Skip to main content
Topic: Quality Mechanic near Hemet CA. (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Quality Mechanic near Hemet CA.
Yahoo Message Number: 19794
After months of searching, I am now the proud owner of a low mileage 1995 22 foot twin king with Chevy 454.

I'm very excited to go pick it up and here is my challenge.

Because it has been more or less sitting for at least three years I want to get all the fluids and filters changed (LOF, trans service, differential fluid, brake fluid, cooling system, etc.) before I drive it home (to Reno, NV). I have been assured it is ready to drive and mechanically perfect so I am not expecting issues on that front. I just don't want to operate it on old fluids.

The LD is located in Hemet, CA. (pretty close to the factory) and I have no clue on quality mechanics in the area that you would trust your LD to. Referrals or suggestions would be greatly appreciated with contact information as I need to make an appointment before flying in to pick it up.

Also, it still has the original tires with lots of tread, but the sidewalls show some signs of cracking from age. Is there a consensus suggestion or recommendation on replacement tires for the coach and where to get them because I need to buy those also before driving home?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can either respond through this group or can email me direct at todd (at)financialmentor (dot) com or you can call me at 775-852-8897.

Thanks,

Todd R. Tresidder 1995 22' TK

Quality Mechanic near Hemet CA.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19795
Todd,

First off, congrats on your new purchase.  I'm sure you will enjoy your LD for many years to come.
 I can't help you on your mechanic question.  But you definitely want to change the tires.  You may also want to change the belts and hoses.  Give them a real close look.  If nothing else, buy the belts and hoses and just keep them with you, just in case.
As far what tires to get.  It depends a little on what kind of driving you will be doing.  If you are doing mainly highway in good weather, I suggest the Michelin XPS RIB.  But if you intend to do some early spring or late fall trips in your area, there is a good chance you will encounter snow.  If that is the case, I recommend the Bridgestone R265 or R273.  The R265 is a 15 year old design that was supposed to be discontinued, with the R273 as it's replacement.  Bridgestone had lots of commercial contracts that called for the R265, so they will continue to produce it in the popular sizes.  Don't ask me what those sizes are.  From what a Bridgestone engineer told me, the R265 would do better in wet conditions, as it has more sipping than the R273.  I told the BS engineer my application and he said the R265 was the better way to go.  I live in Colorado, so I always run the risk of traveling in snow.  Both tires are basically all season highway tires, whereas the XPS is a highway tire.

BTW, I'll be buying a whole new set of R265's real soon.

Good luck,

-Victor

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Quality Mechanic near Hemet CA.
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19825
Hi Todd,

Congrats on your purchase.
 Regarding a reliable mechanic.  Lazy Daze buys their trucks from Peck Truck Center in Whittier, CA.  I was referred to them by Tim at Lazy Daze and will be having some work done by them due to the accident I had.  The contact I was given is John Rudberg, 562-692-7267.  Tim indicated they would do good work (probably because of the business LD gives them).  Hope this helps.
 Kathi (sitting in San Dimas while my Baby is getting a new "hair do".)

toddtresidder wrote:

After months of searching, I am now the proud owner of a low mileage 1995 22 foot twin king with Chevy 454.

I'm very excited to go pick it up and here is my challenge.

Because it has been more or less sitting for at least three years I want to get all the fluids and filters changed (LOF, trans service, differential fluid, brake fluid, cooling system, etc.) before I drive it home (to Reno, NV). I have been assured it is ready to drive and mechanically perfect so I am not expecting issues on that front. I just don't want to operate it on old fluids.

The LD is located in Hemet, CA. (pretty close to the factory) and I have no clue on quality mechanics in the area that you would trust your LD to. Referrals or suggestions would be greatly appreciated with contact information as I need to make an appointment before flying in to pick it up.

Also, it still has the original tires with lots of tread, but the sidewalls show some signs of cracking from age. Is there a consensus suggestion or recommendation on replacement tires for the coach and where to get them because I need to buy those also before driving home?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can either respond through this group or can email me direct at todd (at)financialmentor (dot) com or you can call me at 775-852-8897.

Thanks,

Todd R. Tresidder 1995 22' TK

http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705126185:HM/A=1481646/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_flake/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

">lifewithalazydazerv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

>.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Quality Mechanic near Hemet CA.
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19934
Steve,

Oh, I thought you were in Reno for some reason?  Great, another CO LD!

Yes, I found the R273 SWP II at Costco as well, for a very good price.  Like you found out, they can't get the R265.  The best price I have found for them is at http://www.1010tires.com .  They have them for $105 plus shipping, but no taxes, IIRC.  I plan to get them from them and have them mounted at a local truck tire place, $12 per tire for mount & balance.
It comes out to slightly more than Costco, but I'd rather have a truck shop do the work than some kid at Costco.  The R265 is an all season tire as well.  Go to the web site I mentioned for a good picture of each and you can see how the R265 has more channeling to get the water out of the tire.
Whereas the R273 has wider spacing between lugs and ribs.  I think either tire will work great, but like I mentioned before, the BS engineer said the R265 was a slightly better choice.

Hope this helps,

-Victor Longmont, CO