Skip to main content
Topic: Draining H2O (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Draining H2O
Yahoo Message Number: 23263
Wrote last week about adding batteries to the 22ft '78 LD I recently purchased.  Ended up successfully adding batteries.
Actually drove the LD 45 miles today and discovered a few engine leaks I hadn't seen idling in the seller's driveway or going a couple miles on city streets.  No big deal.  These old Dodge motors are pretty straight forward.  Went to fill the H20 however and discovered something nasty.  I think somebody poured some fuel in there at some point -- maybe the seller since he was handling the sale for his old neighbor who had moved.  I see the grey water drain and the black water drain on the driver's side, but I can't find  a drain for the water storage tank near the coach door on the passenger side.  Anbody know where I should be looking?

Thanks

Ben

Re: Draining H2O
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23264
side, but I can't find  a drain for the water storage tank near the coach door on the passenger side.  Anbody know where I should be looking?
The drain valve on ours is directly below one corner of the tank, inside a lower outside storage compartment. The drain pipe continues out a hole in the floor of that compartment.

If you suspect tank contamination, I would remove the tank for inspection and thorough flushing. They are always accessible in LD with minor disassembly.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Draining H2O, H20 Fill Looks Like Gas Cap -old models
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 23285
wrote: Went to fill the H20 however

and discovered something nasty.  I think somebody poured some fuel in there at some point -- maybe the seller since he was handling the sale for his old neighbor who had moved.
Patty's aunt has a '75 (I think) LD built on a Dodge Chassis.
It is easy to see how it could happen.  The water fill cap looks like a gas tank fill cap to me.  Patty's aunt labeled it in 2 inch letters: "WATER ONLY" or something to that effect.

Now that we all pump our own gas in the USA, maybe it is not the potential problem it once was.  However, if you go to Canada you would want that for sure.  The gas station attendants pump the gas there.  Maybe "AQUA SOLAMENTE"? for Mexico?

Ken, Patty and little Stephanie in San Diego

Re: Draining H2O, H20 Fill Looks Like Gas Cap -old models
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 23288
Now that we all pump our own gas in the USA, maybe it is not the potential problem it once was.  However, if you go to Canada you would want that for sure.  The gas station attendants pump the gas there
And Oregon.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Draining H2O
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 23273
passenger side.  Anbody know where I should be looking?
 I suggest you call the mothership.  That is the best source of information on older LD's.

Allen

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Draining H2O
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 23277
Thanks Allen.  I'm trying to hold off on calling LD until I get really, really stuck on something (grin.)  As it happens I found the dra

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 23283
12v lighting issues the coach is in great condition.  The original manual has a diagram for the exterior lights.  I may have to make a call to figure out the problematic interior lights -- one in the bath, and several in the bunk area over the cab.  I haven't taken a stab at the propane system quite yet...
A few tips. Replace all the 12V fuses in the coach fusebox. When old, the tubular glass types develop invisible microcracks in the element that can drive you up a wall looking for any obvious problems.

Grounding is where exterior light fixtures have problems usually.
Either the ground connection is bad at the fixture, or the 'grounded' body panel no longer is. Interior flourescent lights of that vintage have a capacitor that fails, causing noisy operation at the early stages, smoke then non-operation at the end. In our '83, all but one were in various stages of failure eventually. If you can do the repair yourself, it is a cheap fix.
 The propane tank will be obsolete if the PO has not already replaced it. Lots of info here on replacement, upgrades, etc. If the tank is ok, but you suspect other problems, then the first useful step is a manometer check of system low-side pressure, done at the stove. Lots of flame/burner irregularities can trace to this. If you still have a swamp cooler, they need periodic service. Toilet valves develop leaks with time. Toilets become loose and need reseating. The polybutylene plumbing compression fittings crack and leak - first at the water heater tees. Etc...

Sounds like you enjoy this stuff - it can be fun as well as a challenge. As my wife said a couple months after our purchase ".. so is this just your little private driveway project, or are we actually going to go somewhere?"

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 23291
Steve, Fortunately the swamp cooler was replaced with actual A/C at some point.  Toilet etc are good -- probably because the PO used the unit for showers etc when they had guests at home.
The propane tank is certainly an odd size.  I'll search the archive on upgrading.  I had thought I could just have it refilled and then check for leaks.  I'll check the ground wire on the exterior lights if I can find the ground on the body panel.

Thanks!

Ben

Was: Draining H2O, Now: fuses
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 23331
aq433 wrote: (snip) - - - Replace all the 12V fuses in the coach fusebox. When old, the tubular glass types develop invisible microcracks in the element
that can drive you up a wall looking for any obvious problems. - - -
 Well Steve, thanks for this little tip. Ever since I¹ve had Mz. Daisy, I¹ve had periodic trouble with the refrigerator fuse. It¹s the little glass type that you¹re talking about. It¹s outside near the burner. Well, I even have a little screw driver that lives in that compartment, because if/when the refrig gas won¹t stay lit, I go out there, unscrew it, and gently screw it back in, and the burner ALWAYS comes back on at that point. Visually, the fuse looks good. You may have solved one of life¹s little mysteries for me.
 Sarah   ~^_^~ Mz. Daisy, and the Toad ­ heading out of Fremont, CA to Ashland and then Portland, OR.
N 37°33.202¹ W 121° 59.924¹ Elev ­4¹   (Well, that¹s what the GPS says, but it¹s only accurate to 12¹ today.)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]