despite the friendliness of the staff.

We have excellent experiences at the few Army Corps locations we've overnighted in, however.   You should try to make reservations if that's the type of place you choose, as I understand they are popular.

BTW, our experience on I-40 between OK City and Little Rock was as others have mentioned.  What a jarring experience... I suspect that's when the left mirror arm developed a pronounced up/down movement.... at least we didn't notice the problem before that stretch of interstate.

Dianne 02 red RB NH

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 23673
KOA after dark and were well-treated, but (unbeknownst to us) they put us in a site which had had problems with the sewer connection.

We have excellent experiences at the few Army Corps locations we've overnighted in, however>

BTW, our experience on I-40 between OK City and Little Rock was as others have mentioned.  What a jarring experience>

Dianne,
Thank you for the heads up, Burns park I think is also near.

edd
2003 Mid Bath