Skip to main content
Topic: V10 transmission  (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
V10 transmission
Yahoo Message Number: 23177
Hi --

I just joined the list and am hoping to get some feedback to help make the final decisions soon so I can order my motorhome.

We have heard that the reputation of the transmission on the V10 package is not very good.  I am also told that Ford recently changed to a "beefed up" model.  Could anyone please comment on the reliability of this information and any experiences you have had?

Also, we are considering the diesel but are told that the extra mileage and longer engine life benefits do not outweigh the extra cost for the engine and the annoyance of the noise of the diesel.
Comments, please.

I look forward to many happy days with the LAZY DAZE.  This will be my first motorhome after two fifth-wheel trailers.

Keith

Re: V10 transmission
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23181
"We have heard that the reputation of the transmission on the V10 package is not very good.  I am also told that Ford recently changed to a "beefed up" model.  Could anyone please comment on the reliability of this information and any experiences you have had?"

Keith

I do not know where you heard that but overall it's wrong. The V-10 engine and transmission package has developed a good reputation for durability. We have a very large fleet where I work and among it are many Ford V-10/automatics. They are in a range of vehicles ranging from pickups and vans to larger trucks. We have even switched to them from diesels, primarily since they are available with Factory natural gas fuel systems. We are having very few problems with them. If you do a good internet search on some of the other RV sites, you see few problems on the newer models. The early engines had some hose clamp problems and other small things. The engine/transmission combination has been in production for several years now and the bugs have been worked out. As for changing to a "beefed up" model, the factory is always making improvements or they should be

If you are willing to wait, Ford has a new truck automatic transmission that is now only available in their pickups with the new
6.o Powerstroke diesel. It will be used with the gas engines in the
 next year or two. It will be used in the van cutaway chassis at some point.
 I would not worry about the transmission other than performing proper maintenance on it.
I'm impressed with its performance in our LD. The shifts are quick and crisp and the trans never "hunts" for gears on upgrades. The factory has programmed the computer well.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23183
Keith,

I have been driving a Ford F250  V10 crew cab long bed 4X truck for three years (nearly 40,000 miles). Before we bought our used LD two months ago we placed a slide in camper on the truck routinely, and pulled a trailer full of motorcycles behind it. We frequently took it on trips up steep mountain passes, in town, on the freeway - you name it. The engine has performed flawlessly and powerfully since day one. Our 2001 LD has the V10 also and so far, so good.

Now mileage is another issue... ten or eleven MPG is aobut the best we can get.  But, if the quality of the engine is what you are concerned about, I give it a thumbs up. BTW for all you ladies out there, I think the LD is jujst as easy to drive as my truck - and a lot more fun, so get out of those passenger seats!

Linda in cool!!! and breezy Victorville

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 23196
We have heard that the reputation of the transmission on the V10
package is not very good.  I am also told that Ford recently changed to a "beefed up" model.  Could anyone please comment on the reliability of this information and any experiences you have had?

Also, we are considering the diesel but are told that the extra mileage and longer engine life benefits do not outweigh the extra cost for the engine and the annoyance of the noise of the diesel.

Keith,

First, you will love your Lazy Daze. Second, I've been monitoring this list for two years now and have read every post and have, on at least a couple of occasions, asked in my posts about the problems people have had with their Lazy Dazes, including the chassis. There have been virtually no problems reported with the Ford V-10 drivetrain, engine or transmission (or the LD coach, for that matter). I'm sure there are some drivetrain problems, but they just don't seem to rise to the level where people report them. That says a lot to me. Most lists like this are dominated by complaints. Third, having owned the Taurus from hell with an abominable transmission I had many apprehensions about the Ford chassis. Those have pretty much disappeared. I think the V-10/4-speed automatic combination seems to have good power, performance and reliability.

