Skip to main content
Topic: Bathroom fan (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
Bathroom fan
Yahoo Message Number: 147528
I installed a  Heng's 90043-CR Vortex 12 V Exhaust Vent Kit in my 1995 22-foot Front Lounge LD the other day as a replacement for the original factory installed fan. But after I got the whole thing installed and working great I realized I had a problem: The corner of the bathroom closet door opens directly over the handle that opens the fan vent. And since the handle is deeper than the fan housing the corner of the door hits it and won't open.
 I can't see a way to remedy it, so my first question is, Does anyone know a fix for this? Assuming not, my next question is, Does anyone know of a fan I can install that'll fit and work given the bathroom closet door situation?
 I've looked at a Fantastic Fan but I see no measurements that would tell me if my door would open. The fan housing, including the opener mechanism, would have to protrude down into the room no further than about 3/4" from the ceiling.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Chuck Custer Bellevue, WA

Re: Bathroom fan
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 147533
"Does anyone know a fix for this? "  Chuck  Trim the door? Change to a lower profile knob. A Fantastic's controls and vent knob are all up inside the trim and do not hang down.  Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 147538
Chuck, it sounds as if your problem could probably be solved by replacing that vent crank with something that doesn't hang down as far. You can get a large, flat knob that replaces the standard vent crank. A Google search for 'rv vent knob' will turn up lots of choices.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 147539
"A Fantastic's controls and vent knob are all up inside the trim and do not hang down."

That depends on whether you have the "high profile" or "low profile" model. My factory-installed Fan-Tastic fan has the recessed controls, but the Fan-Tastic fans that you and Mike Sylvester installed have controls that protrude half an inch below the ceiling.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 147580
Hi Chuck. I'm in the process of putting in a Vortex fan in a friends 2001  Mid-bath, bathroom. Fortunately no clearance problems with doors there. Does the  bathroom door (not closet) sweep across the entire fan? The vent lid actuator  can be moved 180 degrees, That would move the hand knob further away from the  door. How much interference is there, a quarter inch, 1/2 inch? The knob can be  sanded down to make it thinner. In many models of motorhomes, not just L.D. the  upper inch or so of the door is missing to allow air circulation. Maybe also to  allow for clearance problems. I didn't receive the spacer adaptor necessary for  the Jensen retrofit (our fans were Jensen). Haven't gotten any response from  Hengs yet. Hope this helped RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 147585
Ron, thank you for your reply. It's the tip of the closet door that sweeps within about an 1/8" over the interior femaile gear that accepts the male gear that opens the vent. Since I wrote my message I've realized I could turn that factory installed upper section of the fan so that the gear mechanism is at one side or to the back of the RV rather than to the front where it is now. That way the closet door would not interfere.
 As far as I can see, however, that means I'd need to basically remove all the rooftop sealant and essentially start from scratch, as though I was installing an entirely new fan. I think I can do that but I understand removing that sealant is quite a job, and then making sure my finished re-installation is waterproof may also be a challenge.
 If I do have to start from scratch does anyone know where I can find good information for removing that Dicor sealant and whatever else LD used when they built my rig?
 To all those who have made suggestions, thank you. At first I thought  Andy's idea to look for a flatter knob might work but no such  luck. The knob would have to be basically only cardboard-thick.

Again, thanks for any ideas.

Chuck Custer in Bellevue, WA

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 147587
How about cutting off a bit of the closet door? Or if it's not actually hitting it - ignore it.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote, On 7/23/2014 5:31 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 147592
"Ron, thank you for your reply. It's the tip of the closet door that sweeps within about an 1/8" over the interior femaile gear that accepts the male gear that opens the vent."

Why not just install the low profile fantastic fan and be done with these clearance issues. I have one in the bathroom and it works great. Don't cut into doors. These kind of mods are generally frowned upon by LD owners and could affect resale value.

In my experience when you but a fantastic fan it is the last fan you will ever pay for. My over dinette F.F. recently started whining and making bearing noise after 13 yrs. of use. Fantastic fan replaced motor, blade, and vent cover/assy. at no cost to me. I payed a few bucks for shipping. Prior to this the grill and housing started cracking. Again I called them and all replaced for free including speed control, switches, and thermostat. This is a company that stands behind their product.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 147593
Bob, just so you know. During the recession, in 2010, Fantastic vent  fan got bought out by Atwood Mobile Products. So now all parts do cost a bit. I  bought a new garnish and a new vent lid for about $40. The lid was a double  layer, so a little better insulator. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 147594
That is interesting. My experience was different. In 2012 I noticed my Fantastic Fan grill was cracking and called there customer service line. They immediately were aware of the problem and sent me a whole new interior top assembly with newer style snap on grill, as opposed to older screw in type. Again no charge for parts, just a minimal shipping charge.

I love this company as they seem to honor a lifetime warranty on their fan products. Never been turned down or charged for a replacement. How do they make money?

Bob

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 147597
"Why not just install the low profile fantastic fan and be done with these clearance issues."

In order to do that, he'd have to first remove the existing fan, which would be a major pain. He's hoping to find a way to avoid having to do that.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 147600
Bob, I think your idea of replacing with a Fantastic Fan is a good one. I probably would have done that in the first place but was trying to avoid the whole rooftop sealant removal issue by installing an inside replacement instead. Being lazy I guess... and it looks like I've paid for it.

Eric, I'm not inclined to cut into the door for cosmetic reasons. But even if I wanted to, I'd have to cut into the mirror on the closet door too and that gets into WAAAY more trouble than I want to take on. But thanks for the thought.
 Oh, and yes it does hit the vent knob so I have no choice other than to temporarily stick the knob up into the gear and then remove it each time I want to raise/lower the vent.

Chuck in Bellevue

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 147602
"Bob, I think your idea of replacing with a Fantastic Fan is a good one. I probably would have done that in the first place but was trying to avoid the whole rooftop sealant removal issue by installing an inside replacement instead."

You might want to check with Larry on tips for fan removal. It took him about 5 minutes to get my old factory installed fan out of the roof. New one was in, wired and sealed less that 1/2 hr. later. I believe he used 3M 5200 to seal. It has never leaked or had any Issues. When I want to really move air thru the coach turn on dinette fan to intake and bathroom one to exhaust. Gets fresh air in fast and bad odors out (like when I burned bread I was making the other night.)

Bob