Skip to main content
Topic: Awning on LD (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Awning on LD
Yahoo Message Number: 1870
The awning arms look fragile as compared to other Rvs.  Has anyone had a problem with them bending or breaking?
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Awning on LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1878
No problems, however, as with ANY awning...stow it when the wind kicks up. I have seen way too many awnings of all kinds get torn off the MHome in windy conditions...no matter how heavy duty it looks.
Never leave your awning out while away from your campsite, unless you know wind is not a factor.

Rob

Awning on LD
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1880
Rob: Boy, I'll second that motion about never leaving your awning down while away. I even lost one while I was with the coach. This was a few years back and we had a Winnebago Vectra and we were camped in an open field near the in-laws farm house here in Holland, MI. I heard the wind start to build as part of a summer rain squall. I went outside to put it up but I wasn't fast enough. The wind caught it in an updraft, took it right off the coach and sent it skyward and then dropped it on the roof, cracking the roof. We were able to salvage most of the awning, but had to replace 1 strut and of course have the roof patched.
Total cost was about $400 for just a moments inattention to a developing storm. Live and learn, I guess.

Regards.

Pat Nowak

Awning on LD
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1881
...yep, everyone needs to lose at least one awning and see many others lose theirs before they realize that...unless you're sitting under it, roll the awning back!

We have some friends with a Monaco Class A who installed an automatically retracting awning. When the wind reaches 15 mph or so, the awning automatically retracts. It hasn't failed yet in some extremme conditions. At Lake Powell, we all know to put the awnings away at around 2pm, whether we are sitting under them or not. The experiences we have had with sudden 60 mph+ winds can be devastating for tenters, EZ-ups, and such not prepared! I have some pretty telling video from the past few years.

Rob