Regarding the diesel, there are some members here who have that option and like it. That would be the 7.4 litre Powerstroke Diesel, with the same auto transmission that is paired with the V-10. From what I've been able to deduce, the main advantage of the diesel would be in high mileage applications, such as full-timing or regular weekend and vacation use, because of the purported longer life of the engine (although V-10 longevity seems pretty good too). Diesel disadavantages have been added weight, higher initial cost and more noise under certain conditions, especially for listeners outside the vehicle, such as in a quiet campground. I considered this option but ultimately settled on the V-10.

As for the future, Ford will introduce a new diesel engine/transmission combination in the 2004 E-450 on a "late availability" basis. From what I've read that means very late '04 or early '05. Considering the lead time for motorhome chassis that could mean as late as next spring before that drivetrain starts to show up in LD motorhomes rolling out the door, though the factory would certainly know better than me. Despite the late availability of the new diesel, the old diesel will be phased out this summer. Again, LD would be the best source of info on their current ability to deliver diesel motorhomes, either "old" or "new" Powerstroke.
 The new diesel is a 6.0 litre Powerstroke with many improvements over the current engine, including significantly more horsepower and torque. It should also be much quieter. I don't know about weight. I suspect it will continue to be substantially more expensive than the V-10. The new diesel will be paired with a new 5-speed auto transmission built to handle greater power than the current model.
All reports from the pick-up crowd are that this is a great powertrain combination, but it has had some teething problems.
 As for the V-10, there is a 3-valve version somewhere on the horizon and it will eventually be paired with the new 5-speed transmission, but I don't think either of those is likely in the 2004 model year.
 My own conclusions about all this were that that the current V-10/4- speed drivetrain provides completely adequate power, performance, economy and reliability for the LD motorhome. What you generally hear is that people are very impressed with its overall performance. So to me, anything beyond that is just gravy. We decided to go ahead and order rather than wait for some future improvement because we're in our mid-50s and we want to get on with this dream.
 I'd say order based on when you want to have a motorhome, not on when some improvement will be available (there are always more coming).
Regarding the diesel choice I'd say the main reason to go that route would be simply if you're a diesel person. Some of my best friends are . . .

Terry Burnes Palo Alto, CA
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 23203
I believe there are 2 different transmissions that can be coupled with the V10 - the E40D and the 4R100.  The 4R100 is the heavier duty one and has been

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 23246
Keith,

I don't own a Lazy Daze, so I'm not familiar with the V10 and its transmission.  But I own a 94 Ford Club Wagon with a 351 V8 matched to a 4-speed transmission.  It has 126,000 miles on it, and has gone through 2 torque converters.  The third one was put on about 10,000 miles ago.  I just don't know how long it will last.

As far as the V8, it's been reliable.  But it's NOISY.  Mileage is 15mpg at 70-75 mph.

Sam
 --- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "fclover2003"

V10 transmission
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 23179
Hello, Kieth, I have not heard any negative comments about the Ford power train.  I did about six months of research before I decided to but a LD, and I encountered no negative feedback about the V10 or its transmission.
As for the diesel, I know of two negatives:  it's expensive; and it's heavy.
Besure you are willing to give up the carrying capacity for the one mile per gallon savings.  I get about ten miles per gallon (+/-) with a 1997 Ford V10 (coach was a '98, but the chasis was a '97).  I could not be more pleased with the performance of both engine and transmission.
I did encounter one Ford chasis with a transmission problem, but that was on another make of RV.  The owners had consistently exceeded both the GVWR and the GCWR.  You cannot blame a vehicle if you abuse it.

Allen

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] V10 transmission
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 23239
Keith

I can make two comments re the Ford tranny.
One, the tranny used in some Ford trucks is a smaller unit than used in the E450.  There have been some problems reported for that unit.  See a recent Motor Home or Trailer Life article, probably in the Chassis sections.
Two, at his suggestion, I had my transmission mechanic install a higher rate spring in the pressure regulator.  This accomplishes the same crisp shifts as the Banks Engineering module.  I've got about 18,000 miles on my 2001 and have had no problems with the engine or the tranny.

Jim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]