Skip to main content
Topic: Just ordered our new LD last week (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Just ordered our new LD last week
Yahoo Message Number: 2056
We placed our order for the newest LD model, the 26.5 ft Rear Kitchen. Actually Ed Newton, the owner of the company gave us plenty to think about by having us consider the utility of each part of each motorhome they produce. He got us to begin thinking about various uses for each area in the LD. The IB models' bedroom unfortunately for us could only be used for sleeping. We actually went there with the 30IB as our selection and came away with the 26.5RK being what we ordered. The choices were difficult for us because we could have settled for any 26.5 or 30 ft rig on the showroom floor but space utility won the day for us. Our needs will differ from others' needs but this was the one for us. Ed told us we would be picking up our LD sometime in mid September or possibly early October.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2171
Congrats on ordering the RK. That's what I've got, and am enjoying it. There are some "options" I wish I'd requested:

1- There is no accessory  12v outlet anywhere except dash board (and that runs  off the truck battery). There are two outlets for the  TV and VCP but they're in use. I wish I'd gotten  two--one between the barrel chairs and one near the  dinette table, so I could plug in the little inverter for  my laptop 'puter.

2. There is no AC outlet on  the street side anywhere forward of the bathroom.
 When I have shore power, I'd like to plug in my dish  satellite receiver somewhere near the TV. I have to run an  extension cord from the curb side, over the bed, etc.
 Ugh!  
3. Did you order solar? I did and am glad I've got
 it. One detail: Winter boondockers have learned that parking the rig east-west, then tilting one long side of the solar panel towards the low winter sun doubles(!) your charge current. LD's cell mounting made it very easy to do this by removing two screws, loosening the other two, and lifting the free side.
Unfortunately, I discovered, too late, that LD has changed the mounts for the solar cell, making this almost impossible. (Why! I have no idea!) If winter boondocking, as in Quartzsite, might be important, this is something to think about.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever the LD people decide you should have.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2177
Noel:

I too, would like to have had an extra AC outlet on the street side of our 2000 RK. I would also like to have one just above or below the table to accomodate a toaster with a short cord, as most of them have. We have to stack our toaster on top of cereal boxes to have the cord reach the AC outlet under the cabinet. Pete

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2179
We did order the solar cell too. I am glad to hear that you think it is a good investment. We ordered the entertainment center over the cab instead of having the bed up there. We will use the two couches pulled in the front lounge as our bed. The bed that can be formed from the dinette in the rear kitchen will be for the occasional use of our grand children.
Over 90% of the time there will be only two of us using the MH. We did not order extra any 12 volt outlets. Our laptop with sterio speakers and 1000 MP3s music files from Napster will be our music source for the most part when we are camping. We will use the CD player while traveling.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2193
Thanks, Cyberskier for sharing what options you would have ordered in retrospect and how glad you are that you got the solar panel. It's on this point(#3) that I would appreciate some clarification. Are you saying to double the charge out of the panel, you have to move it physically? If this is correct, I would see how LD would have a problem with this. Although I may have not understood you. I am thinking of ordering a solar panel on ours.

Regards, Straf14
2001 Rear Bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2195
Solar panels transfer more energy when they are perpendicular to the sun's rays. When the sun is just grazing across them, there is virtually no output -even in bright sunshine.

Check the link to Mark Nemeth's web site in our club's links to see how he tilts his panels.

bob phillips