Skip to main content
Topic: Antenna installations (Read 114 times) previous topic - next topic
Antenna installations
Yahoo Message Number: 20171
This weekend I installed a CB antenna and a 2-meter Ham radio antenna on our new LD. When we ordered, Steve would not install the 2-meter antenna or even the coax.
Not wanting to run the coax all the way back to the refrigerator vent, I had to find another way to bring the coax through the roof without jeopardizing the warranty or causing leaks. I ended up using a pair of `Thru-Deck Cable Seals' from West Marine.

See   http://www.westmarine.com, PN 117283

The seals are mounted on the escape hatch flange and the coax runs down into the interior. They then enter a piece of surface mounted electrical channel where they end up in the Lounge area by the front barrel chair.

See  http://photos.yahoo.com/lw5315us, go to ` Antennas and radios" Or
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lw5315us/lst?.dir=/Antennas+and+radios&.src =ph&.view=t
 The seals fit a wide range of wire sizes. They are installed with 6- 32 screws and sealed with polyurethane, for a long life. It's not perfect but better than having fifty feet of coax wire running through the refrigerator or holding tank vents.

I also installed a Cobra 75 WX ST All-in-handset Mobile CB and weather channel radio. CW had them on sale last month for $49.

The power and antenna for a 2-meter handheld transceiver were also installed.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Antenna installations
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 20176
Larry,

Thank you for that excellent explanation.  As I've said here, I still haven't gotten several of my antennas permanently installed.
I have saved your post and I've been studying your pictures.

I'm kind of hoping to find someone at the Escapade to do this install, I'm not really confident that Mimi or I can do it.
 I do have a question.  I used the stick up cable hiding channel when I put up 4 speakers in the coach.  Once it got hot, the channels started coming down off the ceiling.  I had cleaned the area with alcohol prior to sticking it up.  I tried re-sticking it several times but in the heat it always came back down.  I finally took it down and I'm not real happy with the resultant look.  What did I do wrong?  I saw a screw on the channel you used, should I forget the glue on type and find ones that use screws?  Is there a better way to stick it on?  Anyway, I really appreciate your informative posts and pictures.

Thanks,

Jonna

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 20185
"I see from reading here that LD isn't willing to install a lot of antennas when building the coach. The opening with a cap sounds like a great idea, you never know what you will want to hook up in a year or so."

Joanna

Steve does not want the extra work or more chances of leakage.
He did not offer me the vent cap option and I was too stupid to ask.
It seems that almost everyone wants to add extra antennas today for a multitude of reasons.

If you have further questions on how I ran the coax, just ask.
 "I do have a question. I used the stick up cable hiding channel when I put up 4 speakers in the coach. Once it got hot, the channels started coming down off the ceiling."

I have not been through the summer yet so time will tell.
When the channel is opened up, it should be possible to install small sheet metal screws, through the channel, into the paneling.
When the channel is closed, the screws will cover.
You might want to try this.

Larry
Larry

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 20333
This weekend I installed a CB antenna and a 2-meter Ham radio antenna on our new LD.
Larry, What kind of coax did you use?, looking at the pictures, they look thicker than rg59. And both antennas looks like it was attached to the side of the solar panel or is it on the roof using the bolt of SP?.How far apart can you put these antennas to avoid intermodulation. I'd like to attach GPS, cellular and satellite antennas in the future.
And the last picture, what's the Cb junction box for? Thanks, it looks neat.

Edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 20334
"What kind of coax did you use?, looking at the pictures, they look thicker than rg59. And both antennas looks like it was attached to he side of the solar panel or is it on the roof using the bolt of SP?.How far apart can you put these antennas to avoid intermodulation. I'd like to attach GPS, cellular and satellite antennas in the future.
And the last picture, what's the CB junction box for?"

The CB uses RG 58 and the 2-meter uses RG 8. RG 59 is normally used for TV antennas
 The L-brackets are attached to the frame of the solar panel. The long side of the panels is a stiff piece of extruded aluminum and does not deflect when the antennas are bent all the way over. I spread them apart as far as possible. Mounted this way, no new holes are made in the roof.
I'm not really concerned about intermodulation since both radios will probably never be used at the same time.

The CB junction box contains the antenna and 12VDC power input and the five-pin cable to the combination radio/microphone. All of the electronics are in the microphone.

Edd    P.S. are you going to the beach this weekend
Larry

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 20362
Larry,

The L-brackets are attached to the frame of the solar panel.
Are you going to hit anything when you drill a hole to the frame of solar panel? Do you get power for your 2 meter from the same cb junction box?

Edd    P.S. are you going to the beach this weekend.
That would be nice, unfortunately we're not included with the Cesar Chavez holiday. It's off to work for us... What about you are you going to the beach this weekend? where? I'll make a day trip to see the California poppies this sunday. Also I'll attend the 2003 spring escapade in Lancaster(sunday and monday, my days off). So I'll be eyeballing with fellow LD owners, and learn stuff about rv'ing.

Edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 20535
"Larry, The L-brackets are attached to the frame of the solar panel.
Are you going to hit anything when you drill a hole to the frame of solar panel? Do you get power for your 2 meter from the same CB junction box?"

edd

I removed (unscrewed)the short side of the solar panel frame. I was then able to see where I could safely drill the holes without hitting the glass panel.
 I installed a double 12VDC power plug than can be used for the CB, 2- meter radio and anything else that uses 12VDC.

Larry
Larry

Reply #7
Larry W
I want to add a 12 volt outlet to the bunk on the refer wall of my '88 MB.  I was planning on running the wires into refer compartment down to through the refer floor to the fuse box.

Any idea where the Radio and CB coax cables run?
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath