Skip to main content
Topic: the regular TV antenna (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
the regular TV antenna
Yahoo Message Number: 20154
We elected to not get the inverter or satellite.   At home we have cable TV so I understand we would need a new monthly service to get satellite TV.    So my question is:  What kind of reception do people get with the provided TV antenna??? And is there any reason to have the inverter put in if we don't get the satellite now???The list of additions to the order just keeps growing.  Ted,   I added our info to the delivery date database.  Thanks for the reminder.
Kate #7966 26.5 MB sometime in Sept.

Re: the regular TV antenna
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 20156
We elected to not get the inverter or satellite.  At home we have cable TV so I understand we would need a new monthly service to get satellite TV.    So my question is:  What kind of reception do people get with the provided TV antenna??? And is there any reason to have the inverter put in if we don't get the satellite now???The list of additions to the order just keeps growing.  Ted,  I added our info to the delivery date database.  Thanks for the reminder.
If you are in or near a major city, you can usually pull in one or two channels clearly using the Winegard "batwing" antenna.  However most of the places we go (more remote) it won't receive anything.
Meanwhile those with satellite dishes can usually get all the channels they want.  Sometimes they have to move the rig because of trees (or give up on TV).  Some people like to have a portable dish on a tripod with a long cable so they can move the dish rather than the rig.

Large inverters will drain the standard batteries fairly quickly if not used very carefully.  We have a couple of small inverters with cigarette lighter cords.  We use these for a few small devices with only 110VAC operation.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Portable Inverters
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 20188
FYI-- Kragen Auto's advertising supplement in Northern Calif Sunday papers this weekend features Coleman Powermate  Portable Inverters.  The 400 watt unit looks just like the Prowatt model I'm familiar with and is priced at $29.99.  Also listed, with no photo, 200 watt for $24.99 and $800 watt for 59.99.
 I think I'd be leery of plugging the 800 watt into a cigarette lighter socket, but connected directly to the battery it would probably be okay,.

Also, 2000 watt inverters have dropped drastically in price recently.  I think I've seen them advertised for well under $1000.
BUT, as Andy has pointed out, a large inverter powering something like the microwave can suck all the juice from the standard batteries in no time.

Hope this helps   /noel/