Skip to main content
Topic: Toad Selection (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Toad Selection
Yahoo Message Number: 19800
Someone mentioned a web site which listed cars which were good to tow, and not good to tow.  Why is the Saturn so popular for a toad? I tried to find this info.on the messages, but Yahoo was not cooperating, and I did not see as far as I could go.  Did someone say the Honda CRV was a good pick???  Thanks Sharon

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Toad Selection
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19801
Sharon,
 I was the one who asked the question and someone responded to check out the Dinghy Tow Guide published by MotorHome.  The website is:
www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/index.cfm.  I've had 2 people report that the Honda CRV is a good choice.  It doesn't add miles to the odometer if it is set up properly, i.e., have the ignition set to 'accessory.'  I was told that the Saturn doesn't record mileage either but you have to make sure it is in neutral and it has to be a manual transmission.  The Guide indicates the Saturn can be manual or automatic.  As far as the CRV goes, it states that you can have either a manual transmission or an automatic.  The automatic has additional requirements:  V-6 engine, 200 mile limit; 4 cylinder, 500 mile limit.
Indicates you must start the engine to recirculate transmission fluids when these limits are reached.

Hope that helps.

Patti

Re: Toad Selection
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19804
"Why is the Saturn so popular for a toad? "

Sharon

Most automatic transmissions cannot be towed without adding an electric pump( Remco) or a driveshaft disconnect.
Saturns (and Honda) automatic transmissions are towable without special modifications and most models are lightweight. These are two traits that make them good toads.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Toad Selection
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19814
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 10:09 PM
 Subject: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Toad Selection

I guess the next biggest consideration is the weight of the vehicle, and of course the safety record, and reliability.  since we will buy a toad, but it will also be a "going to work" car. I believe the tow max is 4500 for LD 26.5.  How much difference would  500 lbs less make? Say a 4000 toad?  I really like the Honda product, we have had great luck with Honda.

">lifewithalazydazerv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Toad Selection
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19819
Sharon

If you have a 26.5 with the V-10 or 460 V-8, towing a 4000 Lb car should be OK. The newer LD's hitches are rated for 4000 LB, if using the receiver. Hondas are good tow vehicles and do not require modifications other than towing lights and baseplates. Only the bigger SUVs(Pilot/MDX) made by Honda will exceed the weight limit.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze