Skip to main content
Topic: Off Season? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Off Season?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19675
Steve,

What's off season in California?

Karen
Summer. Hot, but mostly so crowded that finding nice public cg's near home in SoCal isn't a worthwhile pursuit. Sept - May is 'in' season for us.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19678
Thanks, Steve. We'll have to re-think our summer plans. I don't mind the heat but I can do without crowds.

We'll be leaving Jersey in a few weeks for another extended trip in our 22 FT Baby Daze. The first month we'll be in Florida and after that, no plans except to be away for at least 5 months and to see the northwest.

For anyone who read my earlier posts about why we couldn't travel, our son and daughter-in-law lost the baby and our daughter is moving back home so she'll take care of her big "puppy".

Any suggestions about where to go in Oregon, Washington, Idaho etc? email to zins at infi dot net.

Thanks,

Karen

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19681
Any suggestions about where to go in Oregon, Washington, Idaho
etc?

email to zins at infi dot net.

Thanks, Karen
Sorry to hear of your loss.

If you get up into WA consider going over to Vanc Island. I haven't done it in my LD yet but my sister lives there (on a boat) and my mother was in a nursing home there so I visited often through the years. I am planning to take "Mame" up there in Sept.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19682
Linda, thanks. Maybe we'll meet in B.C. I've gotten some wonderful ideas and it looks like we'll be spending a long time exploring the beautiful northwest.

Keep the info coming!! I'm printing it and keeping it in Ladybug.

Karen

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 19792
Any suggestions about where to go in Oregon, Washington, Idaho etc? email to zins at infi dot net.> Thanks, Karen
Karen, In response to your request for suggested destinations in the Pacific Northwest, we would submit the following (admittedly long) list.
 Although my wife and I live in Washington State we believe the Oregon Coast is the premier attraction in this area.  US 101 hugs the changing coast line like it does nowhere else. We prefer the stretch from Lincoln City down to Newport and try to do it while traveling southbound so that the turnouts are on our side of the highway.
Spend time in Depot Bay.  Reward yourself in Lincoln City with a jumbo-combo shrimp and crab cocktail at the Fish Pedlar a quarter mile east of US 101.  Turn off at the north approach to the Newport Bridge drive east down the hill and look for the Fish Pedlar on your right.

Also in Oregon and just east of Portland, you should visit the Columbia River Gorge especially as the country has turned its attention to Lewis and Clark's expedition.

Within Washington State, any of the great volcanoes are worth a visit.  If you pick Mt. St. Helens we suggest that you consider approaching it from Randle WA via US Forest Service Roads to Windy Ridge. Use your toad if you have one. You will have an experience not shared by those who visit the more convenient observation points off of I-5.

Although the Olympic Peninsula has been logged to the point that it no longer ranks as a scenic attraction there are points that are worth the trip.  The Hoh Rain Forest and Olympic National Park Visitor Center near Forks WA are great spots as is Lake Crescent also on Highway 101.
 An attraction perhaps not widely known outside our state but one you should not miss is Deception Pass.  From I-5 head west on State Route 20 and then southbound over the high bridge connecting Fidalgo Island with Whidbey Island.  Whidbey is one of the longest islands in the US and the only way for the tidal water to flood and drain from the east side is through this deep and narrow abyss.  Drive accross, park, and walk back to enjoy the view.  Try to see the display during max flood or ebb. There is a state park nearby.
 Consider taking your LD aboard the Washington State Ferry System for a cruise through the San Juan Islands.  We have camped at Moran State Park on Orcas Island.  We found it helpful to have industrial strength steel wheels welded to the frame near the rear axle.  This may not be a concern with an LD.  The transition from loading ramp to ferry deck is determined by the level of the tidal water. WARNING: Depending on the islands you select, it may be necessary to back onto the ferry departing some islands. If you chose not to drive aboard, at least walk on for a day trip from Anacortes through the San Juans.

On the other side of the state you might visit the Palouse Country.
Eons of wind have blown up hills which pile up against one another.
If you appreciate agriculture and would like to see the bounty arrayed in colorful ribbons around these hillsides then be sure to visit Pullman, Palouse, and Colfax, WA. and Moscow ID.  If you head east from Moscow on Idaho Route 8 you can get a Helmer Burger in Helmer and travel on for a Blackberry Shake in Elk River in the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains.  That country is exquisite.
Perhaps you could take in the Life On Wheels Conference while you are there.

I apologize for the length of this reply.

Nate Walker

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 19793
Nate,

That sounds like a wonderful trip!!! I forgot to ask for places to eat. We'd go 100 miles out of the way for good eats :-)

We have a toad, Wrangler, and love to go off roading. That's why we bought a "beater" Jeep. Would you suggest taking the toad on the ferry and leaving the LD behind?
 Idaho is a must see since we have to finally meet Phlopz, aka Bob and Joan.
 When we get to California we'll go over all of the suggestions about where to go, and may spend a couple of months sightseeing in the northwest.

Feel free to pass on secret eating spots ;-)

Thanks again Nate, and everyone else who responded.

Karen

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Off Season?
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 19807
Karen,
 Take a look at message #10212 for some of my recomendations on what to see in Washington State.
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: San Juan Islands (was Off Season?)
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 19811
Would you suggest taking the toad on the

ferry and leaving the LD behind?
Taking the LD on the ferry is VERY expensive.  Not so much in the off season, but still at least $75 (figure over $100 in the summer). If you take both vehicles, it will be even more (and you might want to unhitch the Jeep).  That being said, we go camping at a place called West Beach on Orcas Island every summer.  The sites are not very level and there is NO sewer (not even a dump) but there are water and power hookups.  There are also some sites with beautiful views of the bay.  They have a dock, and many people bring boats.  The crabbing is great.  We bring our car for day trips around the island.

Just another opinion!

Laurie
Laurie - 2018 RB

Was Off-Season, Now San Juans
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 19812
Nate, That sounds like a wonderful trip!!! I forgot to ask for places to eat. We'd go 100 miles out of the way for good eats :-)> Karen
Karen, Both Rich and Laurie have posted good reason to leve the LD in or near Anacortes and make the ferry trip through the San Juans either as walk-ons or driving your Jeep. As Rich said it is the view from the ferry (as it traverses the narrow passage ways and approaches the scenic docks) that makes it spectacular.  Driving around on the islands is not that different from driving on the mainland. Still, the Jeep would allow you to see much more in a limited time and then decide if you want to spend additional time camped in the islands.

I will try to correspond directly with you concerning our favorite eating spots.

Nate

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: San Juan Islands (was Off Season?)
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 19820
"we go camping at a place called West Beach on Orcas Island every summer. The sites are not very level and there is NO sewer (not even a dump) but there are water and power hookups."

Laurie

My wife and I having staying at West Beach for years. What a beautiful site. We take our sea kayaks and paddle for hours in either direction. The tides are something to watch out for since they can produce strong currents. We also like to day trip to Friday Harbor, leaving the LD at the ferry terminal and walking aboard.
West Beach has told use to dump our gray water on the ground. Since the parking spots are grass, this does not seem to be a problem. We dump the black tank back on the mainland, usually at the rest stop on I-5 or in Anacortes.
We plan on going back again this summer. We especially like being there on the 4th of July. It has a nice, small town feel.
The San Juans are on the top of our list of "best places to vacation".

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze