Skip to main content
Topic: Explain our elec. system? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Explain our elec. system?
Yahoo Message Number: 1924
We don't know what our system can handle. Can someone explain what we can and can't do? We have 4 solar panels, a 1500 watt inverter and something called Energenius that's supposed to automatically switch to the best system. We know we can use the microwave with no problem but that's about all we know. If we boondock, how long can we watch TV without running down the batteries? This really shows our ignorance but we don't know how long the charge from the solar panels will hold.
Has anyone used a system like ours? If somebody's kind enough to explain this, pretend you're talking to a 5 year old. I plan on using a laptop. Do I have to do anything other than plug it in to the outlet? I know that if the sun shines we're OK but at night we still only have 2 normal coach batteries. Do we just have more short term power than other RV's? Be gentle with my ignorance!

Karen

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1927
Karen, some more information is needed. First, how many house batteries do you have, and what type? Are they the standard 6V batteries? Second, what type and size solar panels do you have? If you don't know the ratings, post the outside dimensions here faily accurately. Third, I don't know what your 'Energenius' is, but from your description I suspect it monitors the AC voltage and switches in either the generator or inverter if you are not hooked up.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1928
Karen, some more information is needed. First, how many house batteries do you have, and what type? Are they the standard 6V batteries? Second, what type and size solar panels do you have? If you don't know the ratings, post the outside dimensions here faily accurately. Third, I don't know what your 'Energenius' is, but from your description I suspect it monitors the AC voltage and switches in either the generator or inverter if you are not hooked up.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1929
Steve, We have 2 standard 6volt batteries.I measured the panels, each is 13" by 52". The system was installed by Specialty Concepts Inc. in Canoga Park Ca..
It's the Mark III. If we're reading this right the standard package is 2 panels with each rated at 22 volts and 14 amps. We have 4 panels. It has a regulator to prevent overcharging and a blocking diode to prevent nightime loss. It seems like overkill. The questions started when we went to buy a TV. Is there any reason to buy ac/dc? Can we use TV & laptop at the same time? Kaen

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 1932
Karen, based on 14% efficiency - typical for polycrystalline PV panels, yours are about 55 Watts each. They are probably 16 or 17 volts each, so about 3.2 to 3.4 Amps each. With four, your total maximum recharging output would be about 13.5 Amps. In real life, mounted flat on the roof, you could expect about 50% to 75% of that on sunny days, with full exposure (no shading at all), depending on season. There will be almost no output on cloudy or overcast days.

Your battery bank should have a capacity, if they are in good shape, of about 210 to 220 Amp-hours.
Beyond this, everything gets pretty variable. I have to run (to go camping!), but I'll get back with more info if you wish.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 1933
Karen, based on 14% efficiency - typical for polycrystalline PV panels, yours are about 55 Watts each. They are probably 16 or 17 volts each, so about 3.2 to 3.4 Amps each. With four, your total maximum recharging output would be about 13.5 Amps. In real life, mounted flat on the roof, you could expect about 50% to 75% of that on sunny days, with full exposure (no shading at all), depending on season. There will be almost no output on cloudy or overcast days.

Your battery bank should have a capacity, if they are in good shape, of about 210 to 220 Amp-hours.
Beyond this, everything gets pretty variable. I have to run (to go camping!), but I'll get back with more info if you wish.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 1934

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 1935
Karen..You have a good potential system if everything is working OK . With 4 panels, you can dry camp for a long time without charging the battery BUT this still requires carefull use of power. The battery can be exhausted if you are carefree with the power consumption. The 1500 watt comverter used some power whenever it's on so turn it off when it isn't powering something. And learn to do without the microwave( it uses a LOT of power) or do what I did and remove it and have a lot more storage in the kitchen. Get a AC/DC television and a 12 volt adaptor for your laptop. Do not power either of these off the big inverter. Anytime you can power something off 12 volt DC power instead of using a inverter it will be much more efficient. You might try to have someone test everything and show you how it works. Some RV stores could do it or you could try a solar energy business or a marine electrical installation or repairbusiness.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 1936
Karen..You have a good potential system if everything is working OK . With 4 panels, you can dry camp for a long time without charging the battery BUT this still requires carefull use of power. The battery can be exhausted if you are carefree with the power consumption. The 1500 watt comverter used some power whenever it's on so turn it off when it isn't powering something. And learn to do without the microwave( it uses a LOT of power) or do what I did and remove it and have a lot more storage in the kitchen. Get a AC/DC television and a 12 volt adaptor for your laptop. Do not power either of these off the big inverter. Anytime you can power something off 12 volt DC power instead of using a inverter it will be much more efficient. You might try to have someone test everything and show you how it works. Some RV stores could do it or you could try a solar energy business or a marine electrical installation or repairbusiness.
Larry

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 1937
Karen: go to this website, scroll way down to # 11.
[url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.mv.com/users/tetrault/Rv-tec.htm Also go to
 [url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html and see # 8. Now you have more resources than you ever wanted.
Sarah, in Seattle with your Lattes waiting for your arrival.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 1938
Karen: go to this website, scroll way down to # 11.
[url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.mv.com/users/tetrault/Rv-tec.htm Also go to
 [url=http://www.lazydazeowners.com/[url=http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html and see # 8. Now you have more resources than you ever wanted.
Sarah, in Seattle with your Lattes waiting for your arrival.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 1939
Gotta try Latte! OK, we've been reading all night. We don't have just an inverter. The Energenius is the inverter plus a lot more. We still don't quite understand it but.... it also charges the batteries with one trickle charge and one fast charge. It prevents the batteries from running too low with a warning and a cutoff if you let it get too low. It's sort of a fail safe combining all the power. It's wired into the solar, generator, batteries and all outlets. It has it's own breaker box. It's all computer operated. Even a dummy like me can't mess it up. We have a gauge telling us how many volts we're using and the level of the batteries. I'll be an electrician when I finish reading all of the manuals. Now we still have to get the furnace to work. Hubby will do that tomorrow. Should we still buy an AC/DC TV? One of our trips will be to the Ca. company that installed this. Getting someone to show us how to use this was a great idea. thanks.

Karen

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 1955
Go with the AC/DC TV. It will use much less power. The TV always runs on DC. When you operate a TV on AC, the TV converts the AC to DC . When you run an AC TV in your motorhome, the battery voltage is converted to AC in the inverter. The TV changes the AC back to DC. The AC/DC TV needs no conversion. Every conversion requires energy to occur. There is less drain on the battery when using a AC/DC TV.
Larry

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 1959
Should we still buy >an AC/DC TV?

One of our trips will be to the Ca.
company that installed this. Getting someone to >show us how to use this was a great idea. thanks.
Karen

I have an AC/DC 6" color LCD screen with a VCR in the back that only uses 18 watts. It is about the size of a child's lunchbox. We only use the TV to catch the news/weather mostly. Probably too small for most folks but sure easy on the battery. I have seen larger LCD TVs but more $$$ than I wanted to spend.