Skip to main content
Topic: LD Quality (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
LD Quality
Yahoo Message Number: 1873
Here is a question for those of you that have owned more than one LD. Do you think the "build" quality has improved in the newer units. Would you expect the newer models would deteriorate slower or faster than the older models. I know the newer models have technological improvements but I'm interested in how much care is used in the construction.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

LD Quality
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1879
I owned an '85 22' twin/king I bought in '96 with 35,000 miles on it, and I now have a 2000 26.5 Mid Bath.

The new Ford engine/chassis is much more suited for the weight of these. They handle fantastic and have the needed power. The older chevy versions are a bit "heavier feeling". The coach portion sees many improvements over the years...many ideas from customers...and they continue to improve their quality control as they have learned over the years, too.

The bonus with LD is that the same family has owned this company all along. Go take the company tour, get their video...and keep asking questions here...most of us here are just plain 'ol satisfied customers...others here are lookin' to be customers.

If you take a company tour, see if they are repairing a wrecked motorhome.
They get ones that have been hit by trucks, rolled into ditches, etc. Sometimes they can fix them, sometimes not...but, see how intact these coaches stay.

Rob 2000 26.5 MB

LD Quality
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1883
I worked for an RV dealer just to find out more about them. The best ones in for repair used 2x4's in the constuction. The shoddy workmanship was unbelievable. Most were fiberglass damaged from leaky windows.
When the fiberglass panel was removed the wood was usually rotted through too. The few damaged from accidents were crumbled like a pile of toothpicks. We had given up on a purchase until we discovered LD. The technicians used to get a good laugh out of some of the problems. Until you see the construction of the average motorhome you'll never know how much better the LD is. We never had a Born Free in for repair.

LD Quality
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 1885
Not in for body work. We did have a Dutch Star in our rental fleet. Never had problems with it but I have no idea what the coach frame looked like inside.
I don't want to be too negative here. One of the interesting problems was trying to fill the gas tank on some class A's. We couldn't fill them above 2/3 because they weren't lined up properly with the gas tank. The customers were told that they must have air in the line.
The only solution would have been to reposition the filler pipe and gas cap. They all seemed to develop leaks after 2 or 3 years. Rubber roofs :-). They used a lot of caulk on windows etc., under warranty. Maybe I just expected too much.