Skip to main content
Topic: awning, barrel chairs, maintenance manual (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
awning, barrel chairs, maintenance manual
Yahoo Message Number: 23084
Hi all!  We just spent the afternoon looking over a 1982 RB LD for ssale and we think we're going to buy.  A couple of issues which hopefully you great people can help with:

We pulled out the awning ok but had a terrible time getting it back in.  It seemed to be on a roller, using the same principal as a window shade at home.  It was as if the roller mechanism needed to be re-wound.  We had to get on a step ladder (one person on each end) and mannualy turn the roller.  There has to be an easier way!  Help?

The barrel chairs are simply awful - much too narrow to sit in comfortably.  I was astounded to see they were not bolted to the floor!  They were free standing with seat belts behind them bolted to the floor.  I'm going to take these out and replace them with something else.  Suggestions?  Should the replacements be bolted to the floor?

My husband is an airplane mechanic and feels he can do most work on the LD if he had a service manual.  Is it possible to buy one from the mothership?

We're very excited to have actually found a LD not too far from us and in pretty good shape.  After we get these issues addressed, we're going to be ready to make an offer.

Leslie Massachusetts

Re: awning, barrel chairs, maintenance manual
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23087
The barrel chairs are simply awful - much too narrow to sit in comfortably.  I was astounded to see they were not bolted to the floor!  They were free standing with seat belts behind them bolted to the floor.  I'm going to take these out and replace them with something else.  Suggestions?  Should the replacements be bolted to the floor?
LD does not bolt its tilting, swivel chairs to the floor. In the model you saw, the chairs must be moved out from the wall and rotated to be used at the fold-up dinette table. Else you would have to set up the larger table stored in the closet and use the couch as your only seat for eating.

The seat belts slip through slots between seat and arm for use, and this is probably nearly as adequate for adults as if the chair were bolted to the floor. For small children, no. But, IMHO, you will likely not find any class-C or class-A motorhome which approaches the minimum safety standards applied to personal passenger vehicles. Some class-B models are much better in this respect, but a 'Burb pulling a travel trailer is yet a better solution for families' safety.

Personally, I find the chairs in our '83 quite comfortable, but I usually prop my feet up - on a stool or the couch - and tilt back.
Anything roomier would take UP a lot more room, which I am not willing to lose.
 Try to get a make/model number off the awning. LD used many different models, as the production runs are never more than a few years on most - especially the box type. Ours is a Capri II, and I can tell you most anything specific to that model.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] awning, barrel chairs, maintenance m
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23090
Leslie in Massachusetts - The new models come with barrel chairs which are only held in by seat belts.  We had no problem with them.  Bill in Cleveland