Skip to main content
Topic: We picked up our Lazy Daze (26.5 RB) (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
We picked up our Lazy Daze (26.5 RB)
Yahoo Message Number: 20381
This is a little late but there may be some trivial snippets of info here that could be of some use to someone.

We flew into LAX on Feb 17 with cheap tickets, rented a car returnable to Ontario, & stayed at the Best Western at Ontario airport ($59 a night) for two nights. Early Feb 18 we went to LD to see what they had in their store and then set off for Camping World and Walmart (about 20 miles away).  In those three places we spent just over $1,000 which with the 5 boxes of stuff (bedding and kitchen implements) gave us everything we needed.

The next day, Feb 19 was our pick up day. We had two lists, one for shopping, the other reminding us of things to check.  Vince did a great job in 3 hours.  Our driver, Colin drove to Ehrenberg in 3 hours also (198 miles). The notary was $25.

The first night we stayed at a full service place (River Breeze, Ehrenberg - $28)so that we could check all the gear.  We weighed the truck, 12,100 lbs so we let some air out of the tires.  We had purchased the valve extenders from LD ($67) but have not put them on yet. Checking and filling tires is quite easy without them if you have a double foot gauge (about $10 from Walmart).  You just have to take the rear wheel covers off, a simple task.  From there we continued with various detours to sightsee and visit friends, taking 24 days to reach Cincinnati, a distance of 4,800 miles.  A crow flying and not stopping to smell roses would take about half that.
 We used gasoline at the rate of about 9.5 mpg, had some difficulty in finding someone to change the oil (I think I'll do it myself from now on) and spent an average of $17.45 a night on campsites (15 private, 8 state/national parks).  At San Antonio and New Orleans we stayed at campsites on the fringe of the city and took city buses into town.
The cheapest was free (Natchez Trace - Jeff Busby), the most expensive $30.95- New Orleans KOA, quite nice.  All of the campsites were OK and we had no really bad ones.

After a few days we noticed a couple of items which were missed at the check out.  The roller blind on the door was not cut straight, there is a gap in the wall covering in the bathroom and some of the drape tie backs could have been sewn more neatly.  But hey, this is a labor intensive product built in small quantities by a family business.  No Japanese robots here.  Some quirks are acceptable.

In Albuquerque temperatures dropped down to around 30.  We didn't venture to go into Santa Fe with the LD as it was 19 degrees there.
I called Steve Newton.  He was very patient and polite with this rookie and suggested stuffing a sponge or other insulating material into the space between the gray/black tank gate and the outside cap to buy a degree or two in preventing the gate from freezing.
 We met three other lazydazers all in National Parks but none of them were familiar this web site.

We learned a couple of things in our first 24 days:
1. Texas is a big state.
2. Wash the bugs off the front cabover frequently.
3. We love our LD.

I've tried to sqeeze a lot in a small space.  If anyone still waiting for their LD and has questions, let us know.

Brenda and John

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] We picked up our Lazy Daze (26.5 RB)
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 20386
Hi Brenda & John,
 I'll safely stay out of the "mileage" issue and simply ask you guys: What items did you purchase from LD?  Just curious what you thought were good buys there.  We're visiting there tomorrow and may make a few purchases--just not sure what.  I'm going armed with my lists and other suggestions from other posts I've seen but would sure appreciate any extra suggestions you can give us.  Never having RV'd before makes it more difficult I think.  I don't want to buy things I will never use and really don't need.

Your information was very helpful!  Thanks for taking the time to summarize your experience.

Thank you, Gonna-be's (is that what we're called?) Patti and Richard Wright 26'RB
 "This is a little late but there may be some trivial snippets of info here that could be of some use to someone."

Re: We picked up our Lazy Daze (26.5 RB)
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 20387
Congrats! Based on your experience, do you wish you had gotten the option of exterior gray/black tank insulation? Necessary? - David

Re: We picked up our Lazy Daze (26.5 RB)
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 20395
Congrats! Based on your experience, do you wish you had gotten the
option of exterior gray/black tank insulation? Necessary?

- David in Los Angeles (expecting in Oct/Nov)

We did get the gray/black tank insulation.  There has been quite a
lot of discussion on this subject on this list.  I mentioned to Steve Newton that there was no insulation on the top of the tank but he considered that to be a minor detail and that any freezing would take place at the gate valves.

FYI, other extras we got were:

Outside shower Billstein shocks CB Solar panel (1) 15,000  btu a/c GPS antenna hookup.

John and Brenda

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 20396
Hi Brenda & John,
 I'll safely stay out of the "mileage" issue and simply ask you guys: What items did you purchase from LD?  Just curious what you thought were good buys there.  We're visiting there tomorrow and may make a few purchases--just not sure what
We bought:

Fabric guard 6 ton Jack 90 degree hose saver (don't use it) AquaZyme Cord adaptor (30amp to 20) Digital refrigerator thermometer (very useful) Valve stem extensions (not on yet) Fresh water tank quick fill (not really necessary) Level plastic blocks.  These are the orange ones (the thinnest part is about 2" thick and there were some instances where we only needed 1")  The thinner yellow square blocks sold in Camping World might be better, but most people just use pieces of wood) Piezo lighter (haven't used) Stick on levels (a must) Wide angle rear window lens. (useful) Sealant Taste free hose ( a must)

One thing we didn't buy and perhaps should have were the insulative covers.  The metal frame of the escape hatch in the cabover becomes the coldest part and condensation drips on any occupants of that bed (refreshing to say the least).

Enjoy your trip.

Brenda and John

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 20397
Thanks so much for this invaluable list!  I feel fairly ignorant about so much of the RV'g world but this great group is really helping educate me.

Thanks for your time in putting together all this information.

Patti

What items did you purchase from LD?  Just curious what you thought
were good buys there.

We bought:

Fabric guard 6 ton Jack 90 degree hose saver (don't use it) AquaZyme Cord adaptor (30amp to 20) Digital refrigerator thermometer (very useful) Valve stem extensions (not on yet) Fresh water tank quick fill (not really necessary) Level plastic blocks.  These are the orange ones (the thinnest part is about 2" thick and there were some instances where we only needed 1")  The thinner yellow square blocks sold in Camping World might be better, but most people just use pieces of wood) Piezo lighter (haven't used) Stick on levels (a must) Wide angle rear window lens. (useful) Sealant Taste free hose ( a must)

One thing we didn't buy and perhaps should have were the insulative covers.  The metal frame of the escape hatch in the cabover becomes the coldest part and condensation drips on any occupants of that bed (refreshing to say the least).

Enjoy your trip.

Brenda and John

">lifewithalazydazerv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your