Skip to main content
Topic: 91 Truck Battery (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
91 Truck Battery
Yahoo Message Number: 19643
Have 91 Ford 26.5 LD Need to replace the truck battery. What is a good battery type, brand, cost? I have a gel type in it now did not last too long for its cost. Thanks BILL

Re: 91 Truck Battery
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19659
Have 91 Ford 26.5 LD Need to replace the truck battery. What is a good battery type, brand, cost? I have a gel type in it now did not last too long for its cost. Thanks BILL
I don't see any special requirements for the starting battery - they seem to last about as long as those in our cars, 6 to 8 years. We generally start and drive the LD at least once a month in off- seasons. Use patterns will make a bigger difference than brand, as will a disconnect switch to prevent phantom loads - which we also have.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19663
"Have 91 Ford 26.5 LD Need to replace the truck battery. What is a good battery type, brand, cost? I have a gel type in it now did not last too long for its cost."

Bill

As Steve said, a standard replacement battery should work. Check Sears, Pep Boys, Etc. A reason why your existing battery did not last long is because it was a 'gel cell'. You truck's charging system is designed for lead-acid batteries. Gel cells required a lower charge voltage. The higher voltage of the truck would overheat and dry out the gel cell's electrolyte. Since the battery is sealed, you cannot replace the missing electrolyte.
You over cooked the poor thing. Stick with the normal lead-acid battery. Make sure your charging system is working correctly.

Good luck

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19669
"A reason why your existing battery did not last long is because it was a 'gel cell'. You truck's charging system is designed for lead-acid batteries."
 Just to clarify: a "gel cell" is a lead-acid battery. (So is an absorbed glass mat or "AGM" battery.) But Larry's explanation was correct: gel-type lead-acid batteries do require a lower charging voltage than wet-type batteries, and are more easily damaged by overcharging, Your truck's charging system is set up for the higher charging voltage of a wet lead-acid battery, and the chances are that lead to your gel battery's early demise.
 As for a replacement: Sears' Diehard Gold and Diehard Weatherhandler batteries topped the list in all five categories tested in Consumer Reports' last report on car batteries (Oct. 2002, page 29). Worst brands: ACDelco and EverStart.

Andy Baird :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"