Skip to main content
Topic: Help on Michelin selection? (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Help on Michelin selection?
Yahoo Message Number: 20286
I'm replacing my tires on the 450 chassis (Firestone Steeltexs).  I'm told by several reputable manufacturers (including Lazy Daze and Born Free)that they are currently using the Michelin LTXs.  When I called Michelin for their recommendation the rep pushed the XPS-RIB, as do some users on this web site. I'm concerned the steel in the side makes for a more harsh ride, and may be overkill from a need standpoint for me. According to the Michelin web site the ride on the LTX is rated an 8 or 9 and the XPS is a 5. Load ratings are materially the same.  My vehicle gross weight loaded is about 12,300# (GVWR 14,050#), so my ride is firm as it is now, and unless necessary for safety I would prefer not to make it more harsh. I would like to use the LTXs unless it is an undue risk. Highway max speeds can be 70ish. I've never towed, and if I do it would not be a constant situation.  Anyone with some info that may help me.
Thanks Brent

Re: Help on Michelin selection?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 20314
Brent,

I understand your concerns.  Remember, LD or BF have no choice what tires show up on the chassis, that's determined by Ford.  So, I wouldn't use that as a guide for the best tire.  I have XPS Ribs right now and don't have anything else to compare it to, as far ride.  One of the benifits of the the stiffer side wall is better handling.  Your rig may steer a lot better with them.  One thing you should consider is tread depth and pattern.  If the depth is to great or the tread pattern in to spaced out, you LD will wonder on the road.  Not a good thing.  Look at a picture of the tread pattern on the LTX http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp? tirebrand=Michelin&tiremodel=LTX%AE+M%2FS and compare that with the Bridgestone M773 http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp? tirebrand=Bridgestone&tiremodel=M773+SWP+II, they are similar.  A Bridgestone engineer told me the M773 would not be very good for my LD because of handling problems.  If you are not completely sold on getting Michelin's, I would consider the Bridgestone R265 or R273 SWP II.  I plan on replacing my XPS's with the R265 in the next month or so.
Having said all that, any tire with the proper rating will be safe.
But a rig that handles better, is safer IMO.

Good luck,

-Victor

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 20315
II.  I plan on replacing my XPS's with the R265 in the next month
or > so.

Having said all that, any tire with the proper rating will be
safe.

But a rig that handles better, is safer IMO.
Victor, Thanks for the response and help. I'm curious, why are you going from the steel side wall to a tire without the steel side wall? Brent

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 20316
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, aspivens2001

Victor, Thanks for the response and help. I'm curious, why are you going from the steel side wall to a tire without the steel side wall? Brent
Good question.  I originally planed on getting another set of XPS tires.  But then I started thinking about how those tires aren't really ideal for wet or light snow roads.  I wanted a tire I could feel more confident in wet conditions.  When I started looking at my options, I couldn't find a steel sidewall tire that was also an all- season type of tire or maybe what I did find was outrageuosly expensive or not available in my size.  Can't remember right now.
Mike (richmondmj829) originally told me about the R265.  I started looking into these a bit more.  A lot of fleet type delivery trucks use this tire, UPS trucks, etc.  The price on these tires is also a lot less.  With all the reading I have done and talks I've had with Bridgestone, I feel this tire is going to work very well.  The R273 SWP II is a replacement tire for the R265.  The SWP stands for "side wall protection".  This is one of the biggest differences between the 2 tires.
My only concern with going with these tires is how the steering will be.  I hope it tracks as well.  We'll see.

-Victor

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 20324
Steve, You can't always trust reviews on sites like 1010tires and other similar sites. A lot depends on the people doing the review and what they like or don't like. What they like or don't like may not be what you like or don't like. As Victor pointed out any commercial trucks use the R265 and everyone I've spoken with that has them on their truck or motorhome seems to be very pleased with them. I haven't heard of any complaints from people that switched to them from other brands. Victor did speak directly with Bridgestone engineers and they told him for his use the R265 would be best.
 I agree the Michelin LTX wouldn't be the best tire for motorhome use but it can be used safely. Many people put them on their motorhomes and heavier duty pick-ups that carry a lot of weight and love them.
On both vehicle types I've heard some that don't like the XPS Rib tires but do like the LTX. Comes down to a personal preference and is dependent on the type of driving they will be doing most. The XPS Rib is a commercial grade tire like the Bridgestone R265 and its successors.

Mike

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 20327
Brent,
 Many RV technical writers also like to recommend steel sidewall tires for motorhome use but they absolutely required or needed. The Michelin tires typically have softer and thinner sidewalls than many other brands of tire and steel sidewalls in them especially for motorhome use is more important due to that. The XPS Rib is a commercial grade tire and the LTX is not. Is is meant more for a passenger vehicle. Bridgestone commercial grade tires and standard grade ones have much thicker and stronger sidewalls than Michelin and don't really need the steel in them to give them additional strength.
Both Michelin and Bridgestone are excellent tires but Bridgestone's cost less and for the amount of miles you'll likely put on your motorhome before they need to be replaced for age reasons they could be a better choice. You'll be able to mount and balance them and can often still save over the price of the Michelin tires alone.
 If you're one of those that wants to boycott French companies due to their position on the Iraqi situation then you won't want to buy Michelin tires. Personally I think that is ridiculous and it hurts more Americans by boycotting French companies and goods than it does the French. I also feel they are entitled to their point of view of the best method of handling it but don't want to get into the politics of that unfortunate situation on this or any other RV forum.
I just thought I'd mention that they are a French company if you happen to feel differently.
 One last thing, when you drive at "70ish" make sure you increase the tire pressure that is required for the load by 10psi as stated in the tire manual for non-speed rated LT tires. If over 75 mph to 85 mph increase the pressure by 10psi and decrease the load carrying capacity of the tire by 10%. Most light truck (LT) tires are NOT speed rated and should never be used above 85 mph. Driving at a slower speed will only take a little more time to get to your destination and will save considerably on fuel costs especially at today's prices. Although the wind resistance increases with the square of speed the amount of energy needed to overcome that increases with the cube of it! When driving on the highway at highway speeds wind resistance is the biggest factor in fuel economy. Driving between 45-55 mph results in the best fuel economy and over 60 mph it starts to drop real fast.

Mike

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 20329
--- Good Tire Info from all, thanks---
 I talked to the local truck tire shop that sold me my Michelins on an earlier rig.  They did a good job of:
1) Saying stay with the Firestone Steeltex (4 yrs old, no visible  weakness, 12,500 miles) for another 1-2 years.
2) If I insist on making a change - strongly consider the Bridgestone
 265s.

Maybe I'll just hold off making a change for a while, then look at the 265s. My main concerns are safety, ride and noise. If its wet or rough, I'll slow it down or just park and watch the rain.

Brent

Gas mileage - was Help on Michelin selection?
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 20375
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Barnes" :

23.5   55   11.1   10.6 23.5   60   10.5   9.7 23.5   65   10.4   9.4 23.5   70   9.8   9.0 Based on the data from the `Gas Mileage Survey' database.
Wow, my gas mileage is no where close to that, what am I doing wrong? I average 55 -60 mph, and the best I have ever gotten was 9 mpg.
Average is a little under 8 mpg. On one tank I only got 6.5.  The tire pressure is correct, and fluids have been changed.  One question I do have that might affect mileage, is how long should you let the engine warm up before driving, and how long should you let it idle before shutting it off.  I have a 1992 23.5.  I have heard that with these Fords you never want to turn the engine right off after a long trip.

Laurie
Laurie - 2018 RB

Help on Michelin selection?
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 20321
Steve,

Neither of those 2 (R265 & R273) tires have the steel sidewall.  A Bridgestone engineer told me for my requirements, the R265 would be a better fit.  They handle wet roads better than the R273.  He also said if I was driving a delivery truck, the R273 would be better because of the stronger side wall, being that delivery trucks hit a lot of curbs.
The reviews on most sites aren't very good mainly because the people who review them are not using them for RV applications.
Makes sense to me to use the tires you mentioned in this area.  I'm most concerned with encountering a light snow in the middle of summer up in the high country or even a heavy rain anywhere.  I couldn't imagine trying that with the XPS.
 SOB?  I know one meaning for that, but I don't think that's what you are saying.  My mind must not be working to good right now.

-Victor

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Help on Michelin selection?
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 20323
   SOB?  I know one meaning for that, but I don't think that's what you are saying.  My mind must not be working to good right now.
SOB also stands for "Some Other Brand".

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 20369
I don't know.  It might have to do with the driving habits of the two classes of drivers?  The 26.5' 'hot rodders' may put the pedal to the metal and dig out from stop signs more often than the more sedate 30'ers?

Barry 26.5' Hot Rod (Red)

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 20413
Chuck,
 I added a record for you.  I assumed it was a 1997 with no Toad.  OK?

Note that while I'm happy to help, anyone can add their own record.

There does seem to be a problem when you try to edit a record

Problems with Yahoo Data Bases
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 20415
Oops, Sorry, I forgot to trim the original message on my last post, which I encourage everyone to do, as has been mentioned by several persons.

I searched for a place to lodge a complaint to Yahoo about problems with editing records in the databases.  We used to be able to send problem reports in the earlier 'Club' format, but I can't find it now in the 'Group'.  If anyone knows where to send them a problem-report email, let us know.

Barry 26.5 RB Texas