Skip to main content
Topic: TOWING /W CHEVY 350, MINORITY OPINION (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
TOWING /W CHEVY 350, MINORITY OPINION
Yahoo Message Number: 19887
I have a 1987 23' LD and have a slightly different opinion/experience from Andy. I tow a Saturn (don't remember the weight) but it's under the limit stated in the LD manual.
 Before I had the toad, I really didn't have much problem going over high mountain passes - could usually continue to pass the laboring 18-wheelers.
(I lived in Washington State at the time and traveled over the Cascade Mountain Range a lot and down through Oregon and California - some pretty steep passes.)
 Now with the toad, everything's just the same except that I pass fewer 18-wheelers when going over the mountains. I did have a transmission cooler added, at the recommendation of someone who also has an older Chevy and has been towing for years. Like Andy, if it's steep enough, it slows down below 45 - sometimes to 35mph. I just use lower gears and enjoy the scenery, and listen to some beautiful music - or talk to a friend on the CB, if I'm lucky enough to be traveling with someone.
 Now for a great confession. I even (accidentally) pulled the toad at an altitude of over 6,000' with the emergency brake on in the toad! (Blush) From Bandelier National Monument to Los Alamos, NM. For those of you who have not been there, it is a long, steep drive in Northern New Mexico. Only one other person on earth has known about this gaff, and has been an absolute gentleman for not having told. [ Thanks, my friend  ~(;-) ]
 So, there are two different opinions - don't you just love it when there's no clear-cut answer?

Sarah, in the Arizona Desert

Re: TOWING /W CHEVY 350, MINORITY OPINION
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19895
18-wheelers when going over the mountains. I did have a
transmission cooler

added, at the recommendation of someone who also has an older Chevy
and has

been towing for years. Like Andy, if it's steep enough, it slows
Sarah, I'm puzzled. My '83 already has an auxiliary transmission cooler - from the factory. Your '89 did not?

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19924
Steve, and all,

My '86 had a transmission cooler in the lower tank of the radiator, but no auxilliary cooler.  I added one later.

bob phillips

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19929
Steve, and all,

My '86 had a transmission cooler in the lower tank of the radiator, but no auxilliary cooler.  I added one later.

bob phillips
Interesting! Our '83 had aftermarket dash air - how they came from LD then - and I discovered later that the condenser unit included the auxiliary trans cooler. I felt a bit foolish because I had just purchased one and was tracing the lines and looking for a good location when I found it. I had assumed that when later models came with factory air, LD had just installed the aftermarket tranny cooler in another way. Strange they decided to drop the feature.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: TOWING /W CHEVY 350, MINORITY OP
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19957
Steve wrote: (snip) - - - My '83 already has an auxiliary transmission cooler - from the factory. Your '89 did not?
 Well Steve, the guys at Rose Auto put a transmission cooler on a couple of months ago; I saw it, and I hadn't previously seen  anything else under there before that looked like that. However, you might have noticed that I'm not at the top of the list when it comes to things under the engine, so I hope I wasn't duped. (My Lazy Daze is a '87, not a '89 - don't know if that would make a difference, or not.)
 Sarah and Mz. Daisy, north of Lake Havasu, AZ, tucked back in a canyon on BLM ~^_^~

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: TOWING /W CHEVY 350, MINORITY OPINION
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 20041
(My Lazy Daze is a '87, not a '89 - don't know if that

would make a difference, or not.)

Sarah and Mz. Daisy, north of Lake Havasu, AZ, tucked back in a
canyon on

BLM ~^_^~
============================================================== Ok, thanks a lot Sarah. Ever since you sent this message I have been at work day dreaming about just where you are parked and how nice it must be and all that.  And wishing I could just bust out and leave work and do something like that right now........

Dave  (:>)
2004 PleasureWay TD