Skip to main content
Topic: Solar panels or not? (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Solar panels or not?
Yahoo Message Number: 1979
Just bought a 1989 22'RL. Should I add solar panels and if so which type/size? Am a novice and have no idea how long the batteries last without them.
Also is there enough roof room? Already have up there a roof rack, AC, swamp cooler, antenna, and large storage pod. Are they necessary? If so, why didn't the previous owners install them? Any advice appreciated!

Solar panels or not?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1980
How do you plan to use your LD ? Stay in RV parks or campgrounds with no hookups. Do you stay for a couple of days or week or two. How much electrical equiptment do you plan on using? Solar is expensive but enables you to stay in a non hookup area longer before having to charge your battery.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Solar panels or not?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1981
Considering the cost of solar panels(>=$5/watt) and the fact that they only produce power for an average of 5hrs/day, IMO, they are NOT a good investment.
Personally, I would buy one of the superquiet Honda generators(EU3000IS) and a good 3 stage battery charger. Check out: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensupframe.htm and http://www.mayberrys.com Tom Fisher Dallas, TX

Solar panels or not?
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1983
We virtually always dry-camp, and have never run low on power with our two 53W solar panels. We have no microwave or generator, we have a small catalytic heater for the bulk of heating, and we do most of our camping from late September thru May.

If we run into cloudy days, the batteries alone are good for more than three days. In sunny weather, they seem to replace the charge as fast as we use it. Most camping where we stay in one place is in SoCal, on longer trips we are rarely in one spot for more than four days.

As a side note, I have never spoken to anyone who has installed a similarly sized solar system who has been dissatisfied with the result. In the long run, it is a cheap, reliable, silent, and virtually maintenance free resource. Our system cost about $550 four or five years ago, and I installed it easily myself.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 1989
We stayed in the mild Alaskan summer(60-deg days, probably low 40 nites --no heater use) for 6-days in the boondocks with an 86 Multiplan before having to run the engine for 1/2 hour to recharge the dual house batteries.

I'd put off the solar panels until you are sure that you'd rather have them than the occasional engine run.

bob phillips

Solar panels or not?
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 1990
We stayed in the mild Alaskan summer(60-deg days, probably low 40 nites --no heater use) for 6-days in the boondocks with an 86 Multiplan before having to run the engine for 1/2 hour to recharge the dual house batteries.

I'd put off the solar panels until you are sure that you'd rather have them than the occasional engine run.

bob phillips

Solar panels or not?
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 1993
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should've been more explicit. I don't have a usual routine as I've just obtained my first motor home. I imagine that I will use it for weekend stays, and would probably prefer boondocking or dry camping to staying in full-service parks. I do have a generator to run the A/C, micro, etc., but am concerned about its obnoxiousness.
My idea for a solar panel would be to worry-free run the TV/VCR (I have an AC-DC model), water system, lights, and so on without depleting the batteries. Is it true that the batteries will hold a charge for these things for at least a couple of days without having to drive around aimlessly to recharge the house batteries via the truck battery -- or running the generator ad nauseum? Just don't want to get caught unaware with no battery power. How quickly do the batteries recharge? Is it really only a 1/2 hour of driving?

Solar panels or not?
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 1995
It will take a full day of driving to fully recharge depleted batteries. To make the batteries last longer, they SHOULD be FULLY recharged as soon as possible after use.

We use our m'home pretty much as you envision, and have found that before the solar panels, the two batteries would show signs of getting low (which means quite depleted) after about 2.5 to 3.5 days. With one solar panel, this never happened, and we added a second for insurance. We are extra conservative in drawn-out bad weather, since the solar panels are useless except in full sun.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 1996
It will take a full day of driving to fully recharge depleted batteries. To make the batteries last longer, they SHOULD be FULLY recharged as soon as possible after use.

We use our m'home pretty much as you envision, and have found that before the solar panels, the two batteries would show signs of getting low (which means quite depleted) after about 2.5 to 3.5 days. With one solar panel, this never happened, and we added a second for insurance. We are extra conservative in drawn-out bad weather, since the solar panels are useless except in full sun.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 1997

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 1998

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 1999
Your batteries are charged on a curve - the alternator puts out a given VOLTAGE, and as the batteries charge, the current at this voltage goes down and charging slows. While boondocking, it is not necessary to fully charge the batteries - this will happen when you drive home. All you need to do is start and run the engine for about a half hour. I have boondocked for a week and a half several times and found that the original charge is good for 4-5 days (to about 30% charge), then running the engine for half an hour every other day kept up the charge. For me, solar panels would not be worth it. The engine is not loud.

Good luck

Gus Weber

Solar panels or not?
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 2000
Your batteries are charged on a curve - the alternator puts out a given VOLTAGE, and as the batteries charge, the current at this voltage goes down and charging slows. While boondocking, it is not necessary to fully charge the batteries - this will happen when you drive home. All you need to do is start and run the engine for about a half hour. I have boondocked for a week and a half several times and found that the original charge is good for 4-5 days (to about 30% charge), then running the engine for half an hour every other day kept up the charge. For me, solar panels would not be worth it. The engine is not loud.

Good luck

Gus Weber

Solar panels or not?
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 2001
For much more efficient charging from your engine alternator take a look at: [url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.amplepower.com/products/sarv3/ and [url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.amplepower.com/ps_reports/v2-2/ The bottom line is that IF you are boodocking a lot and charging from your alternator or your generator and charger, it PAYS to spend a few bucks to get the most efficient system. I will agree that solar is appealing but it just cannot compete with an efficient engine charging system.
I'm NOT trying to sell these systems. I have just researched this a lot and come to this conclusion.
Tom Fisher Dallas, TX

Solar panels or not?
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 2002
"I will agree that solar is appealing but it just cannot compete with an efficient engine charging system."

There are a lot of factors this hinges on, so as a blanket statement it is incorrect, Tom. A properly functioning solar recharging system will satisfy modest needs for some people - like myself - better than any alternative. It does it's job, and I never have to give it a thought. The energy is forever free, there is no noise, no decisions to switch it on or off, no maintenance other than an occasional spraydown with the hose. The initial investment is the total lifetime cost of operation.

I

did voluminous research on PV systems and the alternatives before investing, but my comments are from actual experience.

Gus, I have to disagree about letting the batteries discharge over several days before recharging fully.
Although current Lazy Daze's have the golf cart batteries, which are pretty rugged as regards less-than-perfect care, their lifetime is still shortened by only partial recharges. As a practical matter, if you don't have the facility to fully recharge them often, you do what you can - but if you can treat them better, they will last longer.

Our older model has 12V RV/Marine style group 27 batteries - one standard, one I added. With constant topping off by the solar panels, the batteries have been lasting over 6 yrs, about twice what seems to be typical for this type. Reports I have from others using golf cart batteries indicate a similar doubling of battery life.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 2003
"I will agree that solar is appealing but it just cannot compete with an efficient engine charging system."

There are a lot of factors this hinges on, so as a blanket statement it is incorrect, Tom. A properly functioning solar recharging system will satisfy modest needs for some people - like myself - better than any alternative. It does it's job, and I never have to give it a thought. The energy is forever free, there is no noise, no decisions to switch it on or off, no maintenance other than an occasional spraydown with the hose. The initial investment is the total lifetime cost of operation.

I

did voluminous research on PV systems and the alternatives before investing, but my comments are from actual experience.

Gus, I have to disagree about letting the batteries discharge over several days before recharging fully.
Although current Lazy Daze's have the golf cart batteries, which are pretty rugged as regards less-than-perfect care, their lifetime is still shortened by only partial recharges. As a practical matter, if you don't have the facility to fully recharge them often, you do what you can - but if you can treat them better, they will last longer.

Our older model has 12V RV/Marine style group 27 batteries - one standard, one I added. With constant topping off by the solar panels, the batteries have been lasting over 6 yrs, about twice what seems to be typical for this type. Reports I have from others using golf cart batteries indicate a similar doubling of battery life.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 2004

I

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 2005
Solar Panels also offer advantages when you're not RVing. A good electronic charge controller will do an outstanding job of keeping your house batteries properly charged when your rig is in storage.
/noel/

Solar panels or not?
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 2006
I think the issue here is how much power do you require to live "comfortably". If you need the satelite TV, microwave, etc, then solar isn't going to work.
If you must run a engine to charge the battery, the van motor has a much higher charge rate than most generators, even if you are using external battery charger.
Steve your, 83 LD came with a 63 amp alternator( mine is a 83 also). My first modification of the electrical system was a big marine alternator. The charging/battery system on my LD was poorly designed and the electrical construction was poorly executed, lots of voltage drops. Changing to a 2/6V golf cart battery and adding one 48 watt panel has helped extend my parking time to 3-4 days . By then the wife is ready to go for a drive. Next MH, 2 100watt panels.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Solar panels or not?
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 2007
"The energy is forever free" ?? It's a easy choice for me: [url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.hondashop.com/eu1000.htm $648 for 10X the power of one $500 solar panel available 24hrs per day. Equivalent power in panels would cost $5000.

Solar panels or not?
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 2008
Adding a good alternator charge controller will also decrease your charging time considerably: [url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.amplepower.com/ps_reports/v2-2/

Solar panels or not?
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 2009
Adding a good alternator charge controller will also decrease your charging time considerably: [url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.amplepower.com/ps_reports/v2-2/

Solar panels or not?
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 2010

Solar panels or not?
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 2011
"$648 for 10X the power of one $500 solar panel available 24hrs per day. Equivalent power in panels would cost $5000. "

Our complete 106W solar charging system cost about $550. Unless you run the generator 10 hrs a day, you don't generate 10X the charge return to the battery. To get a decent charging system, you either need an expensive upgrade to the converter or bother with hooking up a charger to the battery every time you haul out the generator.

Note that solar works fulltime in the sun - while you are driving down the road, visiting a museum, having lunch at a cafe, shopping in the supermarket, or just away from the campsite all day on a hike. A portable generator only works when you haul it out and set it up and twiddle your thumbs waiting for the batteries to charge back up.

Not only does the generator weigh several times that of the solar setup, but you have to waste valuable storage space, deal with messy fuel and oil, not to mention the expense of feeding it. All told, in its lifetime, you will spend many times your original purchase price, if you try to go the 20 years the solar panels will last at a minimum.

If your instantaneous 110 VAC power requirements fall into the appropriate range for a 500W generator, then that is a necessity, I suppose. I prefer the ease of never having to worry about battery charge or carting around unwieldy appliances to do a job more effectively accomplished automatically with solar panels.

I'm glad the choice seems easy for you, Tom - mine certainly was easy for me too.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Solar panels or not?
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 2012
Steve,

I thought there was some kind of doohicky that only let one charging source at the batteries at a time. For example, the alternator source would supercede any trickle coming from the solar panel. Is that not so?? Thanks for your valuable insights..

Ron