Skip to main content
Topic: Great time in Victorville (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Great time in Victorville
Yahoo Message Number: 23142
One of the best things about traveling around is meeting people on this list.
 I spent a terrific day with our very own Linda and her 12-year old, gregarious genius, charming, jazz-playing son Chris, in Victorville, CA.
(Her husband unfortunately had to w**k).
 She told me about some wonderful places along I-395. I know I won¹t be able to take them all in, but one that¹s a Œfor-sure¹ is the down-home root beer floats she told this group about several weeks ago. I have the location and directions!! I even know where that campground is that¹s on the creek where she and her son hiked up across the snow to find the waterfall. What a wealth of information she is!! And her son¹s a peach. I tried to talk him in to coming on the trip with me, but he would have none of it. I DO think however, that a hand-held GPS may be in his future ­ he really grooved on the whole geo-caching gig.
 We went to a Barns and Noble, and compared Atlases. We did a comparison of the Benchmark atlas and the Delorme Atlas. Both of us thought the Benchmark maps http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/ (Steve T. supplied these URLs recently). were easier to read and had better info (especially for boondocking, hiking, etc) than the Delorme http://www.delorme.com/ although I have the Arizona Delorme and it¹s helpful.  They didn¹t have any of the California Benchmark Atlases, so I¹ll just wait until I get up into the SF Bay area and find a map shop.
 So I¹m spending another night at the Elk¹s Club. It¹s a nice little club with an electrical hookup and a good water supply. Will take off for Northern California and much cooler weather in the AM.

Stay cool and safe ­ Sarah in Victorville.
N 34° 30.388¹ W 117° 17.712¹ Elev 2,952¹

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Great time in Victorville
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23145
I¹ll just wait until I get up into the SF Bay area and find a map shop.

Hi Sarah,
There is a Rand-McNally Book and Map Store in San Francisco, at Market near New Montgomery Street.  I will be working near there tomorrow (Tuesday) and I will check to see if they have the Benchmark Atlas for California, plus any others.

You are more than welcome to stay at our home for a while.  We are not in cool San Francisco, but the weather out in Concord is a bit more predictable.  You can stay in the house or plug in Mz Daisy from our relatively-flat driveway.

Hope to hear from you.  E-mail me at rivermama at astound dot net.

Roz the Wannabe

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23174
O.K. Sarah,

That is "BARNES".  We Barnes's are sensative to that mistake.

Barry (BARNES) 26.5' RB TX (Still

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 23200
Quote from: Sarah Blackwood

I¹ll just wait until I get up into the SF Bay area and find a map shop.
Hi again, Sarah,
 I checked the Rand McNally Book and Map Store in San Francisco (it is on Market and 2nd).  They have the Benchmark Atlas of California in stock.  The cost is $24.95.  I have not checked with Barnes & Noble.
 It is a marvelous atlas - definitely better than DeLorme's.  There is so much more topographical detail.

Let all us NoCal folks know when you will be up our way.  I will be on the Colorado River later this month.  My husband and I would enjoy meeting you and I am sure everyone here feels the same.

Roz the Wannabe

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Great time in Victorville
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 23220
Roz wrote: (snip)- - - I checked the Rand McNally Book and Map Store in San Francisco. They have the Benchmark Atlas of California in stock.- - - Let all us NoCal folks know when you will be up our way. - - -
 Great reason to take the BART over to town!! Well, my plan is to head out of Carson City in the AM and get on over into the Bay area. Don¹t know where I¹ll land, but I sure am interested in getting to meet as many of you Bay Area people as possible. Anyone have an idea for some place a bunch of us could get together?

That¹s probably impossible. So I¹ll just make the rounds.
 I¹m REALLY looking forward to SF coolness. Hope there¹s fog cutting through the Golden Gate Bridge. Wow. I love that sight.

Drooling ever so slightly, Sarah

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Great time in Victorville
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 23221
Barry Barnes wrote: (snip) - - - O.K. Sarah,

That is "BARNES".  We Barnes's are sensative to that mistake.   - - -
Sheesh Barry, you caught me with my spelling pants down!! If spell-check doesn¹t catch it, I¹m sunk.    ~^_^~

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 23223
Quote from: Sarah Blackwood

Sarah,
 BART is an excellent idea.  Get off at Montgomery Street and you will be right next to the Rand-McNally Store or, at worst, right across the street from it.
 It is wonderfully cool here right now.  The fog is definitely keeping the Bay covered.

Hope I get to meet you.  I so want to find out what it is like to full time in a Lazy Daze.  Don't know if my husband would want to do that, but it sure sounds great.

Roz, the Wannabe